Inline FabricationReloading EverythingWidenersMidSouth Shooters Supply
RepackboxRotoMetals2Lee PrecisionSnyders Jerky
Load Data Titan Reloading
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: medium eye relief scopes

Sorry to dredge this up from so long ago, but some of the fellows are still around. The scope on the model 54 in the NRA museum link above is a Rudolph Noske scope. They were made with enough eye relief to sit forward of the bolt handle. Noske made scopes beginning in the 30s and into the 40s. Latest ad I saw was in a Field and Stream from 1947. 2.5 and 4X. They were nice little 7/8" tubed scopes, the Army even tried them out in the late 30s. But Noske was a German, no wartime contracts came his way. O'Conner and Elmer Keith wrote about the Noske scopes. Like O'Conner I feel it was a better scope than either the Alaskan or Texan. The objective lens is adjustable, and even though I can no longer see a front sight with my right eye, I can adjust the focus of the Noske so that I can see without glasses. One now deceased writer/researcher stated that the last of the Noske scopes were liquidated via Stoegers in 1954. I bought a 54 Stoegers, couldn't find any mention of the liquidation. Both Bob Bell and Nick Stroebel said that Noske quit during the war, but the 1947 ad mentioned above says otherwise. I did read somewhere that he'd said he was having trouble getting aluminum tubing during the war. He had obtained a patent on a prismatic scope during the war and called it Noske's Little Imp. I think he was leaning toward developing that and getting away from the tube scopes. The Boone and Saturn scopes are similar, but use mirrors in the place of the prism. He may have been working with Tinsley labs on that, he died in 1958 at the age of 83. I have one of the 2.5x Hunter models. The elevation adjustment is graduated for a 173gr bullet at 2700fps. I used it once in a 88rd match on my K31. I must've bumped the windage adjustment a bit and was throwing some misses, but dialed it back in and finished up with a good string of 10s from 300yds on the 600yd reduced for 300 target.
    Last edited by madsenshooter; 12-15-2019 at 12:42 PM.
    "If people let the government decide what foods they eat and what medicines they take, their bodies will soon be in as sorry a state as are the souls of those who live under tyranny."

-Thomas Jefferson

FWIW

A scope mounted on a Mauser 98 as the OP described can be accomplished with a modern Simmons 2.5x20 or 4x20 shotgun scope, which have an eye relief of a little over 5".

Using a Weaver-type rail will allow positioning the scope with the eyepiece end just forward of the bolt handle. (BT, DT - NTS)

The result is like a receiver peepsight with some magnification - very fast sight acquisition, which is useful on suddenly presented hunting shots at game.

Now I lay me down to sleep
    A gun beside me is what I keep
    If I awake, and you're inside
    The coroner's van is your next ride

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12