Lee PrecisionWidenersTitan ReloadingReloading Everything
Inline FabricationRotoMetals2MidSouth Shooters SupplySnyders Jerky
Load Data Repackbox
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: NIB Lyman Big Dipper won't melt pure lead. Ideas?

NIB Lyman Big Dipper won't melt pure lead. Ideas?

I bought a Lyman Big Dipper as a dedicated pot for pure lead ball casting. But even after hours, it barely melts the smallest hunk of pure lead, and forget my 5 lb. ingots. Any ideas why it won't get hot enough? It is a pretty simple machine. Anybody else experience this?

Thanks in advance.
    Life is good.

Boolit Grand Master
    Bad adjustment on the thermostat/ rheostat?

I have zero experience with the Lyman Big Dipper pot; but if it is NIB as you say, I would take it back.

Robert

Quote Originally Posted by Mk42gunner View Post
    Bad adjustment on the thermostat/ rheostat?

I have zero experience with the Lyman Big Dipper pot; but if it is NIB as you say, I would take it back.

Robert
    I agree. Send it back. I bought a Lee 20# Magnum Melter just for melting old fishing and wheel weights. If it breaks, the loss is small. It's been very reliable. I melted pure lead a few times with it. It took a while but it worked.

Boolit Grand Master

Do a search. Not many folks are happy with their "Big Dipper." It's not a very good product.
    ”We know they are lying, they know they are lying, they know we know they are lying, we know they know we know they are lying, yet they are still lying.” –Aleksandr Isayevich Solzhenitsyn

My Straight Shooters thread:
    http://castboolits.gunloads.com/show...raight-shooter

The Pewter Pictures and Hallmarks thread:
    http://castboolits.gunloads.com/show...-and-hallmarks

But it's a lyman, that make's it 100 time's better then LEE,doesn't it?

Well, I did exactly what you should not do. **WARNING -- DO THIS AND ANY BAD OUTCOMES ARE YOUR OWN FAULT, NOT MINE**

I opened up the top plate (except the one stripped screw they installed at the factory ). The contacts that turn the thermostat on and off were too far apart and disconnecting (breaking the electrical connection) too often as a result. I played with it but never got the pot to get to enough temperature to melt lead consistently. So, I just pushed the contacts together with needle nose pliers. I used the electrical plug as a means to regulate temperature. It was not perfect, but I was able to melt the ingots and ladle enough pretty round balls in several sizes.

**DO THIS AT YOUR OWN RISK** But I figured in the day they would put pots over fire, so plugging and unplugging is kinda sorta like pulling it off or over a flame. I will replace the pot with a LEE pot for dipping. I already have a Lee PRO pot for mixed lead. I now have enough round balls in proper sizes (that sounds dirty) to have fun with my BP firesticks for a while.

Now I have to figure out why my Lyman dipper was a magnet for lead, even after getting it up to temperature -- thing was a glob of lead after a while and the pour spout clogged after just a few uses.

I have to say I love my LEE bottom pour pot, but this dipping thing is for the birds (So far).
    Life is good.

Quote Originally Posted by imashooter2 View Post
    Do a search. Not many folks are happy with their "Big Dipper." It's not a very good product.
    But, but, it's a Lyman! It must be good.

To be fair I own many Lyman products and quality is generally as good or sometimes better than other brands. But this pot is going to the dump. It is cheap enough to not be worth the hassle of shipping it back to the online store. And I would never trust it.
    Life is good.

Boolit Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by ShinyPartsUp View Post
    But, but, it's a Lyman! It must be good.

To be fair I own many Lyman products and quality is generally as good or sometimes better than other brands. But this pot is going to the dump. It is cheap enough to not be worth the hassle of shipping it back to the online store. And I would never trust it.
    I reworked the thermostat by bending the bimetal in order to increase "on" time and make mine work acceptably. I have used it this way for over a year. I have no idea why Lyman would set it to cycle off so much from the factory.
    ”We know they are lying, they know they are lying, they know we know they are lying, we know they know we know they are lying, yet they are still lying.” –Aleksandr Isayevich Solzhenitsyn

Quote Originally Posted by imashooter2 View Post
    I reworked the thermostat by bending the bimetal in order to increase "on" time and make mine work acceptably. I have used it this way for over a year. I have no idea why Lyman would set it to cycle off so much from the factory.
    Basically I had to do the same thing. Poor quality control is my guess.
    Life is good.

Boolit Mold

big dipper

If it was mine I would build a pid and use it to control the heat on the pot. Or you can send it to me and I will. Quick

Quote Originally Posted by ShinyPartsUp View Post
    Well, I did exactly what you should not do. **WARNING -- DO THIS AND ANY BAD OUTCOMES ARE YOUR OWN FAULT, NOT MINE**

I opened up the top plate (except the one stripped screw they installed at the factory ). The contacts that turn the thermostat on and off were too far apart and disconnecting (breaking the electrical connection) too often as a result. I played with it but never got the pot to get to enough temperature to melt lead consistently. So, I just pushed the contacts together with needle nose pliers. I used the electrical plug as a means to regulate temperature. It was not perfect, but I was able to melt the ingots and ladle enough pretty round balls in several sizes.

**DO THIS AT YOUR OWN RISK** But I figured in the day they would put pots over fire, so plugging and unplugging is kinda sorta like pulling it off or over a flame. I will replace the pot with a LEE pot for dipping. I already have a Lee PRO pot for mixed lead. I now have enough round balls in proper sizes (that sounds dirty) to have fun with my BP firesticks for a while.

Now I have to figure out why my Lyman dipper was a magnet for lead, even after getting it up to temperature -- thing was a glob of lead after a while and the pour spout clogged after just a few uses.

I have to say I love my LEE bottom pour pot, but this dipping thing is for the birds (So far).

Boolit Grand Master

Building a PID for a $50 dipper pot is a solution I guess. Not the one I'd choose, but a solution none the less.

Boolit Master
    I would not trash the pot if it works when the contacts are closed. Why not just short wire the thermostat and add a PID ? You will end up with a superior piece of equipment.
    Sent from my PC with a keyboard and camera on it with internet too.
    Melting Stuff is FUN!
    Shooting stuff is even funner

L W Knight

Boolit Master
    Could you use a dimmer switch or a router speed control to regulate the amount of heat it puts out?
    Some times it's the pot,
    Some times it's the pan,
    It might even be the skillet,
    But, most of the time, it's the cook.

Boolit Bub
    First Post here, so Howdy from Central Texas!!!

Now, Use the KISS system for making that Lyman pot work!
    Use two screw drivers and lift the heat control knob off it's mounting pin. You will see a tiny screw inside the shaft. Use a jewelers screwdriver to rotate it counter clock wise. (It won't take much). You may have to re- set it if it heats too far. Mine did at first as I went too far, and it would heat to 650 when on the OFF position. LOL!!!

Problem Fixed! Simply push the control knob back on. Now how difficult was that? gotta Love it!

Mike
    Last edited by LongRangeAir; 01-05-2015 at 06:22 AM.

Boolit Grand Master

Now that's a great tip! Welcome to the board Mike and thanks!

Wish I knew that before I trashed the pot. But my Lee dipper pot NIB from a member here at 50% off eased the pain. I'm glad if someone in the future finds this thread useful. Thanks all.
    Life is good.

Boolit Master
    I got tired of waiting for my ingots to melt on a cold start. An 1/8 of a turn to the adjustment screw made all the difference. Another 1/8 should make it match up to my Lee pot.

Boolit Buddy

Many of the bimetal contact point type thermostats have a course or range adjustment screw as LongRangeAir pointed out on this one... look carefully!

Best thing, imo, is to bypass the thermostat and use a PID. Yes, it might cost more than the pot for a PID, but once you have one (PID) you can use it for any other pot you may buy later.

Boolit Grand Master

I can also vouch for the Lee Magnum Melter pot, got one a few weeks ago and if you're a dipper it's the cat's meow ! Set the knob at 7.50 and in no time we casting, when boolits start getting a bit frosty dial it back to 7.25 and it stays right there, just under frosty boolit temperature.
    No problems with it or my old original 4 pound precision melter( it's still working) from the early 1970's.
    Whoever said size doesn't matter has a small one! that 15 pound capacity pot rocks!
    Gary

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast