Snyders JerkyWidenersMidSouth Shooters SupplyLoad Data
Reloading EverythingInline FabricationLee PrecisionTitan Reloading
RotoMetals2 Repackbox
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: I'm retiring

I'm retiring

Woke up this morning and told my wife I'm done. 25 years of working construction is enough. I was diagnosed with stage 4 kidney cancer last fall. It's spread around now and the chemos been no fun. I have two weeks left on a project and then I'll let my crews go. Going to offer my lead guys the opportunity to buy out my trucks, tools and stock. Done chasing money, missed to much family time. Looking towards relaxing for a change.
    Life's hard, even harder if your stupid.

Boolit Master

I retired 30 April this year.So far I have enjoyed it.One of the main reason's,aside from giving Uncle Sam 34 years,was my health.
    Pro Patria-Ne Desit Virtus

Boolit Grand Master

Taylor

I notice the 503 Infantry Regiment DUI. That is my Regimental affiliation. I was with Recon Section, HHC, 1/503rd. (different TO&E back then)

Larry Gibson

Boolit Grand Master

Retirement should come first while we are healthy enough to enjoy it. After 6 years I'd rather work in misery, than try to relax and enjoy loafing, in pain.

Moderator Emeritus

plmitch, I hope you get better and will pray for your recovery.....now, retirement is great I've done it twice....once because I couldnt work for what became a Godless cutthroat p.d. and the second time by 36 votes....What I'm trying to say is that it is great being with my wife and grandkids....chasing cows around and shooting and reloading.....sleeping when I get tired and by all means.....loose that dawgone watch....have a ball!
    When guns are outlawed only criminals and the government will have them and at that time I will see very little difference in either!

"Within the covers of the Bible are the answers for all the problems man faces." President Ronald Reagan

"We must reject the idea that every time a law's broken, society is guilty rather than the law breaker. It is time to restore the American precept that each individual is acoutable for his actions." Presdent Ronald Reagan

Moderator Emeritus

Congrats on the retirement decision, I hope and pray you beat the Cancer.
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    “If someone has a gun and is trying to kill you, it would be reasonable to shoot back with your own gun.”
    ― The Dalai Lama, Seattle Times, May 2001

Boolit Master

Great decision!
    I have been retired 3 1/2 years and love it !!
    Play as hard as you worked and it will be FUN
    Mike
    Last edited by skeettx; 07-28-2014 at 06:14 PM.
    NRA Benefactor 2004 USAF RET 1971-95

Perma-Banned
    wish you was retirin' for more pleasurable reasons friend. hopin' for the best for ya. have a good'en, bubba.

Quote Originally Posted by mold maker View Post
    Retirement should come first while we are healthy enough to enjoy it. After 6 years I'd rather work in misery, than try to relax and enjoy loafing, in pain.
    You got that right.......
    Experience is the source of all knowledge.

I envy those that can retire. I put a daughter through college at $60,000 a year all told. So much for my retirement.
    But then, i don't know what the heck I would do all day if I were retired. There is only so much casting, reloading, shooting, gardening and yard work that a guy can do each day.
    Collector and shooter of guns and other items that require a tax stamp, Lead and brass scrounger. Never too much brass, lead or components in inventory! Always looking to win beauty contests with my reloads.

Boolit Master
    Good for you, I hope you enjoy retirement. Relax and get better.

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by Larry Gibson View Post
    Taylor

I notice the 503 Infantry Regiment DUI. That is my Regimental affiliation. I was with Recon Section, HHC, 1/503rd. (different TO&E back then)

Larry Gibson
    (Hard Rock) Charlie 2nd Battalion
    Pro Patria-Ne Desit Virtus

Grouchy Old Curmudgeon

Best of luck with the cancer pl and I too wish it was for a more favorable condition that you make the decision. I've worked construction for 50 years now and I'm sure it surprises most people that for me....retirement is a fate worse than death. I do hope you get to enjoy yours for a VERY long time yet.

Boolit Master

retiring

I wish you the best, you will be in my prayers God Bless.

Banned
    Not a cheerful reason to retire, not good. retirement, on the other hand, is a good thing. Did it almost 11 months ago, when my wife did. I had planned on working another year or so, but working conditions became such that I told the middlemen of the business I worked with they could take a jump up certain parts of my anatomy. My financial planner kept telling me I could retire, had enough assets and investments. He's my oldest son, who works for a large financial planning/investment company. I know he's not trying to sell me something, and doesn't want us to have to live with him when we are older!

I'm almost busier now than I was when I was working.

Boolit Mold
    Quote Originally Posted by plmitch View Post
    Woke up this morning and told my wife I'm done. 25 years of working construction is enough. I was diagnosed with stage 4 kidney cancer last fall. It's spread around now and the chemos been no fun. I have two weeks left on a project and then I'll let my crews go. Going to offer my lead guys the opportunity to buy out my trucks, tools and stock. Done chasing money, missed to much family time. Looking towards relaxing for a change.
    God bless you brother. I retired from "Ma Bell" back in 2010 to come home and take care of my dying mother. Hope all of the "Big C" is killed and you can enjoy the rest of your life and spend all the time you want with your family.

Boolit Master
    Good for you!!! I retired in Sept/04, 6mo later-- back to work (contract) for two years, retired again, 6 weeks later back to work (different job, but related) for 6 months, retired again, 3months later back to work (short contract, 6 weeks) and haven't been back to work since! Every once in awhile I think it might be nice to do a little work for money, but after a few minutes of reflection,----naw, that's not a good idea! Hope the cancer treatment gets your cancer into remission for a VERY long time!!
    R.D.M.

Boolit Master
    Glad to hear of your upcoming retirement, PMitch, but not for the reason behind it. God can do mighty things if it is His will. I will pray that it is. I retired last August, and not having to punch a time clock is great. I'm not one to sit around much, but my wife is very good at keeping me occupied. Last summer, I laid 350 sqft of ceramic tile in our basement, just got done putting new hardwood flooring in our dining room and hallway, around 320 sqft total. Now I'm working on the trim, since it all has to be repositioned. Next, brakes on our van, and our daughter's.

Boolit Master
    Hope you kick the cancer and enjoy retirement.

I retired last year after working for 39 years designing electronics do-dads -- should have done it sooner.
    ph4570

Banned
    Beat the cancer and have some fun

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast