Snyders JerkyRotoMetals2Reloading EverythingLoad Data
RepackboxInline FabricationWidenersMidSouth Shooters Supply
Lee Precision Titan Reloading

Thread: .357 magnum - one hunting load for pistol and rifle?

Boolit Mold

.357 magnum - one hunting load for pistol and rifle?

Pistol: S&W 586 5 inch barrel
    Rifle: Rossi R92 19 inch barrel

I might be totally off base here for trying to have one load for both but I would like a hunting load using .357 mag case, Lee 158gr TL bullet probably made from 100% COWW...

What I tried so far was to take Paco's advice (http://www.leverguns.com/articles/pa...literature.htm)
    Quote here:"A lead bullet at 158 grains over 6.5 grains (Bullseye) gives 1320 fps for 33,900 psi. I have used this load with cast bullets extensively in rifles and handguns... velocity is about the same in both... like most fast powders. "

So I loaded up 10 like described above and chronoed them:
    Rifle: 1400 FPS
    Pistol: 1100 FPS
    So 300 fps difference isn't bad (not the same like Paco said) and probably wont lead as it is right at 1400 fps, right? (I only shot 2 rounds)

(the other powder I have is 2400, if that would be more appropirate for the rifle)
    What do you guys think? Guess I need to worry about accuracy probably, but just need a plan and a place to start.

thanks,

Boolit Master

Forget about velocity and pick any reasonably powerful load that is accurate in both.

Bulls Eye or any thing similar is the LAST powder I would try.

Look at Herco, 2400, Blue Dot, AA No 9, H 110, Win 296.

There are others that would work just as well.
    First reload: .22 Hornet. 1956.
    More at: http://reloadingtips.com/

"Any man who thinks he can be happy and prosperous by letting the
    government take care of him better take a closer look at the American Indian."
    - Henry Ford

Boolit Buddy
    I've got a keg of Herco, so I've been trying a bunch of Herco loads for .357 (4.625" Vaquero and 16" Rossi '92) and I've found that 7.9 gr in a .357 case ( from Alliant 2004 manual) shoots very well in both with 158 gr hard cast LSWC (18 bhn); around 1300 fps in the revolver and a lot more in the rifle (haven't had a chance to chrono those yet). There's a little leading in the Vaquero, mostly around the forcing cone, but actually less in the Rossi---I'm guessing because of the slower twist barrel and smooth throat.

Since I have a lot of .38 spl cases, I've also been playing with .38 +P+ loads, inspired by an old article by John Goins at Castpics. 6.2 gr of Herco in a .38 case moves the 158 gr bullet along nicely---close to 1100 fps in the revolver and 1350 in the rifle, which makes for some nice plinking ammo.

A number of years ago, Herco was an extremely popular powder for loading 357 mag and other magnum rounds. New powders came out that were somewhat better(296/AA9/H110 among others).
    Herco still does the job though, just like it did years ago.

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by tazman View Post
    A number of years ago, Herco was an extremely popular powder for loading 357 mag and other magnum rounds. New powders came out that were somewhat better(296/AA9/H110 among others).
    Herco still does the job though, just like it did years ago.
    I'm really starting to like Herco, especially because it's economical for mid-power loads. You can certainly get higher MV with H110 or 2400, but you need to use a lot of it, and those MVs are not really practical with CBs anyway. Some folks say it's dirty, but it's not bad at all---way better than Unique and Blue Dot.

Boolit Master

I have worked up several full power load with surplus#9 and Lilgun powders that shoots well in my 357 mag pistol's as well as my marlin 357 mag rifle with the LEE GB 180gr wfn gc boolet .

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by bobthenailer View Post
    I have worked up several full power load with surplus#9 and Lilgun powders that shoots well in my 357 mag pistol's as well as my marlin 357 mag rifle with the LEE GB 180gr wfn gc boolet .

Is that the same as Accurate No 9 ?

- Henry Ford

Boolit Master
    Blackthunder -

Howdy !

My favorite load for both 4,5, & 6" .357Mag " N"-frames.... and also shot well in Marlin M1894SC is:

14.5gr WW296 ( H110 same stuff ) and an SP Magnum primer, under any Lyman .357" cal SWC of 158 - 172gr.
    The boolits don't have to be GC. Other's 158SWCs also shoot well in this load.

With regards,
    357Mag

Boolit Grand Master

While I appreciate Paco Kelly's articles and viewpoints, some of his load data I'd personally stay away from and stay within published loads from the manufacturers.

Personally I'd use a slow magnum pistol powder. They're listed above by another poster.

The 2400 you already have would be a superb powder to use.
    Last edited by osteodoc08; 07-25-2014 at 02:30 PM.

Boolit Grand Master

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	image.jpg 
Views:	80 
Size:	45.5 KB 
ID:	111690

Might be be a little fuzzy but max charge is 4.8gr Bullseye for 357 mag with an 158gr LSWC.
    Last edited by osteodoc08; 07-25-2014 at 02:19 PM.

You said hunting, but did not mention what you are trying to kill, which would make a big difference in what bullet & powder you use
    IHMSA # 566 "time sure flies when you're having FUN"

Boolit Master

Of the powders available to the OP, I would pick 2400 for hunting loads in both the rifle and revolver. Use Alliant data.

Moderator Emeritus

Pick the gun that you shoot the best. Work up loads for that that give you the best accuracy and settle for acceptable accuracy in the other, probably the handgun.
    [The Montana Gianni] Front sight and squeeze

Boolit Master
    Not knowing what your intending to hunt, I'd say go with the 2400 as it is what you have. I will say that we have had excellent accuracy in all of our 357s (7 so far) with a 180gr WFN and 9.0 grains blue dot. I've been playing with HS6 lately as I managed to fins some and it is showing promise also.
    See Some of My Holster Work Here:
    www.whitetigerleatherworks.com

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by williamwaco View Post
    Is that the same as Accurate No 9 ?
    Its close ! my lots # are a little slower burning between AA#9 & 296/H-110

Boolit Grand Master

I would not be using Bullseye for hunting loads. For light target loads it's great. I've settled on a MP 359640 overtop of 14.5 grains H110 and a CCI SR primer as my white tail load. Shoots great out of a Marlin 1894 and a 6" 586. It's all I want to handle out of the 586.

Boolit Master
    I would recommend attacking the question from a different perspective - terminal ballistics. Figure out the minimum velocity you need to cleanly kill your chosen quarry at the maximum range you will allow yourself to take the shot with the handgun then use the same load for both rifle and pistol. The rifle will just extend your range. For example - If you think 900 FPS is adequate with a 158 gr. SWC to cleanly kill a medium size whitetail at 50 yards with a shoulder shot, then 1200 FPS at the muzzle is all you need. The rifle will extend your range to about 125 since your rifle's MV might be about 1700 FPS. When I was once using sabots with 158 gr 357 cal. boolits in my 45 cal muzzleloader, the above velocities worked just dandy on black-tail deer in my area (I use only PRB now).

Boolit Master

If Bulls Eye is all you can get ( In this market, you must use what you can find. ) you can use it.

Lyman Cast Bullet Vol 4 lists a MAXIMUM CHARGE OF 6.9 gr Bulls Eye with the 158/160 gr cast bullets.
    That is 1100 fps and 42,000 CUP. I personally consider that too hot and would not use it.

I have used 6.5 grains in my Thompson Contender but did not get good accuracy, and would not recommend anything over 6.0. That gets you back to around 1000 fps and you now have a .38 Special +P.

I recommend you go with the 2400. 12.5 to 13 grains.
    Last edited by williamwaco; 07-27-2014 at 02:43 PM.

- Henry Ford

Boolit Buddy
    One thing I've noticed is that 180 gr bullets don't actually work as well as I expected from my Rossi 92; the slow twist rate doesn't see to stabilize the longer bullets past 50 yards---accuracy drops way off at longer ranges, even when I push the MV to nearly 1400 fps, which is about as fast as I'd want without a gas check. So, I'd suggest working something up for the 158 gr boolits, and I'll second the recommendation for 2400---lots more potential there!