Snyders JerkyMidSouth Shooters SupplyInline FabricationRepackbox
RotoMetals2Reloading EverythingWidenersLee Precision
Load Data Titan Reloading
Page 13 of 14 FirstFirst ... 34567891011121314 LastLast

Thread: More Cadet Talk

Windy West Texas, between the rocks, and the trees.
    I was trimming the cases to 1.246".
    Rights, and Privileges, are not synonymous. We have the Right to Bear Arms. As soon as the Government mandates firearm registration, and permiting, then that Right becomes a Privilege, and may be taken away at our Master's discretion.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Bad *** Wallace View Post
    I've been looking a rimless extractors and found this beauty. It allows the use of BOTH rimmed and rimless 222R cases in the same rifle!

That looks good, but it is for a formerly rimfire Cadet. The centrefire Cadets, both British and Francotte, have a protruberance of the receiver, flush with the rear of the barrel, between the limbs of the extractor. It's just the same as the military action, and might never have been that way without the coiled brass .577/.450.

With modern brass it should be OK to remove that protruberance, with burrs, chisels and scrapers. But it is an awkward job.

Hey guys. For all that might be Interested, Midway has the RCBS 310-120 moulds on sell for 66.00 bucks. They are out of them right now but if you do a buy and back order you will still get the Black Friday price. Just a heads up. Post if you get one and how they cast. Hope you all had a great Thanksgiving.

Roy
    Hooker53

Well. Just thought I would check in and see if anyone is having any good luck with a new found load on these little jewels. I bought me a new reloading toy. A Lyman Gen 6 Auto powder dispenser. I have many empty cases and thought I would load some more up this weekend. I'm a little low on Boolits, Sooo have to see if I can work out another trade lead for Boolits deal again or either bite the Boolit and buy that RCBS mould for these things. I think im gonna love that little Gen 6 dispenser. Keep shooting Gents.

Roy
    Hooker53

If only you lived closer, I just cast nearly 600 boolits
    Hold Still Varmint; while I plugs Yer!

Hey BA. That's a lot of lead. Ha. IV always wanted to visit your country. Maybe someday. When you cast for our little 310 Greener Mags, how hard to do set your Boolits?? 10--15 BHN??

Roy
    Hooker53

These are very hard running 16-17BNH . I made them as an experiment! Now that I'm retired I make batches for giggles just for something to do!

Bit hot here presently for casting, reaching 101-103deg F for the last 6 days and another 6 days next week.

I'll trade my weather for yours. IV arrived at this point in my life that I like the warmer Temps. Ha. Thanks for that info. The ones I just loaded up are around 15 BHN. Was trying out that new Lyman Gen 6 Auto powder dispenser. Love it!!! Thanks again BA.

Roy
    Hooker53

Boolit Master

One damn project after another has kept me from playing with Binky-Roo very much over the last year and a bit, but I'm starting to get the small-cartridge-single-shot itch again. Provided I don't get rained out, I think I'll head out Friday to shoot several groups with the last ammo loaded to establish a baseline for whatever the alloy age-settled to.

After that baseline-shoot, I'm going to consult with Dad (the bigger nerd of classic single shots) and finally get around to the forend bedding job. Not sure if that'll end up being Acraglas Gel or Shoe Goo (both have their merits for this sort of thing), but hopefully this will snug up the groups and maybe even bring in the first-shot fliers. So much for leaving well enough alone. . .

Pics likely to follow!
    WWJMBD?

In the Land of Oz, we cast with wheel weight and 2% Tin, Man.

My main reason for the 'hard' projectiles is to develop a load for the 'toy' Martini/Winchester. This is a 92 Win with a Cadet barrel fitted, it holds 6 rounds but soft projectiles can catch slightly on the feed ramp. An ideal rifle for teaching young kids the various courses of Western action.

During cyber Monday I posted that Midway had the RCBS 310-120 RN moulds on sell for 66.00 bucks. They still are for anyone that wants to try one. I shoot this very Boolit in mine and it does very well. Just thought I would throw this out there.

Roy
    Hooker53

Boolit Mold
    Does anyone know where to find an extractor for a BSA model 12? I need to pick up another extractor and beyond having a machinist build one, they seem to be rare as hens teeth. Any valuable leads would be MUCH appreciated.

Boolit Master
    You could set up a standing search with e-mail notifications on eBay. It might work better if you go to www.ebay.co.uk . They aren't common, but do turn up occasionally. Most of the BSA rimfires which preceded the quite different Martini-International have the same extractor.

The rimfire version might be called not that hard to make, depending on what you mean by hard... A lot of work, but not much complexity or chance of failure. The curvature of the inside where the two limbs join is quite important. First the rear of the flat underside of the block should contact the lower limb, for primary extraction with high leverage. Then the front of the block should hit the extractor close to its pivot point, and produce a much faster ejection stroke.

Boolit Master

Have you called Bob Adams?

http://www.adamsguns.com/martini.htm
    Last edited by skeettx; 11-27-2017 at 12:58 AM.
    NRA Benefactor 2004 USAF RET 1971-95

Well. I casted some Boolits this last weekend with my new RCBS mould. By and large, I'm happy. The heel cast a little small but think I can work that out. I have the set of soft stones made like pencil errasers and a set of mandrels from Brownels. Think I might can ease 1 or 2 thousands out that way. Anyone else tried similar? Keep shooting.

Roy
    Hooker53

Boolit Master

You are going in the correct direction
    and if necessary try a bit of
    fingernail polish (you choose the color)
    on the heel of the boolit
    Mike
    NRA Benefactor 2004 USAF RET 1971-95

Thanks Mike. Good idea. I'll give that a try.

Roy
    Hooker53

Happy Easter to all my Cadet shooting Freinds. Keep Shootn!!!!!

Roy
    Hooker53

Just wanted to stop in here before the Holiday Weekend came to s close and wish all my Cadet brothers Happy Thanksgiving. Keep Shooting.

Roy
    Hooker53

While this thread is a bit old, I would add this about cases to use:

My Cadet will NOT chamber a 32-20 case due to rim thickness. Having a Nagant Revolver, and 7.62X38R Nagant cases (Graff's), I found that a Nagant case with its' thinner rim thickness will chamber perfectly. Once fire-formed with Speer .32 Caliber HBWC bullets, then trimmed, seating a aloxed RCBS bullet by hand is SOOOO Simple. As a range experiment, I have loaded a single case 100 times at the range bench, with the popular 4.2 Unique load and SP primers. With simple hand reloading tools, and pre-measured powder in plastic test tubes, each reload takes about 75 seconds.

The HBWC Speer bullet, while undersize for my groove of .321", seems to expand well due to hollow base, and makes a really nice plinking load.

Page 13 of 14 FirstFirst ... 34567891011121314 LastLast