WidenersLee PrecisionTitan ReloadingRepackbox
MidSouth Shooters SupplyInline FabricationSnyders JerkyLoad Data
RotoMetals2 Reloading Everything

Thread: How good of groups you getting with a 340 savage-30-30?

Boolit Buddy

How good of groups you getting with a 340 savage-30-30?

How well does your 30-30 Savage group at 100 yards and what are you shooting, bullet and powder wise?
    If its not going to do well,i will not play with mine much!It shoots words fine and i may just leave it set for hunting season.

Boolit Master
    I bought a 340 with a shortened barrel (19") about 2 years ago but haven't done much with it except develop some light loads for plinking. 7.4 grains of Green Dot with the Lee 150 FP,. the Lee "soup can," and Lyman 311291 all shoot into an inch or so at 50 yards. 18 grains of IMR 4198 with the Lyman 311041 does 3/4" at 50 yards. I tried some fifty year old factory ammo (Remington and WW 170 grain FPs) but it wouldn't shoot very well. I've got to play with this gun some more.
    Maineboy

With AR2208 (varget)
    and here is a group with AR2205 (H4227)

I have found with case I need to open bolt, push magazine in then close bolt. I find with the flat point cast bullets there is a corresponding flat area on the bolt that catches up if you are bringing the bolt head back on a full magazine.
    ars longa, vita brevis

A gun club range aquaintance has one of those Savage's, that regularly gives him 1-1/2" 100yd groups with cast boolits.

His rifle is scoped (side mount), but IDK the load details (sorry).

I do know, however, that he needs to be careful about the OAL of his loaded rounds - he once tried to remove a round from the chamber, and the boolit stuck/stayed in the start of the rifling, the extracted case spilling powder throughout the action.

Boolit Buddy
    I am working with mine. At 50 yards it is doing well,but at 100 yds. it is wild and shoots go up and down the target? The gun shoots jacketed bullets prety well. I am loading my bullets sized to .309,but am sizing some to .310 for this weeks trip to the range!
    How much would the C.O.L. have to do with grouping,with cast loading?

Banned

Mine shot about a 2" -2 1/2" group or two using the NOE 311041 clone and 26 grains of IMR 4895 the other day. This after I had not shot it in a long time, and I never really wrung out a lot of load development for the rifle. I have a 4X scope on mine.

It isn't a tack driver, but is as accurate as most other .30-30s, certainly a worthy woods deer rifle. You do have to be careful of cartridge length, mine really doesn't seem to like to eject loaded rounds.

Boolit Master
    Mine will shoot nickel groups at 100yds with cast. I did machine the end of the barrel so it has a nice target crown vs whatever they put on barrels back in those days.

They are Lee 200gr .308 bullets, tho not from an out of the box mold. Lee tends to mold undersize, I opened it up a little so a lee .309 sizer will size it all the way around, I have an unmodded lee 170gr and the sizer doesnt do a whole lot to them. I am running subsonic w solo1000 powder. Have compared checked and unchecked, not any real difference in accuracy.

Being a bolt gun I can neck size only. All one brand brass, the usual things. I have learned not to try and load the mag full, rim tends to dig onto the exposed lead of round under it when closing the bolt. So I load one, then put the mag in with one in it. The trigger leaves much to be desired, and not much can be done with it. Lighten it a little messing with the springs, or polishing things.