Reloading EverythingTitan ReloadingLoad DataMidSouth Shooters Supply
WidenersRepackboxInline FabricationLee Precision
RotoMetals2

Thread: 3 way case trimmer

Boolit Master

3 way case trimmer

I was communicating with a member who has a custom made 3 way trimmer for cases he makes. Here is my delema. I would like to know if any body else knows or has a custom made a trimmer like that, why you ask, RCBS doesn't support .458 SOCOM, or makes 3 way trimmers for straight wall cases, said there customer support division. Maybe the company who made the dies for the SOCOM will make a case timmer. This is for a dual purpose, 1. accurize the lenght of my bullet jackets for swaging and 2. trim my .458 cases, when need be.
    As always, Thanks.

Bill

Send a PM to: GRUMPA.

I never had much luck with the Lyman 3-way case trimmer, but I've heard better things about the Forester tool: http://www.forsterproducts.com/store...08&catid=19938 but it's limited to 30 cal judging from the description. I'm not sure though that any 3-1 tool can delivery the repeatable accuracy you require.

I'd recommend something like the WFT (Little Crow Gun Works) for speed and precision but I can't see it working with a straight walled case.

The LE Wilson trimmer (http://lewilson.com/products.html) is still the standard by which I measure all other trimmers in terms of precision and they do a straight walled case holder as well. The process isn't as quick as the WFT though. The micrometer adjustment is handy but not essential. The trick would be to adapt something similar to the Forester tool onto a LE Wilson threaded handle or power adaptor. It still amazes me that the LE Wilson design that spins the tool still gets better precision than any of the trimmers that follow the lathe principal and spin the workpiece instead. Maybe that's why LE Wilson doesn't do a 3-1 trimmer tool?
    Be careful what you aim for, you might hit it! Antipodean Industrial - Home of the G7L projecitles

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by blltsmth View Post
    Send a PM to: GRUMPA.
    I have, I can't seem to connect with his friend who made his cutter. I've asked him a few
    questions about different things. I don't want to be a bother.
    Thanks
    Bill

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by aaronraad View Post
    I never had much luck with the Lyman 3-way case trimmer, but I've heard better things about the Forester tool: http://www.forsterproducts.com/store...08&catid=19938 but it's limited to 30 cal judging from the description. I'm not sure though that any 3-1 tool can delivery the repeatable accuracy you require.

I'd recommend something like the WFT (Little Crow Gun Works) for speed and precision but I can't see it working with a straight walled case.

The LE Wilson trimmer (http://lewilson.com/products.html) is still the standard by which I measure all other trimmers in terms of precision and they do a straight walled case holder as well. The process isn't as quick as the WFT though. The micrometer adjustment is handy but not essential. The trick would be to adapt something similar to the Forester tool onto a LE Wilson threaded handle or power adaptor. It still amazes me that the LE Wilson design that spins the tool still gets better precision than any of the trimmers that follow the lathe principal and spin the workpiece instead. Maybe that's why LE Wilson doesn't do a 3-1 trimmer tool?
    I've contacted them, we'll see what happens.
    Bill

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by just bill View Post
    I've contacted them, we'll see what happens.
    Bill
    Well I got my answer, nothing at this time. The custom works is overwhelmed, cannot help. If any one is familiar with the 3-way cutter, please contact me.
    Thanks
    Bill

Boolit Master

I've had some pretty sad conversations with some of the big names in the industry and was really disappointed in their attention to customer service. First of all they do not provide support for the .458 SOCOM. So when I asked for some information to adapt existing accessories to use for the .458 they are very reluctant to help. I asked why the support was so lacking, they are just to backed up. So I come to the community here and ask" has any one thought about modifying either RCBS 1 in 3 or Forsters 3 way cutter for other calipers over .375"?
    This is my situation, the jackets take a .40 pilot with a .458 case od. Do I modify a 50 cal cutting head to fit one of the all in one's or modify a .40 pilot to fit the one of the all in one cutters. Of course there is always adding 3 extra steps to each case processed.
    Thanks
    Bill

I've just been looking at the Lee Precision series Quick Trim cutters and the both Deluxe Quick Trim and Power adapter trimmer seem to come with effectively a 3-way cutter system. As to how the system performs, I haven't heard any reports.

They do a 45/70 Government Quick Trim Die which you might be able to modify (grind/reamer/polish) to 458 SOCOM. Alternatively they don't look particularly complicated if you wanted to have a Quick Trim Die duplicated from 7/8-14 die blank for 458 SOCOM.

Maybe a set-up like they have with the Deluxe Power Quick Trim mounted in a press under a full drill press or a cordless drill/dremel type drill press holder?
    Be careful what you aim for, you might hit it! Antipodean Industrial - Home of the G7L projecitles

Boolit Master

Thanks, I'll look into it a little further. It is funny I was just reading about the same troubles with the big boys in 2012, maybe earlier, they just don't want to step out of the box. I really don't relish the idea of spending $60.00 on an experiment, but then again the amount I have tied up in the SOCOM and swaging stuff, how did master card say it, oh yah " priceless".
    Bill

Boolit Master

Found it, bought it.

Quote Originally Posted by just bill View Post
    Found it, bought it.
    Post a pic if you get the chance. Did you get something off-the-shelf?

Boolit Master

It was custom made, however if you send me your email address I will try to figure out how to get the pictures for the email l got.
    Bill

Boolit Master

Check GRUMPA's stickies for pictures, definitely not off the shelf.
    Bill

In Remembrance
    This might help...

Click to see what I'm doing and have available, this takes you to the VS (Vendor Sponsor) section of the site. Currently..25Rem,30Rem, 32Rem, 35Rem, 257Roberts, 358Win, 338Fed, 357 Herrett, 30 Herrett, 401 Winchester, 300Sav, 221 Fireball, 260Rem, 222Rem, 250 Savage, 8mm Mauser (AKA 8x57), 25-20WCF

Annealing Services

http://castboolits.gunloads.com/foru...php?117-Grumpa