MidSouth Shooters SupplyWidenersReloading EverythingTitan Reloading
RotoMetals2Inline FabricationRepackboxLee Precision
Snyders Jerky Load Data

Thread: Uncle's Remington #4 Rolling Block 22 cal. Value?

Boolit Grand Master

Uncle's Remington #4 Rolling Block 22 cal. Value?

My uncle (by marriage to my aunt) passed away several years ago and my aunt in Michigan (I'm in Az) is now wanting to get rid of his guns. One of them is a Remington #4 Rolling Block in 22 rimfire. Serial number put it made in about 1933. My other uncle told me it is in excellent shape with one mar on the stock and his father's initials in the stock. Bore is very shiny. Round barrel, excellent bluing.
    I did not know he even had this gun. Never went hunting with him or talk much about guns with him. This is something I would like to buy from my aunt and am having problems determining the value. I have looked at Gunbroker with no luck for completed sales.

I have always wanted a rolling block and have an original 1867 Swedish and a Pedersoli copy in 40-65. The #4 is another I would really like, especially since it was my uncles. A RB pistol is also something I would like to buy.

Has someone here purchased one of these lately or have an idea of a value on this gun? I am going to continue to determine a value by further checking the internet and stop at a couple of local gun shops.

Boolit Grand Master
    I watched one in decent shape in .32 RF sell at a farm auction about a year ago for somewhere around $350, I think. I have no idea if that is normal or not, I don't see very many No. 4's sell at auction around here.

Robert

Boolit Bub
    Most of the ones I've seen around here lately were more brown than blue, still I've seen a few of them sell in the $200 to $300 range when they had nice, shootable bores. Have seen some higher asking prices, some in decent outside shape but haven't seen them actually sell. I inherited a basket case one in pieces some years ago, spent @ $125 to have it relined and it is a really nice, fun little rifle. If you really want it for a shooter make sure the bore is still good, I've seen more than a few old 22's that were nice outside but had worn or pitted bores from the old ammo (corrosive primers seem to have been particularly rough on small bores).

IMO $300 would be fair both to you & your aunt.

Boolit Grand Master

I am going to ask my aunt to take it to a local gun shop that I am familiar with back there. She does not know how to take pictures and post them to e-mail so this might be less stressful for her. There are 3 others guns so if she takes them the the GS better values can be placed on them.
    Thanks for your input.

Boolit Master

My father bought one for $8 but that was in 1958 and I was only 10 at the time. You can get a good idea of what guns are selling for by going to any of the auction places that sell guns like http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/BrowseItems.aspx

Do not have her take the gun to a shop unless you personally know the shop owner. Bad things often happen when people do this. Many shops are not honest, will low ball her and try to buy it out from under you. Work it out between you.

Boolit Grand Master

The gun came in Friday and I am happy. bore is very good with just a couple of small pits but otherwise very shiny. Even has quite a bit of the original casehardening on the receiver. Click image for larger version. 

Name:	lights, RB#4 020.jpg 
Views:	33 
Size:	82.5 KB 
ID:	113199Click image for larger version. 

Name:	lights, RB#4 015.jpg 
Views:	55 
Size:	87.9 KB 
ID:	113200Click image for larger version. 

Name:	lights, RB#4 021.jpg 
Views:	54 
Size:	75.1 KB 
ID:	113198Click image for larger version. 

Name:	lights, RB#4 019.jpg 
Views:	34 
Size:	87.6 KB 
ID:	113201Click image for larger version. 

Name:	lights, RB#4 014.jpg 
Views:	30 
Size:	64.9 KB 
ID:	113202Click image for larger version. 

Name:	lights, RB#4 022.jpg 
Views:	24 
Size:	86.9 KB 
ID:	113203Click image for larger version. 

Name:	lights, RB#4 023.jpg 
Views:	26 
Size:	86.2 KB 
ID:	113204

Hope to take it to the range very soon. I do have enough 22 rimfire ammo to last for awhile.

Boolit Grand Master

Might try some of my stash of older 22 rimfire ammo in this RB just 'cuz. Probably won't shoot the high velocity stuff in this gun. Anyone know when they starting making HV 22LR?

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	old22 001.jpg 
Views:	16 
Size:	74.0 KB 
ID:	113206

Boolit Grand Master
    Leadman, nice looking little rifle, especially with the family connection.

I think they started making High Velocity 22 of all lengths in the mid to late 1920's, which does not necessarily mean a gun made in the thirties was safe for it. I will let those more knowledgeable than I am answer that question.

Robert

Boolit Buddy
    I have a .22 rolling block with an octagonal barrel and a take down lever on the left side. I believe the barrel has been relined and reblued . It doesn't have a model # or serial #. I've shot hv rounds thru it and won't do it again it definitely stresses the action, subsonic and regular pressure rounds are OK, I usually shoot various shorts thru it. Dove tail rear sight no elevation adjustment. information only for HV use.

Could this rolling block be an earlier version of the #4?

Boolit Grand Master

salvadore, the first #4s were solid along with the military model. Then they went to a takedown model with the lever on the side, next was the large headed screw like mine.
    The Remington society has a database on this rifle and dates by serial number. The early guns only had the serial number on the bottom of the barrel in front of the handguard. mine has it on the receiver and barrel.