RepackboxTitan ReloadingReloading EverythingMidSouth Shooters Supply
Inline FabricationLee PrecisionLoad DataWideners
RotoMetals2
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Share a Milsurp story or two.............

Share a Milsurp story or two.............

I'm really enjoying the Milsurp picture thread.

Was wondering if you Gents cared to share a quick story behind your Milsurp purchases?
    Something along the lines of how it came to be, what drew you to the surplus firearm in question.
    Was it a gift or did you have to hide it for another time?

Just good basic story telling.

I don't know what it is lately, but I just can't kick this thirst and hunger for Milsurps!
    "Everyone has a plan, until they get punched in the face!" - Mike Tyson

"Don't let my fears become yours." - Me, talking to my children

That look on your face, when you shift into 6th gear, but it's not there.

Boolit Master
    I'm more into sporterized military stuff than rifles in military dress. I had been looking for a reasonably priced Turk or other large ring/small barrel thread Mauser as I have been hankerin' to put a Remington take off barrel on a Mauser. Don't know why, just something I wanna do.

Local firearms site had a listing for a guy selling Milsurps and one of them was a Turk for $150. Went to see it. Well worn, mostly complete, smelled like lemon pledge or ??, mismatched numbers. Worked out a deal for $125 with 20 rounds of surplus ammo. Gonna shoot it today and I HOPE it doesn't shoot well............

Boolit Buddy
    Guy wanted to sell M41 Carcano for parts cheap.It had beaten stock with few wood repairs,bolt from Carcano carbines (it headspaces nice-go figure) and it couldnt shoot any decent groups with jacketed .268 Hornady bullets.

So I adopted it.

After a week of getting copper out of the barrel I started shooting it with NOE .269 cast and 11.1 Gr of 2400.

Now it's my most predictable shooter and one of the most accurate.

Boolit Grand Master bedbugbilly's Avatar
    Well . . . mine is a story of woe and regret! LOL I collected guns for close to 50 years - loved military rifles. But, I was a black powder shooter until a few years ago. I was never interested in shooting centirefire unless it was the few times I went deer hunting with my father-in-law in the U.P. and I had a beautiful European sporterized 8mm Mauser that I carried - but only took one shot with it at a deer and missed.

Fast forward. I got older and retired and we started wintering in AZ. I decided to sell most of my long guns as my wife had no idea of what they were or what they were worth and we don't have kids. After all, I had no interest in shooting center fire guns - at that time! I had a collection of Arisakas, British Enfields - SMLEs - a nice 577-450 Martina - an absolutely beautiful P-14 made by Winchester. I bought that one off of a guy at a gun show for the high price of $65.00 - it was pristine! Well, at the time, I had no interest so they were sold.

A few years ago, I got interested in shooting vintage cartridge revolvers and reloading - mainly 38 specials. I had cast for 50 years for my black powder shooting so it was a natural transition. The only military rifle I kept was a German Mauser that my half-frother had given to me. His grandfather brought two of them back at the end of World War I. He wants to give me the other one but I want to pay him for it as I just feel better about doing it that way. And I probably should mention that mine has the long slender bayonet and scabbard with it and his has the butcher blade bayonet with the sawbuck on the blade.

I've never reloaded bottleneck cartridge but I'm about to start with the Mauser that I have. When I got it in the mid 1960's from my half-brother, I cleaned the bore well and have always kept it oils. Yesterday, I cleaned it all up and the bore is very nice and bright. I've got dies coming and I'm getting stuff around to load up "plinking rounds" for it - cast boolits of course. Hoperully, when I get the other rifle that my half-brother has, it will be in as good in regards to the bore.

Like anything else, this little "project" has "whetted my appetite" to start looking for other mil-surp rifles that would be fun to shoot. I can easily see how it can become "addictive" and why so many of you fellows enjoy it.

I'm older now and no longer hunt but I still enjoy shooting when I can. Do I regret I sold my mil-supr rifle collection? You bet iI do! But hey, hindsight is always better than seeing what lies down the road in the future. At least I know that someone has them that is enjoying them. We may "own 'em" but in reality, we're just the "caretakers" of them for the next generation. But I sure do wish I ha that pristine Winchester P-14!

An added note -

I had a half dozen different Arisakas. One was a "last ditch' model" that had some "charring" on the stock - I always wondered if it was the result of a flame thrower. All had their "Mums" intact. About the time I was thinking of liquidating my collection, I had a "barn sale" to get rid of a bunch of stuff. For fun, I put out one of the Arisakas with a reasonable price on it. I didn't sell it but during the sale, I had two different older gentlemen who I watched pick it up and examine it from one end to the other. Each time, I asked the individual if he wass interested in it and if I could answer any questions. Both times, the men replied a polite "no" and then followed it up with - "I just wanted to look at it. I was in the South Pacific during the war" Both gentlemen took the time to sit down in the shade with me and we visited for quite a while as they shared some of their experiences. One had been wounded in the neck on Iwo Jima by a Arisaka. I had known this man through my father for a number of years as he and his father we masons and had done a lot of block laying for my Dad over the years. He very rarely would talk about his experiences but that day, he just seem to be full of stories he wanted to share.

In the end, I could tell that he had some pretty deep guilt feelings about why he had survived and so many of his buddies hadn't. When he got ready to leave, I asked him if he ws interested in the Arisaka at all and if he was, I would give it to him. He thanked me for the kind offer but said that he had been looking at it as it had been years since he'd seen one and if he got it, it would only stir up some things he figured that were better off forgotten. Before leaving, he did tell me that after he was wounded, things were so screwed up that he had been reported as KIA to his parents. It was a number off weeks before it was straightened out and his parents were notified that he had been wounded in action but had survived. He said he couldn't imagine what his parents had gone through when they were notified that he was KIA as he and his three brothers were all int he service. One in the Navy, one in Eurpoe who had landed at the beaches on D Day and the third brother in Italy with the 34th Division. My father-in-law had been in the 34th Division in North Africa and Italy and I know what he had gone through.

Sorry to get so long winded. This is a great thread and I hope others will share their stories! I always enjoy reading things like that!

Boolit Master
    My best story would be my beloved M28-76 Mosin left handed marksmanship rifle. Only a few came in left hand with the scope base. I went to pick it up at my ffl and he showed me the box. I about had a heart attack. No packing, big hole. Rifle ended up being fine with the bent bolt hanging up in the hole and barely making it half in and half out. I don't think I have ever seen a spare bolt if it were lost. It shoots everything well, and I mean everything. The least finicky rifle I have ever shot.
    Last edited by texassako; 07-25-2014 at 10:34 AM. Reason: fixing screwy phone additions

Boolit Master
    I too tend to eye milsurps as a basis for custom sporting rifles, but have kept a few in military trim over the years. The first one that I got and didn't immediately remodel was a M1896 Krag carbine, that was in a serial number block credited to the Rough Riders. I was 16 at the time (1969) and the rifle cost me $35. I acquired my first bullet mold at the same time- a Lyman 311241 155grain RN PB- and a can of 2400. I melted some soft lead in an empty soup can and cast a pile of pretty sorry looking bullets which I promptly loaded with a stiff charge of 2400-- with no lube on the bullets. Oh, the hubris of youth! First shot hit the bullseye but by the end of firing 20 shots those bullets were hitting god knows where. Feeling pretty dejected, I headed home to clean the thing. Imagine my surprise when I discovered that bore to have its grooves pretty well filled with lead. Three evenings, a handful of bore brushes, and a bottle of Hoppes later, I was back in business. Switching to a lighter charge of faster burning powder, buying a stick of Javelina lube, and sizing in a grampaw-made push through die had me on the right track. Then I managed to stick a 150 grain jacketed bullet halfway down the barrel when I substituted it for a lead bullet in a cat sneeze load. The local gunsmith carefully drilled it out, after I first destroyed a jointed cleaning rod in the process of trying to beat it out. No harm, no foul- and I even learned a few more new cuss words from the old guy who rescued me!

That old milsurp taught me a lot of valuable life lessons, which may explain my continuing fondness for Krags. (And I haven't forgotten those cuss words either!)

I am an Avid WW2 collector, I have been in the News paper here and on TV in Ky. I have been collecting for 15 years and work at a sporting goods store, where we have Vets come in of all shapes and sizes. One day I had a Vet come in and talk to me he was a regular here and I know him Very well. Well one day he took me up on my offer (EVERY WW2 Vet that comes in I offer to buy them dinner at what ever restraunt they want) As we were eating he looked at me and said, that he was on IWO and that's where he found God. He was on a patrol with 3 other marines when they were ambushed by 6 or 7 Japs. He said that they killed all of the japs with their Thompsons, he went around the corner to relieve him self while his buddies were "treasure" hunting, as he went around a tree he said he dropped his pants and turned around and was facing a Jap solider with his rifle raised. He said the only thoughts that came to him was well, I always knew I was gonna die on this island. The Solider pulled the trigger and he herd a loud POP not a Bang, he said that fell over through shock, he said when he relized that he was not shot the Jap solider grabbed this rifle and was going to start beating him with it, but this Vet was quicker and shot the solider with his 45. He took his rifle and his Bayo and sent them home in a Bible Box. After Dinner he Gave me the rifle, Bayo and the capture paper for the items he took. He did 2 weeks later..

Upon examining the rifle, the Jap solider had a squib load and the bullet is lodged about 3 inches from the end of the muzzle.

Thank you to ALL of the Vets of the Armed forces of the U.S.A

43PU
    Last edited by 43PU; 07-25-2014 at 10:12 AM. Reason: add info

Boolit Master

Had a buddy give me a New England Westinghouse M91 Mosin several years back. He was a pretty staunch vegetarian and animal rights guy. I killed my first 2 deer with that rifle. 52gr. IMR 4350 under a Speer 150gr. HotCor bullet.
    You can miss fast & you can miss a lot, but only hits count.

Boolit Buddy milsurpcollector1970's Avatar
    Now THAT is funny

Quote Originally Posted by EMC45 View Post
    Had a buddy give me a New England Westinghouse M91 Mosin several years back. He was a pretty staunch vegetarian and animal rights guy. I killed my first 2 deer with that rifle. 52gr. IMR 4350 under a Speer 150gr. HotCor bullet.

Boolit Buddy milsurpcollector1970's Avatar
    I got into collecting milsurps after seeing a M96 swede in a gun store in 1997. It was my first centerfire rifle. Used to shoot it at the public range with a friend from work. He had a sporterized No.4.303 I reloaded for both of us. We would bring steel plates out to the range. I can still here the sound they make when you hit one.

I now collect sniper rifles because of my eyesight.

I also do some gunsmithing but I only sporterize stuff that has already been hacked on

Boolit Master

Maybe not much of a milsurp story but I've got this 'thing' for pre-WWII carbines...Krags, '91 and '09 Argies, LE #5s, K-31s, etc...and have managed to accumulate a small collection of examples. Funny thing is, for the most part, all have been more or less 'rescues'...guns that I picked up for reasonable prices because no one else seemed to want them at the time. I guess my 'pets' are an 1898 Krag 'sporter'...probably a Bannerman rework...that still carries (according the folks at Lyman) a Lyman receiver sight manufactured between 1919 and 1921 with a 'vintage' King Gun Co. front ramp and an all-matching '09 Argie cavalry model that I snagged from an estate sale for $125. The Argie was absolutely oozing cosmoline, inside and out, but cleaned up to what I'd call NRA 'Good+' and shoots better than I can hold with issue sights.

Bill
    "I'm not often right but I've never been wrong."

Jimmy Buffett
    "Scarlet Begonias"

Boolit Master

Back in the late 80's we got the Garand bug and my wife and I purchased one each. Then the 90's rolled around and the M1D Sniper lottery happened. We both sent our money in and waited. She got one!! Not a military story but I like the way it ended.

Hope for the best, plan for the worst.
    My amendment can beat up your amendment.

Boolit Master

43pu that is an awesome story. Thanks for sharing.

My story is how I received my first milsurp. Dad and I had gone to a gunshow in my hometown along about 1990 or 91. We had looked at a few guns and I was quite interested since Dad had recently given me a Lee reloading kit. But being newly married and still in college I had no money. Still a good time though. As we left the show we ran into a gentleman entering the show with an enfield, a no 4 mk2 to be exact. Dad asked to see it and passed it over to me. I remember being most intrigued with the adjustable peep sight. Anyway, Dad asked him how much and a deal was struck for the princely sum of $ 70. As I recall that included an ammo can with ammo. After the guy left Dad said "Happy birthday" and we headed for the truck. It was nowhere near my birthday either. Anyway, that started my lifelong obsession with "accumulating" and by far the most represented are various milsurps. He still surprises me with one on a regular basis, the most recent being a Steyr m95.
    "Is all this REALLY necessary?"

I'm enjoying the replies. Great stories. Thank you.
    "Everyone has a plan, until they get punched in the face!" - Mike Tyson

"Don't let my fears become yours." - Me, talking to my children

That look on your face, when you shift into 6th gear, but it's not there.

I Have Tons of stories from Vets, I have a Browning Hi power That was in the 101 airborne, that was in the battle of the bulge I have the vets paperwork the picture of the SS that "no longer needed it" if you want more stories just PM me ill try to take pics

my first center fire rifle was a 7x57 Mexican Mauser that came thru Coast to Coast - I added a recoil pad then had a scope put on it and a sporter was born - still have it. I have always purchases military rifles some have been previously "enhanced" some have been as issued, I'm such a fickle collector I just get what feels "right" to me. If it's been worked on in the past I have no problem with modifying to my own needs / thoughts. Some of the other though I just leave as I find them with a little cleaning up.

How far have I gone - some examples
    threaded barrel - moved front sight back - added scope

change caliber to 7.62x39 - scope mounted - stock changed - built in flash/muzzle brake - change to WASR mags

Barrel cut back to get rid of counter bore - barrel threaded then bushing made and threaded to correct size - Scout scope
    stock redone - added cheekrest to line up to scope - recoil pad
    je suis charlie

It is better to live one day as a LION than a dozen days as a Sheep.

Thomas Jefferson Quotations:
    "The strongest reason for the people to retain the right to keep and bear arms is, as a last resort, to protect themselves against tyranny in government."

Boolit Grand Master

The 1st 2 milsurps I owned were MNs I got a long time ago in a land far away...........

The M91/28s previous owner was hard to get along with and we knocked around a bit which put 3 dings in the stock before the "deal" stuck and it cost me a bit of "boot"......one 7.62 NATO M80 round. The previous owner of the Type 53 was really not wanting to make any deal as he took a shot at me which just grazed me. He had a precarious position and relented and gave up the Type 53 after I made an offer of around 50+ 7.62 NATO M80 ball rounds (note what I'm holding in my avatar).........fortunately I did not hit the Type 53 in the exchange.

Larry Gibson

Attachment 111777

Boolit Master
    A few years ago I picked up a Walther PP, 1940 manufacture .32ACP, and a BRNO-made 98k, dated 1943, from the G.I. who "liberated" them in Normandy two weeks after D-Day. The Walther has the sweetest trigger I ever pulled on a pocket .32. The 98k became a very nice sporter done up in a pre-WWI style Euro-stalker style.

The Browning M1900 pistol in its period monkey leather holster was gotten from the widow of a Flying Tiger who carried it when flying P-40s over Burma/China. She brought it in to the LGS where I happened to be hanging out at the time and said she wanted it gone from her possession. The shop owner looked at me and said "do you want it?" Duh. She gave me an 8x10" B&W glossy photograph of her husband standing in front of the shark-nose P-40 in full flight gear, with that little pistol strapped across his chest. She just wanted to get rid of it and stopped in on a whim on her way to the police station to turn it in. I insisted on giving her something for it but she said "son, I have more money than I know what to do with. It's yours." I still have it, and no it's not for sale!

Quote Originally Posted by Larry Gibson View Post
    The 1st 2 milsurps I owned were MNs I got a long time ago in a land far away...........

The M91/28s previous owner was hard to get along with and we knocked around a bit which put 3 dings in the stock before the "deal" stuck and it cost me a bit of "boot"......one 7.62 NATO M80 round. The previous owner of the Type 53 was really not wanting to make any deal as he took a shot at me which just grazed me. He had a precarious position and relented and gave up the Type 53 after I made an offer of around 50+ 7.62 NATO M80 ball rounds (note what I'm holding in my avatar).........fortunately I did not hit the Type 53 in the exchange.

Larry Gibson

Attachment 111777
    GREAT story! Thank you for collecting those two guns, and thank you for telling the story.
    I'm a Happy Clinger.

The first mil surp I ever shot was an M1 Carbine. (Made by IBM) Just plain fun to shoot. I took a young lady out to shoot it and dog gone if she didn't outshoot me with it. I figured I should hang on to that young lady. We will be married 21 years in Sept. The M1 Carbine is still her favorite gun.
    I'm a Happy Clinger.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast