Reloading EverythingTitan ReloadingMidSouth Shooters SupplyInline Fabrication
Load DataWidenersRepackboxSnyders Jerky
RotoMetals2 Lee Precision
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Oh, the humanity! (Cowboy ready SKB SxS)

Unhappy Oh, the humanity! (Cowboy ready SKB SxS)

Went to Gun Breaker to look at SKB SxS shotguns (hey! got a problem with that?) and I saw a heresy that was worthy of flensing, rolling in salt, then a slow BBQ. Some idiot had bobbed FOUR SKB SxS down to 22" barrels (or so!), then is asking darn near the going price for original, unaltered SKBs.

"Cowboy action work by Johnny Meadows, including full action job, beveled chambers and mechanical trigger."

The SKB has a single trigger with a barrel selector at the upper rear. I have NO IDEA on why an SKB would need an "action job" as my SKB has worked FLAWLESSLY every time I have hunted with it since the mid 70s. Beveled chambers? What? I have NEVER had a problem with stuffing any of the hundreds of shells in during the mad glory days of the late 70s, hunting woodcock and grouse up north by Antigo. Butchers.

Ithaca SKB Model 100 20ga. Cowboy Ready
    Beautiful Ithaca SKB 280 12 ga Cowboy Ready
    SKB Royal Light Cowboy Action Shotgun 12ga
    Fully engraved Ithaca SKB 100 12ga
    Last edited by ohland; 07-25-2014 at 09:09 PM.
    Belle, Belle, Belle!
    Purty Gu-ur-url!

Boolit Master

Remember these are the same people who rust and "Distress" a new gun to make it look authentic.
    Ed Barrett
    AKA; elbStJoeMO
    If vegans love animal so much, why do they eat all their food?

Boolit Bub
    Ohland,

Johnny Meadows specializes in gun for Cowboy Action or SASS competition. Like any other competative shooting sport the rules allow some level of modification to improve the production gun performance within that sport. Some gun more than other lend themselves to mods and the SKB is one of those in the SASS game. The Browning BSS is another and either of these guns would be considered by many to be the "Cadillac" of SASS sxs. Five or so years ago these SKB's could be bought for $500 to $600 in 12ga. Today due to the demand and popularity in the cowboy game, a stock gun will bring $1000. A tricked out SKB will bring, depending on condition and the amount of life left in it, around $1,325 and beyond. I shoot the cowboy game and have a main match SKB sxs as well as a back-up SKB. I also have a couple stock guns waiting to be made into a cowboy gun.

Some of the mods done by Johnny Meadows include removing ejectors (not legal in SASS) funnel the chamber mouth for faster loading, polish the chambers for easier shucking of spent shells. Lighten the hammer springs and cocking lever spring for easy of opening the action, modify so that barrels open fully above the top of breach face with out added effort. Modifing the timing to reduce the amount of hammer/trigger sear overtravel. Modify the inertia trigger to set the second barrel when using a low recoil, shell which is all that is needed to take down a knock-down shotgun target. All this in addition to generally slickin' all the moving parts so the action is as smooth as butter.

Quote Originally Posted by oneMOA View Post
    polish the chambers for easier shucking of spent shells. Lighten the hammer springs and cocking lever spring for easy of opening the action, modify so that barrels open fully above the top of breach face with out added effort. Modifing the timing to reduce the amount of hammer/trigger sear overtravel. Modify the inertia trigger to set the second barrel when using a low recoil, shell which is all that is needed to take down a knock-down shotgun target. All this in addition to generally slickin' all the moving parts so the action is as smooth as butter.
    How many of these enhancements are period?

Gurk. There is only one area that I could see and that is for the low recoil shell. Sorta gaming the system, how many period SxS shotguns used inertial triggers?

Easier shucking of spent shells. - Heck, get a pump. never had an issue pulling the empties out.

Lighten springs... easy opening of action - The SKB is one of the most well behaved SxS that I have used. This sorta makes me imagine folks flipping the barrels up to shut it. While fast, it offends me about the same as flicking your wrist to snap a cylinder back into a revolver.

This is America, so whatever. FWIW, use a period replica gun to re-enact that era. If that is too much, then how about 300 Blackout with subsonics? 40 S&W with cast? How far does this go? For me, I went to cast boolits and a single shot, and I do shoot off-hand.

The bench proves the gun, off-hand proves the man (and I'm a poor copy at times...).
    Belle, Belle, Belle!
    Purty Gu-ur-url!

Boolit Bub
    I reckon so!

Boolit Master
    Ohand, Attend a CAS match and shoot a few stages and you will understand why Johnny Meadows is so well revered in the sport. This is competition that is on the clock. To win it calls for modified firearms.

The SKB is just a Japanese shotgun that has found value simply because of CAS. If CAS didn't exist you could buy these shotguns for well under $500. It just so happens that they lend themselves so well to being modified for the sport.
    Roy B
    Massachusetts

www.rvbprecision.com

Boolit Grand Master

Gamers and clothes vendors are why I don't play the SASS games. I'm a shooter, not a gamer or a clothes horse.I like the period guns & equipment but this game needs a back-to-basics makeover.
    Endowment Life Member NRA, Life Member TSRA, Member WACA, NRA Whittington Center, BBHC
    Smokeless powder is a passing fad! -Steve Garbe
    I hate rude behavior in a man. I won't tolerate it. -Woodrow F. Call, Lonesome Dove
    Some of my favorite recipes start out with a handful of depleted counterbalance devices.

Quote Originally Posted by rbertalotto View Post
    Attend a CAS match and shoot a few stages... This is competition that is on the clock. To win it calls for modified firearms.
    Well, the rifle club here has a cowboy range in the back, and it's probably 100 yards long, with various shooting stages off to one side. After over a quarter century of box and belt fed guns, I want to see if I can get good results using more simple guns. If I can shoot a gun well that was built before my Grandad was born, perhaps that might mean that I had to apply myself, practice and experiment with casting to get better. After reading about Rabbeth and Hudson, I don't see myself as the "Human Benchrest" in any way. BUT when I can ring the hanger at 75yds way more often than not, it gives me some hope that I can get better.

On the clock. Haven't wore a watch in two months. Nobody can tell me what I need to be competitive, because I don't need to compete. We all die someday, so what is being a fraction of a second faster going to get you when they shovel dirt on you? My guns are well maintained and they are not "niche".

Working around limitations makes an individual more proficient. I'll use my money for more ammo and guns, thank you very much. Time to go to the range, the old retrobate wants to try out the .323 sized, softer lead 321297 boolits I cast up. I can try my 6.8 SPC.
    Belle, Belle, Belle!
    Purty Gu-ur-url!

Boolit Master
    Folks that don't shoot Cowboy Action simply don't get it. I felt theexact same way about the gaming and the cloths. But then I liked the idea about hanging with a bunch of like minded gun nuts and shooting a whole bunch of rounds after driving an hour plus to a shoot. So I attended a shoot and got hooked BIG TIME....I only owned one lever action rifle two years ago. Now I have 16!!! Only owned one single action revolver.....Don't even know how many I have now.

To me it is all about the period guns and the fantastic folks that shoot this game.

Being fast is not the point (unless you want it to be)...Some folks need a calendar to record their times. But they are having a ball....

And then, there are the women that shoot with us...........Soiled Doves add a certain look to the game...
    Roy B
    Massachusetts

www.rvbprecision.com

Boolit Buddy
    I just closed the door to my gun safe..but before I did I held my SKB 200 and made a promise. As long as I live I will never allow it to be altered in such a way. If someone else wants to do that to their gun that is all right with me. I have too many memories of long gone friends and great hunting dogs of years gone bye that would be lost. Just my 2 cents

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by ohland View Post
    How many of these enhancements are period?

This is America, so whatever. FWIW, use a period replica gun to re-enact that era. If that is too much, then how about 300 Blackout with subsonics? 40 S&W with cast? How far does this go?
    ohland, it's not about being period correct, it's about cowboy movie fantasy. If it was correct there would be stages such as "Virgil Earp"-fire both barrels at one target--end of stage; or "Luke Short vs. Courtright"-shoot target at near contact distance--end of stage.

Not that USPSA/IPSC or even IDPA are more realistic. When IDPA started it was supposed to be more realistic, but adding the clock takes away from that as I found out in my first match: I shot it like my life depended on my tactics and placed poorly because everybody else shot it like a slowed down IPSC match.

As for the chopped SKBs I wouldn't worry too much. Shooting sports impact guns, but not every 70 Series 1911 has a comp on it, and most doubles won't be put to the blade.
    Most people would sooner die than think, in fact, they do so. -B. Russell

No matter what shooting sport you have there will always be a few people who have to push it to the limits to gain an advantage. Eventually every shooting sport seems to end up with an unlimited class. I prefer to see competition that is more real life. I can't even dry cycle my Henry 22 as fast as some of the slicked up rifles they are shooting in some of the CAS matches.

In the 3 gun matches I'd like to see them have to drop the guns in mud or sand and see how fast they function. It would be a whole different story for those race guns.

Quote Originally Posted by Geraldo View Post
    it's not about being period correct, it's about cowboy movie fantasy.
    Dilettantes is what they gamers are. To see how good people are, they should be provided the same guns and we will see who the naturals are. Everyone else that wants to shoot and have fun, by all means!

Are the slicked up gamers like Dungeons and Dragons nerds from the 80s?

Gaah. Time to go back to the veneration of the holy Boolit, peering into the melt, pouring the plumbous blessing into reliquaries that have been blessed and are pure enough to form the blessed projectile.
    Belle, Belle, Belle!
    Purty Gu-ur-url!

Quote Originally Posted by 762sultan View Post
    held my SKB 200
    It is probably as tight as the day it came into your life, the chrome lined bores still shine, and other than worn bluing (and a few scratches), it will most likely be that way when the next supplicant to the wonders will carry it.
    Belle, Belle, Belle!
    Purty Gu-ur-url!

Boolit Master

It's been a few years since I participated in CAS so apparently some rools have changed. It use to be that shotguns had to have outside hammers. I don't recall that the guns mentioned have them. Winchester 97s were often thought of by some to not be period correct. Maybe Win model 12s or Rem 870s are allowed now? Anyway it looks like the CAS game has turned into another arms race. Too bad.

Boolit Buddy
    Wouldn't it be nice if they had a basic class one handgun and limited the rifle and shotgun to a value amount. Maybe I'm just embarrassed from the wife outshooting me with my Rossi as I was using a Marlin Cowboy.

Boolit Bub
    Life is about competition in just about everything we do and good equipment is part of the winning edge. Les Baer has made millions from competitive mods to the 1911. Fortunes have been made just about everywhere you look in a competitive endevor, not just in shooting sports but golf, football, tennis, auto racing and the list can go on. Don't throw stones at anothers shooting game if you haven't tried it. SASS has over 100,000 members across America and the world........I'd call that a sucess. Here's a good example of good equipment and a certain level of skill.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jHI6JFEtUwE
    Someone once said! Never argue with a stupid person..........I reckon so!

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by oneMOA View Post
    Here's a good example of good equipment and a certain level of skill.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jHI6JFEtUwE
    Pretty fast all right. Best I've done is the mid 14 second range. And I'm not considered fast.

Ive been looking for a reasonably priced SKB 12 gauge for at least 4 years. I'm still looking.

Boolit Master

So ohland, are you willing to shoot the whole cowboy match with Blackpowder guns? Rifle, both pistols and shotgun? No? Then you aren't REALLY shooting the weapons of the old west. I do, most don't, but I don't call them names. I just enjoy the shooting and only compare my times with the other BP shooters. I long ago gave up letting what others do dictate how I have fun. I personally shoot 1872 Colts( Italian copies of course) an 1866 or 1873 rifle and an old L.C Smith double barrel. I don't beat too many other guys but I have fun. My wife and 2 kids shoot with me also, just adds to the fun. I actually like the dressing up part, I even wear chaps as long as it isn't too hot out. If people won't go just because they have to wear jeans and a cowboy hat it is their loss, IMHO. But to each his own.

Boolit Bub
    Quote Originally Posted by Alvarez Kelly View Post
    Pretty fast all right. Best I've done is the mid 14 second range. And I'm not considered fast.

Ive been looking for a reasonably priced SKB 12 gauge for at least 4 years. I'm still looking.
    Alvarez,

As noted in an earlier post the SKB is the Cadillac or one of the Cadillac guns for SASS and the demand from the cowboy shooters has driven the price up. Then there's the cost of the gunsmith work to make it "Cowboy ready." I have recently sold several SKB "Cowboy guns," the least expensive was $1,325 the most expensive was $1,400. My personal SKB's (main match and back-up) would take more than that to buy either of them. They are SKB 200e Coin Finish. If you are waiting for the price to come down, you may be disappointed. The market seems to be drying up since most of what's available on Gunbroker are 20 guages. If you have been looking at SKB's then this is not news to you.
    Someone once said! Never argue with a stupid person..........I reckon so!

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast