Reloading EverythingSnyders JerkyLoad DataTitan Reloading
Lee PrecisionMidSouth Shooters SupplyInline FabricationRepackbox
Wideners RotoMetals2
Page 3 of 14 FirstFirst 12345678910111213 ... LastLast

Thread: More Cadet Talk

AMEN, and thank you!!!! Now---off to find/buy a Boolit mould. Any used ones out there guys?? Lol.

Boolit Buddy
    I emailed RCBS hoping to clear up the confusion about the Cadet mold. One of the reviews on the Midway site indicates the mold is not heeled and is the wrong size. I'll report the answer.

L Ross
    Sorry Hooker I didn't get back sooner but it sounds like you are doing fine. I get the bullets to finger seat by shortening the 32-20 cases a little at a time until I get the slip fit I'm looking for. My brass is now 1.220" long and appear to be straight walled. However if I measure just ahead of the rim I get .356", when I measure the case mouth with a bullet seated I get .340". I have put just a smidge of tension on the loaded round to hold the bullet so the loaded round can be handled normally. I do that by removing the de-capping pin and running the loaded round into the FL sizing die until I feel just a bit of tension then set the die for that depth.
    Just fondling those rounds makes me want to go knock down some steel prairie dogs. I have some new loads with Tin Star in them to try.

Duke

Moderator Emeritus
    I had Tom at Accurate moulds cut me a mould based on a Lee GB boolit we had done a few years ago.

http://www.accuratemolds.com/bullet_...=32-120C-D.png

The beauty of Tom's mould is that you can vary the dimensions on order to suit.

I like to hand seat my cadet boolits without sizing the case, with Toms moulds you can get the heel to the correct diameter for the case mouth and the body the correct diameter for the rifle, if you have the freebore then just lengthen it for a heavier boolit for the longer ranges. I almost have a mould for each Cadet now.

For fine firearms and shooting requisites visit my Web Site by clicking the link below:

Pukka Bundhooks

Hello Ross and Dromia. I have found out that when you do get into the exclusive world of .310 Cadets, you have to or want to put everything else aside until you get it sorted out. Then, you don't want to shoot anything else for awhile. Lol.

I can't decide what to do with the one box of factory 32-20 I have. Pull the Bollit and trim then reseat or go ahead and fire form them and go from there. As I think about it, don't like that small Dia Bollit rattling down my barrel. Lol.

P.S I love these Martini's.

I've been shooting a Cadet for a couple of weeks now, it had sat unused in the safe for many years. I don't have a mold yet, but a member kindly supplied me some bullets. It is just a really, really enjoyable gun to shoot. Easy to form brass and it doesn't even look like I'll need dies. Accurate, easy, and fun. Hard to beat that!

Boolit Buddy
    I got a reply from the RCBS tech. regarding the heeled bullet mould. He assured me the mold produces a heeled bullet of .323 diameter with a heel of .312 diameter.

Moderator Emeritus
    That sounds about right for the one I have, the heel is far to big for my cases which need neck expanding to fit it with too much working of the brass. That is why I had Accurate cut me a Cadet boolit that fits my fired cases at .308"-.309".

For fine firearms and shooting requisites visit my Web Site by clicking the link below:

Pukka Bundhooks

After using the expander to get your Boolits in, was just wondering what a Factory Crimp die would do? Don't they miss the Boolit and line up with the case mouth so you can put a little squeeze on it?? I think I want Try that because I don't want to look down at my cartridge belt and see nothing but brass hanging there one day. Lol.

Boolit Master
    I use my case size die with decap pin out to get rid of the flare.
    swamp
    There is no problem so great, that it cannot be solved by the proper application of high explosives.

Swamp. That's a good idea. The brass should line up with the heel of the Boolit. Yea. I knew there was a combination in all them dies I just bought even if they are not here yet. Ha. Ha. Thanks Swamp. That will be the First thing I'll try. Lubed me some Boolits up last night. Just waiting for some time to drop some powder.
    Hooker53
    Last edited by Hooker53; 08-13-2014 at 09:20 PM. Reason: Words

Boolit Master
    Dromia,

With no grease groove, what are you doing for lube on that boolit from Tom? Tumble in LLA? PC?
    Ed

CW3 USA (Ret)
    VFW Life
    American Legion
    DAV Life
    NRA Benefactor
    TX State Rifle Assn Life
    SAF Life
    NY State Rifle and Pistol Assn Senior Member because I don't have to fight that fight in TX
    JPFO Member
    GOA Member

Boolit Master
    I tumble lube mine in 45-45-10. Works fine for me.
    swamp
    There is no problem so great, that it cannot be solved by the proper application of high explosives.

Moderator Emeritus
    Quote Originally Posted by Ed in North Texas View Post
    Dromia,

With no grease groove, what are you doing for lube on that boolit from Tom? Tumble in LLA? PC?
    Tumble lubing in Xlox or 45-45-10, both work fine with is boolit at Cadet velocities.

Pukka Bundhooks

I'm getting ~>1150 fps with my own cast from the RCBS mold, 32-20 Brass cut to 1.120", Beezwax/Olive Oil 50/50 lube and 4.3 gr. of Unique.
    Cheers,
    R
    Last edited by RonT; 08-18-2014 at 07:06 PM.
    Spes Mea in Deo Est

RonT. Sounds like you have found the right load for your Cadate. How's the grouping? I'm still looking for my Cadets favorit diet. Ha. It shoots really well but think it can get better. Just need to keep working on it but think its going to be a Unique load close to yours. Gotta love these little rifles. Thanks for checking in.

Roy

Ok. If my Cadet brothers is still reading this thread. What's the average you trimmed your 32-20 brass back to? Could I get some check-ins on the case length you wound up with? I trimmed mine back to 1.244 and slid one in and it went home great. Ok. So loaded some up and seems they are still a hair long. What's yours and let me get an average. Thanks

Roy

Boolit Master

Roy,

Trim length is 1.305"

Overall loaded length is 1.745 inches

If the unloaded brass went in just fine you have one of two concerns.

One the bullet is a bit large in diameter and the neck of the round is binding
    OR
    The bullet is fat or cartridge too long and you are butting into the leade/rifling (not necessarily a problem)

So either seat the bullet a bit deeper or use a smaller diameter bullet. Depending.

Mike
    NRA Benefactor 2004 USAF RET 1971-95

Skeet, Mine is shorter than that and was just wondering wht the rest of the folks was trimming to. I know that a lot of these ate diff from one gun to another though. Has anyone here trimmed theirs to 1.244 or shorter?
    Last edited by Hooker53; 08-30-2014 at 05:58 PM. Reason: Words

Boolit Buddy
    Mine are trimmed to 1.13 and if I eject an unfired round the bullet stays in the chamber. No crimp and the bullet just barely enters the rifling. That is for two of my Cadets.

Page 3 of 14 FirstFirst 12345678910111213 ... LastLast