Snyders JerkyLoad DataMidSouth Shooters SupplyWideners
Inline Fabrication Titan Reloading
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: How Much Ammo Do You Stockpile?

Boolit Master
    More than 1 and less than 1,000,000.
    Enough said!

Lafaun
    Just staying at home and playing with multi-color boolits.

Boolit Buddy
    I break it down to this.....reloads are for shootin' and factory is for hordin'. I have more of both than I will ever need no matter what happens. I started young!

Banned
    I wouldn't dream of stockpiling any ammunition.

Boolit Buddy
    More than my wife knows about. Seriously, at my age, I dont think I can ever shoot up the factoru, reloaded and components I have stored.

Define STOCKPILE..............

Boolit Grand Master

Defining stockpile, is sort of like defining "BEST"! So much for definitions!
    1Shirt!
    "Common Sense Is An Uncommon Virtue" Ben Franklin

"Ve got too soon old and too late smart" Pa.Dutch Saying

Not enough... until I get to 1,000,000 per rifle or handgun, its just not enough

Doc

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by alfloyd View Post
    More than 1 and less than 1,000,000.
    Enough said!

Lafaun
    Best answer I have seen to this question...

As much as I can store

Hi All,
    Good thread and good question, it made me stop and think about my stockpiles. I collect old guns and that's what made me start reloading, just couldn't find ammo for some of my guns or it was too expensive. And then the ammo shortage made me get more involved in making my own ammo. The more I read about problems with accuracy that made me start making my own cast bullets. I also started getting into Cowboy action shooting. Today this tread made me stopped and look at what I have and was amazed at the fact that I have gun's that shoot 37 different types of ammo and I can reload for 21 of them and make bullets for 14. I've been stocking up for years on surplus ammo, hard to get now. I started stockpiling lead and now have about 240lbs.
    I like to have at least 100 rounds for all my guns and as much as 1,000 rounds for the one's I shoot the most. I try to shoot at least twice a month and would love to buy a place in the country where I could someday have my own range. Sorry this is a little long winded and choppy but I love the subject.
    Last edited by Mrupe; 07-30-2014 at 04:16 PM.
    NRA
    Life Member

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Artful View Post
    JohnH, if your worried about stuff getting damaged by weather - Look into the GI ammo can's - store in them as weather tight and if you have some loaded with lead boolits or ingots and chain/cable lock them together with the lighter ones, I seriously doubt any wind is going to move them off property.
    I guess it's not so much that I'm concerned that a stockpile is going to leave the property, through natural forces or two legged predators, I really can't figure out just what I'd stockpile for. Not just which guns, which in itself could create a problem, but these days there are likely only three I'd create a stock for. The question is what works without being obsessive about it. I actually like a figure of about 250 rounds. It's an amount I can put in an ammo can or two beside a bug out bag and leave in a hurry with, it's an amount that would feed me for a year if necessary. It's an amount that would get me out a minor engagement, I'm no fool, I physically couldn't survive a major engagement with people who have come determined to relive me of my possessions, in other words I pretty sure of my limitations. As much as anything, I was hoping to have a deeper discussion of the parameters of creating a stockpile, and how people came to the decisions they did on the choices they made. To arbitrarily say 1000, 10,000 or more than one could ever use I find pretty useless as an answer. Why a given number or amount is more what I'd like to know. 250 for the three guns I've chosen to stockpile for is an amount I can carry, an amount I can afford to invest in, and with my shooting skills and defensive abilities all I can expect to use in any situation I could reasonably expect to survive. Would more be nice? Obviously, but at what point does more become an unreasonable end in itself? Each of us has to answer this for themselves. The answers given here have helped me clarify this is a way that I can use and invest time and energy in. My many thanks to all who have input so far, I hope the input continues, I'm sure I'm not the only one here who has these questions, and I readily admit, that some ones answer later tonight could well make me upgrade my thinking.
    Last edited by JohnH; 07-28-2014 at 07:01 PM. Reason: spllin

Boolit Master
    As much of the Russian surplus stuff as I can find, since Obama is banning the stuff it will disappear so I need enough to burn out the barrel on my 5.45 AR15. Other guns just a 2-3 thousand of each as thats the size of my runs for 9mm, 40 and 45acp.

Boolit Bub
    More than I need but less than I'd like.

Banned
    I have a few hundred lbs for each caliber I shoot. You do the math.

Banned
    I never stop buying....its an addiction.

how ever much that is needed to conquer whatever I'm shooting at. anything less is an ammo shortage, anything more is stockpiling.

I find and buy used brass, tumble clean, size, trim and swage, then buy the primers and fit in them and store them.
    Then I buy the powders and boolits and keep them apart until I decide what i want to shoot.
    Currently, enough for a family of four and a dog.

No stockpiling here it's Hoarding!

I don't stockpile a Lot of ammo, too many calibers, but I do stockpile components.
    EVERY GOOD SHOOTER NEEDS TO BE A HANDLOADER.
    NRA Cert. Inst. Met. Reloading & Basic Pistol

Boolit Bub
    I like to have a minimum of 1000 read per weapon. Some are in the higher thousands count like 7.62x39mm I have roughly 4500 rounds for my AK.

Boolit Master
    i used to think 100 for each caliber but i get twitchy if i dont have 500 plus for each and brass primed and ready to load plus plenty of cast bullets & primers

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast