Lee PrecisionWidenersSnyders JerkyRepackbox
MidSouth Shooters SupplyRotoMetals2Titan ReloadingLoad Data
Inline Fabrication Reloading Everything

Thread: remington 770

In Remembrance

remington 770

Any of you use a 770. I picked up one yesterday. I didn't want a 770 or a 300 win mag, but I wanted the scope that was mounted to it. I am thinking the best use for this will be in someone elses rack, or possibly as a loaner.

Boolit Master
    i know the barrel is non-replaceable. i will never own one.

Boolit Master
    30 miles South of Cheyenne, unfortunately
    "I am thinking the best use for this will be in someone elses rack"

An excellent idea.
    When it's time to fight, you fight like you are the third monkey on the ramp to Noah's Ark.... and brother, it's STARTING TO RAIN!!

Boolit Grand Master FergusonTO35's Avatar
    I don't really see why anybody would want the 770 when there are some pretty nice budget rifles out nowadays. The Marlin X7 and Ruger American come to mind. Heck sometimes you can even find a basic 700 for the same price.
    Currently casting and loading: .32 Auto, .380 Auto, .38 Special, 9X19, .357 Magnum, .257 Roberts, 6.5 Creedmoor, .30 WCF, .308 WCF, .45-70.

Boolit Master
    3 things I do not loan out.... to anyone, for any reason. my chain saw, my rifles, and a good woman.

The 770 is an example of what you loan somebody when you're trying to convince them to buy their own darn rifle. This one guy I share a lease with is like that. Something like 7 years ago he donates his one and only deer rifle to his son, who is not even all that interested in hunting. Now every year he has to borrow his rifle back from junior to go hunting, and if junior is hunting or he can't get ahold of him he borrows one from somebody else. Next time he does that I may just loan him the .45-70 but install the original crescent buttplate stock and supply very stout ammo for him to use...
    Currently casting and loading: .32 Auto, .380 Auto, .38 Special, 9X19, .357 Magnum, .257 Roberts, 6.5 Creedmoor, .30 WCF, .308 WCF, .45-70.

Boolit Master
    Ha Ha Ha that is funny..... til the guy you loan a gun to accidentally shoots someone... and they come lookin for you. Id encourage the ... want to be hunter to go buy one of his own. there are some things i do not want to be held accountable for.

Boolit Grand Master

The going rate for Remington® 770™ Bolt-Action Rifle and Scope Combos is $310.00. I agree with FergusonTO35 that Marlin X7 and Ruger American are better choices due to the replaceable barrels but in two or three thousand rounds when the barrel is shot out how many people will spend more than the gun originally cost to have it rebarreled (if they could).

I always keep a backup/loaner rifle and shotgun.

In Remembrance
    The barrel doesn't bother me, but they could have left that dump truck load of gravel out of the bolt.

The X7, American, and even Mossberg ATR/MVP/whatever they call it all have similar design and capability to their more expensive counterparts. They just do so with alot fewer options, caliber choices, and more automated production friendly materials and assembly. The 770 takes those attributes to the point that it becomes a non-serviceable, use it up and throw it away product.

Alot of hunters are not riflemen and don't mind this at all, as long as it puts that big mount on the wall. I dont think its anything new either. For most of my relatives a gun was and is just a tool to do a job like a hammer or wrench. Not something you appreciate for its own sake or even worry about using to its full potential, as long as it puts meat on the table and stands ready to counter the boogieman. They are the kind of folks who bought H&R, Iver Johnson, and various store marques; and today buy rifles like the 770. The 770 is certainly not something I would buy but its does work for alot of folks.

In Remembrance
    The college kid that bought it new, knew what he was buying, but it was what he could afford. He did put a nice leaupold on it and got a moose, caribou and black bear with it. His dad sent him his old rifle, so he sent this one down the road, but it did do the job for him, much better than throwing rocks. lol

Sight it in and enjoy it. Send it in when it's broke and throw it away when it's worn out. Did I miss anything? Yes I own one I received as a gift and it goes in the woods every year and is very accurate with the right loads. All listed below with under 300 rounds down the tube and over 30 critters in the freezer.

1) Factory loads wouldn't stay on paper (5 brand/types) solved with loading for the rifle which then shoots .62 MOA (go figure).
    2) I had to have the stock replaced under warranty. One of the sling studs broke off. R sent me one and installed myself.
    3) Bolt would not always extract first try so I carried a pistol to get multiple kills when they occurred (frequently).
    4) Bolt Handle fell off R covered under warranty with expired warranty (100% their expense) and now working up new loads because the loads I had worked up won't chamber now.

Other than that it has been a great rifle and I ain't skeered to scratch it up in the woods. LOL And as others said it is disposable and rightfully so since it would cost more to re-barrel than what it costs if it could be. Is it a great rifle? Not hardly but if it's what you have use it.

In Remembrance
    The thing almost transformed into an 8 hp johnson, but no dice. I'm thinking it will do some kind of transformation before too long. lol

Boolit Grand Master

So what scope was on top of a budget gun that you wanted? Just curious.

In Remembrance
    Vari x 2

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by starmac View Post
    The college kid that bought it new, knew what he was buying, but it was what he could afford. He did put a nice leaupold on it and got a moose, caribou and black bear with it. His dad sent him his old rifle, so he sent this one down the road, but it did do the job for him, much better than throwing rocks. lol
    Pretty smart for a college kid.
    He had his priorities straight.
    I wouldn't want to hunt with a 770 if I could help it - but I'd rather have a 770 with a good scope than a nicer rifle with some *** $39.00 bargain bin scope.
    <
    Uncle R.