MidSouth Shooters SupplyTitan ReloadingInline FabricationLee Precision
RepackboxRotoMetals2Load DataWideners
Reloading Everything Snyders Jerky

Thread: Lyman mold help

Lyman mold help

Salutations,

I am new here and I have been interested in black powder shooting for quite some time. I have a .58 cal Lyman mold (no. 575213) that was my grandfathers. I think it needs handles and it has a wooden thing with it that I think goes in the bottom to make a hollow base. Its got one pin sticking out the side which I suppose is to hold it in place but it seems to me like youre asking for hot lead to pour out the bottom as I do not see how it locks in. It casts the standard grooved Minie Ball, are the grooves to be filled with grease? I'm shooting it in my p58 Enfield (original if that helps?. Please help a new guy and gently yell if I'm in the wrong place.

Thanks,

TheNinthDoctor

Boolit Grand Master

Luman ,olds do use seperate handles that are srew pined in the slots on the back side of the mold blocks. There should be 2 pins on the face or one block that conform with the other blocks holes for alighnment when closed. the "pin" sticking out should be a shoulder bolt in tight that conforms with a cutout in the ring on the hollow base pin, Pin goes in and turn 1/4-1/2 turn and is locked in. The wood handled "thing is the hollow point pin. I would cast from pire lead or maybe 40-1 40 parts lead to 1 part tin tin may help in getting mold to fill out better. Start with aquireing a set of mold handles lyman rcbs lee 6 cavity all should work. Aquire lead in the above alloiy as you want to try. A small lead pot and camp stove will work to get started. A ladle. leather work gloves saftey glasses eye protection. Remeber this is molten metal at 650-750* be safe. Clean mold with tooth brush dish soap and water several times. . Melt lead in well ventalated area. Heat mold blocks on side of pot or on top. Let ladle soak in pot. Heat hollow base pin in lead or with propane torch. When using fill grooves with a lube suited to black powder to help control fouling and leading.

Boolit Master
    You can fill the grooves with lubricant, but it's easier and just as effective to put a fingerful of Crisco into the hollow base before loading the boolit.

There should be a wide headed screw and a stop pin (or holes for same) in the bottom of your mould. As country gent says, a quarter turn on the wood handle should lock the hollow base pin into the mould for pouring. Lyman may have replacement parts if they are missing, or a trip to the hardware store might get you something useful.