Lee PrecisionMidSouth Shooters SupplyWidenersRepackbox
RotoMetals2Reloading EverythingInline FabricationLoad Data
Snyders Jerky Titan Reloading
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: how to clean smelted bullet jackets

Boolit Buddy milsurpcollector1970's Avatar

how to clean smelted bullet jackets

Is there a way to clean bullet jackets after you have smelted them, mine still have lead stuck to them and are kind of dark/scorched

I was wanting to sell them but I don't think the scrap yard will buy them in the condition they are in now.

Boolit Master

I have had good luck dipping them out of the pot and dumping them into a hardware cloth basket I made then while still hot I add some more heat with a weed burner and GENTLY shake. You would be surprised at how much lead comes out.
    It's not the years in your life that count. It's the life in your years (Abe Lincoln)

"A free people ought not only to be armed and disciplined, but they should have sufficient arms and ammunition to maintain a status of independence from any who might attempt to abuse them, which would include their own government.” George Washington

Boolit Master

I usually do my first fluxing with the clips still in the melt. It cleans them and then I'm only removing mostly clean clips.
    Hope this helps,
    rick

Boolit Master
    ^^^^^^^^^^^ works every time. Flux your melt before you remove them.
    Paul G.
    Once I was young, now I am old and in between went by way to fast.

The end move in politics is always to pick up a gun.
    -- R. Buckminster Fuller

Boolit Master
    Merlin I bet you could do a step by step w/pictures and get a sticky out of that, depending on the results. Lots of us have trouble getting it clean enough to sell as copper to cheap scrapyards.

I've thought about seeing what a cement mixer would do to the presentability.

Boolit Master
    All of my slag (dust, clips, Jackets) from a smelting session goes into the drier that I converted to my case tumbler in a 5 gallon bucket. Let it spin for an hour. Everything is separated. All of the condense is sifted through 2 screens (first is a 1/4" screen the second is a normal house screen). The 1/4" catches all of the larger lead peaces, the clips, and jackets. The house screen catches all of the small lead particles. All of the dust sifts through to the bottom.

Boolit Buddy

Like dragonrider said, flux before you remove the jackets from the pot. Then try throwing the hot jackets in a bucket of cold water. the fast temp change might get them back to copper color.

Boolit Bub
    Has anyone used a magnet on those jackets? Most jackets are steel with copper plating from foreign manufactures. The club I belong to has an indoor range. We were talking to a member that deals with scrape and he was amazed at the scrape price we get, he said there is alot of ammo manufacturers using steel jackets and plating with copper. He dip a magnet into one bucket, attached was many jackets.

Banned

I'm going to try the mesh box and torch method. I just melted down a bunch of range salvage and have a lot more.

What is the going rate for the copper jackets? I have maybe 30 pounds of them together now. I really don't want cash for them, just wonder if they're valuable enough to a scrap yard that they might trade me lead for them.

Boolit Master
    If you can get copper price some people get like $2.50/lb, but most scrapyards try and reclassify it.

Banned

Didn't know copper was worth that much. When I get enough together, I'll go see them and try to come up with a ratio of trade for lead that they'll be agreeable too. I don't know the guy, but there's one scrap guy in town our scout troop brings aluminum cans to because he's honest. I think I'll go get to know that guy here soon.

Banned

$2.65/lb here. Just took in 110 lbs last week. Along with 250 lbs of brass at $2.10/lb. I'm going to buy a new rifle with it.

Boolit Grand Master

The cleanest you can get the jacket material will only get you at best, #2 brass prices, at most yards. A magnet will remove the steel jacket material, and having it separate will enhance your value.
    I usually wait till I have quiet a bit of all metals, and trade for lead instead of cash. It works out for a better deal for you, and the scrapper.

Boolit Master

$1.75 here, 2 - 5 gallon buckets 2 weeks ago.

Boolit Buddy
    I got 2.40 per lb. A nice swap for a bunch of medical cores. That made for a lot of cheap lead. I didnt clean mine up, but I wondered about just hosing it off a little. If they would have refused me I would have brought it home, cleaned it up and tried again somewhere else
    Last edited by Scout800a; 07-29-2014 at 11:57 PM.

In Remembrance - Super Moderator & Official Cast Boolits Sketch Artist

I smelt mine in a large pot over a open fire and add used motor oil or transmission fluid to flux. It will light up in a good hot flame and I just stir it up all the lead releases from the jackets. If you want the jackets to be back to a copper look while they are hot hit them with a water hose. The jackets are mostly gliding metals AKA red brass I would run a magnet over them to get any metal jackets out.
    Reloading to save money I am sure the saving is going to start soon

Boolit Buddy

I smelt tons of range scrap. The best luck i have had so far is to use a cement mixer with a little soap and water. But i make sure i shake the jackets to get as much lead as i can out of them. I only get Clean brass price for it as there are many jackets that are made of brass. Also there is a lot of bimetal jackets that need to be removed. I also sift everything to get the smaller pieces out as most scrap yards see it as "dirt".

Boolit Bub
    Maybe a stupid question but can you smelt the jackets down . And if you did would the ingots be bright like copper.

Boolit Grand Master
    Quote Originally Posted by tomme boy View Post
    $2.65/lb here. Just took in 110 lbs last week. Along with 250 lbs of brass at $2.10/lb. I'm going to buy a new rifle with it.
    If you are getting that kind of money it is worth a drive across IA to sell mine. I will have a couple hundred pounds soon.
    You will learn far more at the casting, loading, and shooting bench than you ever will at a computer bench.

Boolit Master
    My scrapyard classifies my copper jackets as red brass. i get 1.75 per lb. i don't gripe to much as most yards here don't want any of it.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast