Lee PrecisionMidSouth Shooters SupplyTitan ReloadingWideners
RepackboxInline FabricationReloading EverythingSnyders Jerky
Load Data RotoMetals2
Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst 123456

Thread: How do you FIT a boolit or design it for a lever action with a deep throat?

Banned

bestest boolit catcher ever..........snow.
    I know it's in short supply there.

Boolit Grand Master

Yeah I read about that. Unfortunately, the only predictable snow around here is in those little snow cone stands that are on every corner, and those people have no appreciation for science!
    LOL!
    Precision in the wrong place is only a placebo.

Great thread!

FWIW, I had Accurate Tom cut a mold for my old .338WinMag. While not a lever gun, Winchester spec'ed another one of their giant funnel shaped throats and with ~4k rounds through it, there's a lot of space in front of the case neck. Tom's seminal suggestion was "any lead not in contact with steel is a detriment". So, we ended up with a bullet diameter of 0.345" and a "bore riding" nose that filled as much of the throat as possible (AM#34-230B). (Tom also suggested .348 gaschecks - he's smart!)

The question was poised early in this thread about how big a bullet can be forced into a certain barrel? I don't know the ultimate answer but the only significant problem running 0.007" oversized in this rifle is that load development is BORING. Practically everything shoots as well as j-wonks.

We're definitely interested in the results you get with your turned and fitted slugs!!

BTW, where is that sticky regarding what Accurate Mold did you design....

can anyone give me info on buying conical bullits for a 1858 Remington without any fitting problems please?

Banned

those don't work like that.
    they have a hollow base that bumps up..
    wait.. what kind of 58 Remington are we talking about?

Boolit Grand Master
    The kind made in 58, by Remington.....

I was thinking an 1858 Remington revolver but I could be wrong.
    You will learn far more at the casting, loading, and shooting bench than you ever will at a computer bench.

Banned

I was thinking rifle/musket...whatever, then remembered the revolver.

Boolit Grand Master

I'm thinking a cap'n'ball revolver. They did shoot conicals on occasion. However, I have never used them nor seen them for sale. I grew up on an 1861 confederate navy brass frame, but I only ever shot round balls in it. I've never run across anybody selling swaged bullets nor molds that provide a HB.
    However, Lee makes a mold that casts a plain base bullet.
    Gotta be a HB?
    Precision in the wrong place is only a placebo.

Boolit Bub
    Why not a hollow based bullet that can open and center better in the wicked un-throat? Couple that with a bullet full diameter as close to the lands as possible.....very short ogive-nose.

What about having the rifle re-barreled with a proper chamber? What about the same barrel rebored to a larger caliber and rechambered with a proper chamber?

I suspect the throat may be like it is to accomodate blackpowder. That or for ease of chambering-feeding in the lever action.

Jacketed bullets may fire much better in the rifle as it is.

Unheard of ??........why not ream the lands where they begin with a slight funnel with no lands till the bullet is centered in the bore? You know......funnel the bullet to the center and then the lands begin.

A reamer would need to be made to pilot on what is already in there but the cost shouldn't be too high if a tool and die maker could be found that could under stand what you were wanting. Thast would make fer a longer "jump" but jumps aren't all bad. Some gas would get by till the bullet centered in the bore as the funnel tightened on it and centered it.

The barrel could be re-sleeved or lined with a sleeve the same caliber and a proper chamber put to it. Older barrels get relined all the time.

Banned

I remember someone making a 44 cal hollow base mold. [lyman?]
    I even thought about buying one I seen once.

in this case I'd check with buffalo bore and see what they have to offer.

Boolit Bub
    An old cowboy and a injun sat by the fire racking their brains on how to help the horse with a camels hump and two broken legs. After a few hours of thunkin on it and emptying a coupla bottles of whiskey they got up from the fire and shot the horse in the head before they turned in and went to sleep.

Anywhoooo......when gas expands it gives equal pressure in all directions. The bullet not mechanically fit to the chamber may well be staying somewhat supported in the loose places by the gas pressure. At least for a milla second while it's at that position.

I got my brothers Rossi lever carbine shootin danged well by using soft lead bullets pushed in the range of 2/3rds from min. towards max. from the load book. Wasn't a long range target gun but could wack a ground hog at 100-150 paces well enough.

I learned from my own experience that sometimes the solution to a problem is so simple it can be over looked.

Back in the day I'd imagine the bullets were pure lead. The buffalo hunters liked the softest lead they could get because it mushroomed some. Maybe a pure lead bullet at the possible velosity and pressure would obsturate where it could and swag into the rifling the best it could and slump some to end up with a base parallel to the centerline of the bore and sorta reform to shoot well enough by not yawing much. Yawing causes the bullets to corkscrew thru the air and that's an open group but if the soft lead bullet can form itself better from a chamber that was originally made fer blackpowder and the fouling it has then maybe the yaw is minimized and the rifles can shoot accuratly enough for their purpose.

I'dbe a thunkin...if the chamber can't work because it's made wrong according to all the basic known facts then it makes no sense to try to make a bullet that's wrong to match the wrong chamber and hope to come out with two wrongs that make a "right". I'd use the rifle as is with sammi spec ammo and if it didn't do well enough I'd rebarrel or sleeve the barrel or trade it fer a bolt action rifle.

I should add that the lever action with the way the cartridge is shoved into the chamber the funnel to the chamber without a normal throat is probably the best way to get reliable feeding. Just like the military chambers of full auto weapons have a generous chamber. Reliable feeding.

That said I'd be thunkin that a sammi spec. 44 bullet would work well enough so a special mould /bullet isn't needed fer the lever rifle. Just the realization that if used within it's limits the rifle will do well enough with the chamber it has.
    Last edited by Enyaw; 08-07-2014 at 11:04 AM.

Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst 123456