Snyders JerkyWidenersRepackboxLoad Data
Reloading EverythingTitan ReloadingLee PrecisionRotoMetals2
MidSouth Shooters Supply Inline Fabrication
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Whats the record wait time on a GB?

Boolit Grand Master

Whats the record wait time on a GB?

There's nothing sweeter than seeing a long awaited GB come to fruition and finally getting your hands on the object of much patience and hope. The lack of GB molds for sale on S&S just shows that absence makes the heart grow fonder.
    But some of these GB's can drag out so long, that the patience of those waiting on them is even more impressive than the mold itself!
    The longest I have seen one go is 2yrs 4months and counting, but I wonder what's the record? How long have you waited on a GB mold to be done, and how awesome was it when it finally got delivered?
    Precision in the wrong place is only a placebo.

Boolit Grand Master
    A year or two ago there was a group buy for a .375 from Mihec. It never happened. I gave up and dropped at about a year and a half. Too bad. When you can get 'em, he makes nice moulds.

Boolit Grand Master

The short answer it TDL.

I reevaluate my need for a mold at the 6 and 12 month marks. If I can find a similar replacement readily available, I will cancel my GB and order from the other vendor (Typically Tom at Accurate or Al at NOE) or completely withdraw. If I still decide I gotta have that particular mold, then I will stick it out. I have plenty of other things to occupy my time. Thankfully I've only been here for a little over a year and have only dropped out of very few GBs.

Traditionally I see MiHa's taking the longest. Not sure why. Never got a real answer as some of the GBs have plenty of members to get it going in a fairly short period of time. Maybe its an equipment thing. IDK.

I am glad that NOE and Accurate exist and have a VERY FAST turn around time. Ive ordered more from Al and Tom lately than anyone else. I do have 4 MP molds on order currently though.

Boolit Master

MiHec 3 cavity brass solid - 6.5mm Cruise Missle is at 27 months, 21 days. I suspect it will have the record by the time it is cancelled. I hope the cancellation doesn't happen but there seem to be technical problems.
    John
    W.TN

Boolit Grand Master

Hmmm, to be clear, this was not started as a gripe thread. I just figured that if you wait 1, 2, or even three years for a mold, instead of buying from one of the venders that could get you something similar in a few days or weeks, then there must be a lot of pride about the lengths that were gone through to own the best.
    I want to hear from the guy that went the distance and got exactly what he wanted.
    I know it's worth it to you, because otherwise, no one would wait that long for something that can be had faster.

Let us hear marvelous things from the guy that ordered a mold when his daughter was born and gifted it to his new SIL when it was finally delivered! LOL!
    So far we are at 2 years 5 months for the 429244 GB.
    Did any of them make it to 3 years?

Boolit Grand Master

I've lead a charmed life as far as GB's go. With one exception the GB closed and went into production soon after I signed up. Six months, tops. On one occasion I felt there wasn't enough interest based on the time it took to get a few folks signed up so I dropped out when I found a mould I liked better. On one occasion I mentioned a mould on Swede's suggestion thread after another member expressed an interest and by the time a third member chimed in Swede had made a run and they were on his site. I'm familiar with manufacturing lead times and the economy of scale so you won't hear any gripes from me.
    Endowment Life Member NRA, Life Member TSRA, Member WACA, NRA Whittington Center, BBHC
    Smokeless powder is a passing fad! -Steve Garbe
    I hate rude behavior in a man. I won't tolerate it. -Woodrow F. Call, Lonesome Dove
    Some of my favorite recipes start out with a handful of depleted counterbalance devices.

Boolit Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by GLL View Post
    goodsteel:

My comment is really not so much a gripe as it is a curiousness. Mihec's molds are outstanding and I own a BUNCH of them.
    I sure do not know why it should take 2 1/2 + years to produce one though ! There is indeed a very long list of molds waiting
    in line to be made !

Jerry

Indubitably. I only own one from that maker but it's one of my very most favorites.
    Seriously, it's such a pleasure to use a really good quality mold, and they last so long, it's really worth something. Especially if you are trying to make consistent rifle boolits. The factory molds just cant hardly touch our custom makers.

There are two universal lifes truths that apply to custom molds:
    1. You get what you pay for
    2. Good things come to he who waits.

I was just trying to make sure this is not coming across like an invitation to bash any particular mold maker. I was just wondering how patient some of our membership is.
    Personally, I'm willing to wait up to a year on a design that I know works, and that I can't get from any other maker. Haven't found that particular situation yet, but I'm sure I will. I just can't personally wait any longer than that (mostly because I get broke sometime during a typical year, and would have to do without my cigars for three months in order to pay, and I'm so very sorry, but a mold is only a mold but a good cigar is a smoke.
    (slight adaption from Kipling. LOL!)
    Last edited by MBTcustom; 07-29-2014 at 10:34 PM.

Boolit Grand Master

358156, I lost count of how long that one went. But there were well over people signed up and I think there was at least one Honcho change. Pretty sure that buy was close to two years. I was on the list for the 6.5 Cruise Missile. But I bought a 358 Winchester instead so I dropped off that list.

Boolit Grand Master

Back in the woods a piece, just outside Auburn, AL.
    The longest one I was in, was the 358156, which was 2 years. The 358-165-RF closed before Christmas and it hasn't been invoiced yet though. It might be a while.
    KE4GWE - - - - - - Colt 1860, it just feels right.

Boolit Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by Beagle333 View Post
    The longest one I was in, was the 358156, which was 2 years. The 358-165-RF closed before Christmas and it hasn't been invoiced yet though. It might be a while.
    Wow. That's awesome.
    So, now you have your mold that you waited two years on?
    I trust it is everything you hoped it would be and worth every second.

Boolit Grand Master

Instant gratification is fine if you want a Big Mac. Patience will get you an awesome custom mould.
    Endowment Life Member NRA, Life Member TSRA, Member WACA, NRA Whittington Center, BBHC
    Smokeless powder is a passing fad! -Steve Garbe
    I hate rude behavior in a man. I won't tolerate it. -Woodrow F. Call, Lonesome Dove
    Some of my favorite recipes start out with a handful of depleted counterbalance devices.

Boolit Grand Master

Oh yeah. I bought two of em. Of course I would have rather gotten them "next day" when I put in my name.... but yes it is worth it and a great mold, and I don't regret sticking out the wait. I'd much rather have a MP mold 2 years from now, than to be too impatient to ride out a buy and never have one!

Boolit Master

The longest group buy I've seen took place when NOE was going through growing pains. It was the 323471 MkII. I was the honcho. The buy opened on 6/23/2011 and the molds were delivered on 1/24/2014. So, 2 years 7 months. NOE's growing pains was uncomfortable, but Oh So Worth It!

Cast Boolits Search Tool

The Learning Never Stops!

Boolit Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by SciFiJim View Post
    The longest group buy I've seen took place when NOE was going through growing pains. It was the 323471 MkII. I was the honcho. The buy opened on 6/23/2011 and the molds were delivered on 1/24/2014. So, 2 years 7 months. NOE's growing pains was uncomfortable, but Oh So Worth It!
    Very true! Love me some Swede Nelson molds!
    Matter of fact, he's helping me with a custom right now. Can't wait to get some of that.

Boolit Grand Master
    ^What he said, in spades.^
    Personally, the longest I have waited was for my 312-640"s. I dropped out when I bought my house due to financial burdens--darned wife is addicted to having a roof overhead--and it was still active over 8 months later when I got a promotion and a raise. I signed back up and got my molds about 10 months later. I do not begrudge the wait. I have 7 MP molds now, all but one is a Cramer HP. I cast almost nothing else these days for my 38's, 32's, 44's and 45's. Accurate and NOE take care of my rifles, so a lot of my old time favorites have fallen by the way.
    _________________________________________________It's not that I can't spell: it is that I can't type.

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by GLL View Post
    The curious thing about the 29 months for 429244 GB is that there are currently over 100 buyers committed!
    Seems an easy enough thing to put a gas check base on a 429421 clone, and that it would be a clear enough seller to actually run it. One must wonder. . .
    WWJMBD?

In the Land of Oz, we cast with wheel weight and 2% Tin, Man.

Boolit Grand Master
    I've only been in on two group buys. The first one "spoiled" me as it was an NOE buy for a 314008 four cavity aluminum mould... that I got into just as it closed and production began. It's my favorite heavy (125 gr) bullet for the 327 Fed Mag.

Next, I was in on the Mihec GB for the 314640 as well. I signed up for mould the same time I started to process of having my custom "Project 616" built. The gun was ready in 7 months while the mould took more than 18 (from reaching quota.) I recently had a great casting session at the home of Dale53 and that brass Mihec mould is every bit as good as promised, it just took what I regard as a super long time to get. To repeat what other folks have been saying, if you need a mould right away, then by definition a custom GB mould is probably not for you; but if you want a specific custom mould, you must decide whether you want it enough to put up with the wait. JMHO and my limited personal experience.

Froggie
    "It aint easy being green!"

Boolit Grand Master

You gotta love the new NOE Group Buy requirements...... Find a mold that several people like, using the discussion forum, then just get ten people signed up and he orders the tooling and runs the thing! And, you get 15% off the price if you were signed up for the GB.
    The .270 mold buy that I was just in, went from "Open for signups" to "Last Call - ordering tooling" in only 8 days!

Boolit Grand Master

GS, I was thinking about this post last night before I went to bed. I was thinking about what the mold MEANS TO ME. There is one that I am still waiting on that will likely be my most treasured mold.

It is MiHa's Ruger only 45 mold that my father had signed up for, before his untimely passing. It was started on 4/2/13 puting it at almost 16 months now. I took over his spot on the list and have been anxiously awaiting this mold. This one will likely be my most prized mold out of the collection and I will wait as long as it takes to get it.

http://castboolits.gunloads.com/show...Only-Cramer-HP

Boolit Master

Well I don't think an extended wait time increases mould awesomeness. Either a mould is awesome or it is . . . something else.

That is not a smack or a comment on anyone or anything. Simply an observation. Sometimes awesome things take time and sometimes they just show up.
    Last edited by Fishman; 07-31-2014 at 02:29 PM.
    "Is all this REALLY necessary?"

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast