Titan ReloadingRotoMetals2Load DataSnyders Jerky
MidSouth Shooters SupplyRepackboxWidenersReloading Everything
Lee Precision Inline Fabrication

Thread: Skewers?

Boolit Grand Master

Skewers?

I've got my grill going, have yet to put in the firebrick but it runs fine with just sand on the concrete pad. Now I want to make some skewers - and I have a wood lathe to turn handles.

Lots of them on Amazon, but I'd have to cut off the ring to put on a handle. Anyone know where I can get the stock to make my own? I'd be looking for stainless stock, but I'm not sure of the ideal size either. Here is the grill, with the firebrick waiting to be added.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSC00516.jpg 
Views:	22 
Size:	78.8 KB 
ID:	111903
    Wayne the Shrink

There is no 'right' that requires me to work for you or you to work for me!

Boolit Master
    Dunno about stock, but if you want to have a very good blacksmith make them for you to attach the handles to, talk to Allen at Furnace Creek Forge http://furnacecreekforge.com/home He makes fine fine stuff from hot metal. Tell him GoodOlBoy sent you.

GoodOlBoy
    Yes I can be long winded. Yes I follow rabbit trails. Yes I admit when I am wrong. Your mileage may vary.

Keep your powder dry. Watch yer Top knot.

"Praise the Lord and pass the ammunition!"

Yes there were "Short" 45 Colts! http://www.leverguns.com/articles/taylor/45_short_colt.htm

Boolit Master

Visit your local welding supply house. They can supply you with stainless steel rods of various diameters.

dale in Louisiana

Boolit Master
    What he said above, ask for tig rod
    Paul G.
    Once I was young, now I am old and in between went by way to fast.

The end move in politics is always to pick up a gun.
    -- R. Buckminster Fuller

Boolit Grand Master

Finding tig rod over a 1/8" may be a problem. I use 1/4" for mine

Most steel supply houses have a minimum order. Online Steel does not http://www.onlinemetals.com/merchant...ep=2&top_cat=1
    Last edited by M-Tecs; 07-28-2014 at 11:47 AM.

Boolit Buddy
    If you have a restaurant supply store locally, check with them.

IMO, avoid round skewers. Get flat/oval/triangular. YMMV, but I hate when I'm trying to flip a kebab and the food just spins around on the skewer.

The 1/8"x1/2" SS flat bar from onlinemetals.com would make some really heavy duty skewers. Unfortunately, I don't see where they or metalsdepot.com sell any smaller SS flat bar.

Boolit Buddy

Check this link out. http://www.amtektool.com/gfs.html I would go .0625 (1/16) at least 1/2" and maybe as much as 1". Depending how creative you want to get you could shape a tang and rivet maple blocks on one end then sand and shape just like a wooden handle on a knife. Just a thought. Jim

Quote Originally Posted by kencha View Post
    If you have a restaurant supply store locally, check with them.

IMO, avoid round skewers. Get flat/oval/triangular. YMMV, but I hate when I'm trying to flip a kebab and the food just spins around on the skewer.

The 1/8"x1/2" SS flat bar from onlinemetals.com would make some really heavy duty skewers. Unfortunately, I don't see where they or metalsdepot.com sell any smaller SS flat bar.
    Yep - avoid round unless it's wood - I've not had trouble with wooden skews being round if they are rough textured, don't forget to soak 'em before firing 'em. otherwise use flat stock and I'd get a couple of width's. It's nice to have a bigger one for meat kabob's - but you can alway put in multiple smaller ones.

je suis charlie

It is better to live one day as a LION than a dozen days as a Sheep.

Thomas Jefferson Quotations:
    "The strongest reason for the people to retain the right to keep and bear arms is, as a last resort, to protect themselves against tyranny in government."

Boolit Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by jroc View Post
    Check this link out. http://www.amtektool.com/gfs.html I would go .0625 (1/16) at least 1/2" and maybe as much as 1". Depending how creative you want to get you could shape a tang and rivet maple blocks on one end then sand and shape just like a wooden handle on a knife. Just a thought. Jim
    OK, Jim. PreMar 410, RutonSpecial 420, or PreMar 440C? Choices, choices. But I think I'll want to go no wider than probably 3/8", maybe 1/8", 1/4", and 3/8"x.0625
    Last edited by Wayne Smith; 07-28-2014 at 06:20 PM.
    Wayne the Shrink

There is no 'right' that requires me to work for you or you to work for me!

Moderator Emeritus

Another online source for stainless http://www.discountsteel.com/items/3...=211&size_no=1