RotoMetals2MidSouth Shooters SupplyRepackboxWideners
Load DataTitan ReloadingReloading EverythingLee Precision
Inline Fabrication Snyders Jerky
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: 327 Federal

Boolit Master

What contender1 said +1.... I will have one of the single seven pistols ordered as this weekend.

I have the buckeye in 32-20 & 32 mag, the eight shot 327 blackhawk, two 32-20 uberti 1873 clones, a custom contender rifle in 32-20, a taurus 327 six shot snubnose, two marlin 1894 32-20s and a winchester 32-20. My go to for power and accuracy is the 327 mag with 113 grain cast boolits with gas checks and a very healthy dose of Accurate #9. But for sheer enjoyment and excellent accuracy the same boolit with 4 grains of red dot makes all of my 32-20s the most fired weapons I own. And the same boolit with a 3 grain load of red dot in the 32 H&R gives me excellent accuracy and a fun time at the shooting range. Would not trade any of them for the world.....even if my wife would let me....
    Dysfunctional Disturbed Disabled Debonair Navy Veteran
    Swift Boats, Vietnam, 1967-1968.

"You are never too old to learn something stupid."

Boolit Bub
    I have loaded for the 327 and 32 H&R mag for about 8 years now this is my go to caliber for a trail gun in sp101. I also own the Gp100 great load development gun LoL. I do prefer to shoot the Sp101 though. Ruger marketed the round as self defense cartridge and then the first gunit is introduced in is a huge 8 shot Blackhawk this was the start of the fall of the cartridge. To make a long story short if you have not owned and loaded for the Fed 327 you have no idea what you are missing and now with the prices of the Sp101 bouncing off a 1,000$ I doubt many of you will ever purchase one. Good day

Quote Originally Posted by rststeve View Post
    I have loaded for the 327 and 32 H&R mag for about 8 years now this is my go to caliber for a trail gun in sp101. I also own the Gp100 great load development gun LoL. I do prefer to shoot the Sp101 though. Ruger marketed the round as self defense cartridge and then the first gunit is introduced in is a huge 8 shot Blackhawk this was the start of the fall of the cartridge. To make a long story short if you have not owned and loaded for the Fed 327 you have no idea what you are missing and now with the prices of the Sp101 bouncing off a 1,000$ I doubt many of you will ever purchase one. Good day
    Actually the SP101 was the first gun released by Ruger in the 327 Federal but the cylinder problems soon stopped production of the SP101 and opened the door for the Blackhawk. Ruger never marketed the cartridge as anything other than a 32 that neared 357 magunm ballistics. It was the other companies who attempted to follow Ruger's success history and market their own version of the compact revolver in that cartridge, advertising it as the perfect answer to a self defense weapon. Collectively, the lack of sales killed it but not because it appeared in a Blackhawk.
    Last edited by FLHTC; 07-28-2014 at 04:28 PM.

Boolit Buddy
    I too am "the list" to get a Single Seven. I'm also of the opinion that it is a great "trail gun" ideal for "woods loafing."

As Skeeter defined it:
    My idea of a trail gun is a handgun that, with 50 rounds of ammunition, will make a package small and light enough that you are unaware of its presence until you need it. It adds practically nothing to the contents of a backpack or to the saddlebags of horseman or cyclist. Worn in a neat holster on the trouser belt, it lies flat and doesn’t sag your pants. It also looks at home in a fishing box.
    My 5.5" blued 32 Single Six weighs 31.4 ounces on my scale and a box of 50 weighs in at less than 22 ounces. Since acquiring it I've found it to be a delight to shoot, carry and hunt with. It does everything my 22 Single Six does only better, plus with a full load of Lil'Gun it gets within 100 fps of what my SP101 gets with factory 327 ammo.

About the only downsides I see to the new Single Seven is that it weighs more, and possibly they won't make enough of em... I'd feel adequately armed under most circumstances I can imagine myself in with the new Single Seven. Plus the economy of the cartridge is sure to make it a frequent visitor to the range.

I've got my fingers crossed that a 5.5" comes my way.

Boolit Master

I have a Ruger GP 100 and I absolutely love it.

If I could have it in an SP 101 with a 6 inch barrel, I would swap two other handguns for it.
    First reload: .22 Hornet. 1956.
    More at: http://reloadingtips.com/

"Any man who thinks he can be happy and prosperous by letting the
    government take care of him better take a closer look at the American Indian."
    - Henry Ford

Boolit Master

Of all the cartridges I load regularly, and there are many, the .327 Fed Mag is my favorite. I have a single sevin on order

I have molds for 90-140 grain boolits. If you need it done, the .327 can do it. My GP and SP both shoot like a laser. I've never seen anything shoot like them.

Have I mentioned I love the .327?
    Last edited by jrayborn; 06-16-2019 at 06:37 PM.

Boolit Grand Master
    9.3X62AL & stu1ritter,

If I had been wise enough to hold on to the Buckeye Spl 32 combo Blackhawk and the 6" Model 16-4 I bought when they came out then foolishly sold all too soon after, I might not have been so eager to get my two 327s, but since I did, it would have been foolish to settle (especially on the custom-built S&W) for anything less than fullest performance potential. Do I always shoot them with ground stomping, fire breathing loads? Of course not... but I CAN!!

I have often repeated my story about chatting with the famous Skeeter on what was probably his last public appearance. He was quite emphatic about the impressive performance available from the 32 H&R via reloading... but he was apparently at or near 327 FM pressure ranges when he was doing it! I can just about guarantee that if he were alive and writing today we'd be reading him singing the praises of the 327 FM. JMHO, of course, but if I were a betting man...

It's not the one thing that 327 does well that impresses me, it's the whole range of things that the 327 can potentially do well that impresses me. YMMV.

Froggie
    "It aint easy being green!"

Boolit Grand Master
    Froggie--

I can honestly say that my S&W Model 16-4 x 6" is one of the few firearms I own that I would never consider selling. I haven't gone totally nutzo pouring powder into 32 Mag cases, but have run Lyman #313631 to 1400 FPS. That is as much as I care to push that particular envelope, but doing so showed me that #313631's mediocre accuracy at 1000 FPS steadily improved as the velocity increased, and became tack-driving-good at 1250 FPS and stayed on board to 1400 FPS. Hornady GCs and 92/6/2 alloy, Alox/BW lube. Rated-R amount of WC-820.

I won't say I'll NEVER own a 327 Federal revolver, but the platform will need to be "All The Goodies"--barrel length, strength, and likely double-action in descending order of priority. A Colt Diamondback x 6" with V-spring lockwork in 327 would draw me like moth to flame.......dream on.
    I don't paint bullets. I like Black Rifle Coffee. Sacred cows are always fair game. California is to the United States what Syria is to Russia and North Korea is to China/South Korea/Japan--a Hermit Kingdom detached from the real world and led by delusional maniacs, an economic and social basket case sustained by "foreign" aid so as to not lose military bases.

over the hill, out in the woods and far away
    I find this thread interesting, but I really have no desire to carry a revolver afield that weighs more than about 1kg with 12cm barrel +/-. original .32 H&R Mag Single Six does what I want, handy revolver, with companion single-shot rifle about 4-1/2 lbs. or 2kg, capable of heads shots on small game at 50 yards with my best ammo. No wheels or pony needed to move about.

Quote Originally Posted by Outpost75 View Post
    I find this thread interesting, but I really have no desire to carry a revolver afield that weighs more than about 1kg with 12cm barrel +/-. original .32 H&R Mag Single Six does what I want, handy revolver, with companion single-shot rifle about 4-1/2 lbs. or 2kg, capable of heads shots on small game at 50 yards with my best ammo. No wheels or pony needed to move about.
    Well i've never worn a handgun while hunting, all the while wishing it was one centimeter shorter. That equates to a half inch. If that half inch is too troublesome to carry, how do you manage to keep your composure while carrying a rifle, and do it without wheels and ponies?
    You summed it up, the 32 mag does what YOU want but there are others that simply want MORE, which is the benefit of owning the 327.
    I wonder how T/C sold all those Super 14 barrels without recommending wheels and ponies?

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by stu1ritter View Post
    9.3X62AL, I'm also on the lookout for a 32-20 and have thought of a 32-20 cylinder for my 16-4 (if that is feasible). Oh well, this day dreaming just continues.
    Stu
    Good choice. This is mine. It was a S&W NewModel 16 in .32 Magnum. It was rechambered to 32-20.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails S-W-16.JPG  

Quote Originally Posted by Harry O View Post
    Good choice. This is mine. It was a S&W NewModel 16 in .32 Magnum. It was rechambered to 32-20.
    I like that!!!!

Boolit Master
    As to brass, grafs has starline .327 in stock now.
    Need advice fixing a coleman appliance? Maybe I can help!

Boolit Master
    I been looking for a fairly flat shooting, very accurate, mild recoiling revolver to use on small game and plan on giving the 327 a try. Hopefully I will be able to buy one of the Lipseys 7.5 inch models when they hit the street in a month or two.
    East Tennessee

Boolit Master

Wow! Harry O that is a beautiful barbeque gun!
    Dysfunctional Disturbed Disabled Debonair Navy Veteran
    Swift Boats, Vietnam, 1967-1968.

"You are never too old to learn something stupid."

Boolit Master
    I have never owned a .327, not because I didn't want one....it just didn't happen that I had money when "they" had guns. Now I have several .32HnR "Mag" and a S&W .32-20 and so on. I would like to jump on the Ruger. Is the 5.5" barrel going to have too much muzzle blast relative to the 7.5"? I shot a Blackhawk in .30 carbine and did not like the blast. It may all be a moot question as I am deef now but I would appreciate the opinions of this group.thanks!

Boolit Master
    FLHTC and lbaize3:

The very first handgun I ever shot was a 32-20. It was my fathers Colt Police Positive Special, which I now own. I have always had a soft spot for 32-20's and spent many years looking for one with target quality and adjustable sights. I never found one. Then I ran across a gun like the one pictured above.

I already had a S&W Model 632 SuperKitGun (J-frame) in .32 Magnum, which is much better sized for the .32 Magnum caliber. (Some time later, I also got a Ruger SuperSingle Six in .32 Magnum which is correctly sized, too). The K-frame was too big for the .32 Magnum, in my opinion. I thought about getting it and having it rechambered to 32-20. After doing a little research at home, I found that it should work. I went back the next morning to buy it and the gun was already gone. The next time I ran across one, I grabbed it and didn't let go until I purchased it. That is the one pictured above.

It was rechambered to 32-20 by a nationally known gunsmith (although he is known for semiautos rather than revolvers). The chambers were a bit tight, one in particular. The reamer he used had been sharpened, perhaps poorly. I marked that chamber and just loaded 5-rounds for several years after that. I later ran into a different gunsmith that had a brand new, never been used 32-20 reamer and had him run it through all 6 chambers. It works perfect now. Cartridges drop into the chambers and drop out again after firing. The reamers did not fully clean up the old chambering, so it looks like it is a double bottleneck when it comes out. That has no affect on the accuracy, though.

My standard load for this one is 6.0gr of IMR4756 with a 100gr Hornady XTP or a Lyman 311316-GC. It is VERY accurate with both. I know that load is no where near .327 velocity, but it is comfortably more than factory .32 Magnum loads and is a nice delightful load to shoot. After it proved out, I put some custom grips on it and had S&W laser engrave it. It will never be sold.

I guess I never understood the .327 Magnum. I shot the 32-20, then went to the .32 Long (both loaded to hotter than factory) and successfully shot small game with both for many years. When the .32 Magnum came around, I quickly tried it out. It was a little hotter than some of my handloads and worked well when shooting small game for the pot. Once I got the Ruger SuperSingleSix, I loaded the .32 Magnum up to 8.5gr of 2400 with an 85gr Hornady XTP. It was totally useless for small game hunting. Very accurate, but there was nothing left once I shot a rabbit or squirrel. The .327 is loaded even hotter than that. It would be even less use for small game and I consider it too small for deer. There is nothing around here between rabbit and deer sized game and there hasn't been since before I was born. I elected to let the .327 pass. The 32-20, .32 Long, and .32 Magnum take care of my .32 addiction.

Boolit Master

the 327fed is a great little cartridge. it is imo the perfect cartridge for a snub nosed revolver. i dont think of it so much as a hunting cartridge, and i dont believe thats what it was intended for. although it would be fine on coyotes and coon, and close range deer. i like mine, and enjoy shooting it. havent yet, and wont for a long time handloaded for it as ive a ton of factory ammo for it, but dont see components being an issue.

Boolit Grand Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Harry O View Post
    FLHTC and lbaize3:

The very first handgun I ever shot was a 32-20. It was my fathers Colt Police Positive Special, which I now own. I have always had a soft spot for 32-20's and spent many years looking for one with target quality and adjustable sights. I never found one. Then I ran across a gun like the one pictured above.

I already had a S&W Model 632 SuperKitGun (J-frame) in .32 Magnum, which is much better sized for the .32 Magnum caliber. (Some time later, I also got a Ruger SuperSingle Six in .32 Magnum which is correctly sized, too). The K-frame was too big for the .32 Magnum, in my opinion. I thought about getting it and having it rechambered to 32-20. After doing a little research at home, I found that it should work. I went back the next morning to buy it and the gun was already gone. The next time I ran across one, I grabbed it and didn't let go until I purchased it. That is the one pictured above.

It was rechambered to 32-20 by a nationally known gunsmith (although he is known for semiautos rather than revolvers). The chambers were a bit tight, one in particular. The reamer he used had been sharpened, perhaps poorly. I marked that chamber and just loaded 5-rounds for several years after that. I later ran into a different gunsmith that had a brand new, never been used 32-20 reamer and had him run it through all 6 chambers. It works perfect now. Cartridges drop into the chambers and drop out again after firing. The reamers did not fully clean up the old chambering, so it looks like it is a double bottleneck when it comes out. That has no affect on the accuracy, though.

My standard load for this one is 6.0gr of IMR4756 with a 100gr Hornady XTP or a Lyman 311316-GC. It is VERY accurate with both. I know that load is no where near .327 velocity, but it is comfortably more than factory .32 Magnum loads and is a nice delightful load to shoot. After it proved out, I put some custom grips on it and had S&W laser engrave it. It will never be sold.

I guess I never understood the .327 Magnum. I shot the 32-20, then went to the .32 Long (both loaded to hotter than factory) and successfully shot small game with both for many years. When the .32 Magnum came around, I quickly tried it out. It was a little hotter than some of my handloads and worked well when shooting small game for the pot. Once I got the Ruger SuperSingleSix, I loaded the .32 Magnum up to 8.5gr of 2400 with an 85gr Hornady XTP. It was totally useless for small game hunting. Very accurate, but there was nothing left once I shot a rabbit or squirrel. The .327 is loaded even hotter than that. It would be even less use for small game and I consider it too small for deer. There is nothing around here between rabbit and deer sized game and there hasn't been since before I was born. I elected to let the .327 pass. The 32-20, .32 Long, and .32 Magnum take care of my .32 addiction.
    I respectfully disagree... if you want a sound platform, both to contain a potential 40,000 PSI round and give you something to hold onto, it is the perfect frame size. Think in terms of your hottest 32-20 loadings... they go very well in a mid-size frame, don't they?

Understanding comes with familiarization. The 327, with its greater case capacity and strength, has the ability to do it all. You can load the case as hot as practical for hunting or defense or load mild FM rounds (or use 32 acp, 32 S&W & S&W L, or 32 H&R cases to tailor your loads in the same gun) and do just about anything with it that can be done with any but the truly big bore revolvers.

I guess I'm beginning to sound like an old time evangelist, but that's my experience, and that's how I feel. YMMV.

Froggie

"It aint easy being green!"

Boolit Master
    Just so everyone is aware, I did not intend to put down anyone who loves the .327 Magnum. To each his own. It just doesn't work for me and I explained why.

I have fired some original High-Velocity, High-Pressure 32-20 loads from a Colt SAA (many, many years ago) and some .30 Carbine from a Ruger SA (almost as many years ago). I did not care for them either. They must have been fairly close to the .327 Magnum in pressure and velocity. However, I have been preaching using .32's for small game hunting for a lot of years.

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast