Load DataMidSouth Shooters SupplyRotoMetals2Inline Fabrication
Reloading EverythingRepackboxWidenersLee Precision
Snyders Jerky Titan Reloading
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: First time for everything I guess

Boolit Buddy

First time for everything I guess

Was putting together a 6MM BRX AR-15 build for a long range rifle class that I want to take this fall. Was also hoping to use the rifle for a Hog hunt in October as well. I ordered a lower reciever and got the call it was in. This is where it goes south.

I filled out the 4473 like always, listed my SSN etc. Never had any issues with getting the "proceed". Never been in trouble with the law etc. I pay my bills on time and go to work everyday to support the millions on welfare.

Guy came and found me in the shop to tell me that the purchase was put on hold. A NICS supervisor reviewed my information and determined they needed to investigate me further. FFl told me I can come back in a week and if they have't sent a denial I can take the lower with me. He asked me a pile of questions basically trying to find out if I was lying on the form etc. Told me the last guy that was denied had warrants out for his arrest. Of course this got me pretty upset. Basically told me I had committed a felony.

I walked in as a law abiding citizen and walk out looking over my shoulder waiting for the FBI to come and arrest me. In researching the next steps I can apeal etc but I find nothing about what to do between now and getting cleared.

Should I transfer my firearms to an FFL or a Family member while this goes on? Basically they are telling me that for whatever reason I am not allowed to posess a firearm. I don't want to get in trouble any more than I already apear to be in. Was going to go talk to the Chief of Police in my town this afternoon to see if he could find out what they are looking at.

My credit union pulled up my credit history and nothing was on there that was out of ordinary.

Didn't get much sleep last night and dont want to wait a week with this hanging over my head.

Boolit Master

I would not worry to much about it. There are several data bases that they check on the NICS and if one of them is off line you will get a delay. Did you put your SSN on the 4473 it's not mandatory but if not you will normally get a delay. If your name is someone with the same name that may have gotten in trouble you will get a delay until they sort out who's who hence the SSN may help in that. I know folks that have TS clearances and sometimes they get a delay. I'd check back in a couple of days and see if it comes back. Forgot how many days that if they do not respond it would be a go ahead seems like 3 to 5 days or so.

gmsharps

Banned

Someone else with your same name probably has a warrant or is a felon and they are making sure you are who you are. This happens all the time.

Boolit Buddy
    I did list my SS# on the form. The FFL dealer kept telling me that the SS# drives it down to just you so I must have something going on etc. I live a pretty simple life and stay out of trouble. Only got sent to the principles office once while in school=)

Wish I was one of those people who could let things slide and not worry. I have never been delayed or denied a purchase and I own a fair amount of firearms. Last purchase was in October last year and everything went fine. This has really thrown me for a loop. Was horibly embarrassing to have happen. FFL was looking at me like I was a virus.

Boolit Buddy
    The FFL must not be that experienced if he's never seen that happen to a law abiding citizen before; I know a LOT of people who have had a pending status on a purchase, but got their firearms anyway, after they delay. Some blamed it on the FFL they were buying from, but that's rarely the case. It's usually a similar name/same name, or even a similar SSN that triggers some flag. It's like the "Do Not Fly" list; if you share anything in common with someone on that list, you have a chance of being thoroughly investigated.
    "Indeed the safest road to Hell is the gradual one--the gentle slope, soft underfoot, without sudden turnings, without milestones, without signposts.." - C.S. Lewis, The Screwtape Letters

Boolit Buddy
    I've seen an officer in uniform get a delay or Condituonal. Fun shop owner same thing. Sometimes it happens. I've bought 10 or more guns in the last two years and u still get nervous even though there is nothing to find.
    Two wrongs don't make a right, but three lefts do. metalworker, woodworker, mechanic, restorer and 200.00 stamp collector

Betcha a dollar they entered your SSN in wrong.

Boolit Buddy
    Hope it is something stupid but at the same time I want to know what the cause for this is. I am just glad that I found this out with a $100 lower instead of the $175 SBR lower I almost got. Would have been out my $200 transfer tax. But I need/want to know because I do want to build an SBR but not if I am going to loose my $ and not get the lower.

Boolit Master
    The same thing has happened to me several times, though my guy doing the xfer sure didn't act like your guy did. Every time it was due to my address, SSN or some other info being entered wrong.
    In the previous state I lived in, for whatever reason, I would get delayed EVERY time. The ffl couldn't give me a reason, nor was one ever offered. I always just went back after 3 days and completed the transaction. Within 2 months of moving to where I'm at currently, I purchased a revolver. I was super surprised when I wasn't delayed.
    I wouldn't worry if I were you, let them play their games and waste their time with your delay---if you know you are good to go they will come to the same conclusion sooner than later.

Moderator Emeritus

Mr. Sharps, I would not worry too much....having been in L.E. for over 35 years what I believe happened is there is a person of interest with the exact same name or a name so close that they, L.E., have to sort it out....I've been out of L.E. for a little over 2 years....it is the typical govt screw up..... This happened quigte often when an officer/deputy stops a motorist or while at a call they check and individual and a "sound a like" comes back and they bring them in to sort it out.....I dont believe that you will be bothered.....IMHO
    When guns are outlawed only criminals and the government will have them and at that time I will see very little difference in either!

"Within the covers of the Bible are the answers for all the problems man faces." President Ronald Reagan

"We must reject the idea that every time a law's broken, society is guilty rather than the law breaker. It is time to restore the American precept that each individual is acoutable for his actions." Presdent Ronald Reagan

In Remembrance
    Your dealing with govt agencies, why would you worry if you haven't been in any trouble. They will eventually get it sorted out.

Boolit Buddy
    I know several people that have had this happen. As others have already said don't worry about it. It would appear that it is time to find another ffl though. Doesn't sound like someone I would want to give my hard earned money to.

Moderator Emeritus

Happened to me twice(My name is rather common), both times my gun dealer asked me who I pissed off in government this time? He knows I am very active in second amendment stuff and in getting Obama impeached. Sure I am probably on a no fly list by now considering I have publicly stated Obama needs to be impeached, then a trial for treason, then a firing squad!

Boolit Grand Master

Happens fairly often and in your case it won't amount to anything. NICS is a good reason for having a CHL here in TX, they don't even have to submit it. Since you buy guns regularly I'm betting it was a data entry error. Your FFL sounds like an idiot, he doesn't have any business playing detective and should know better.
    Endowment Life Member NRA, Life Member TSRA, Member WACA, NRA Whittington Center, BBHC
    Smokeless powder is a passing fad! -Steve Garbe
    I hate rude behavior in a man. I won't tolerate it. -Woodrow F. Call, Lonesome Dove
    Some of my favorite recipes start out with a handful of depleted counterbalance devices.

Boolit Buddy
    Dont sweat it .. i get delayed every time . But the only differance is i know why.
    I have an outlaw relative with the same name who has domestic violence convictions and who knows what else

Boolit Master
    First off, CALM DOWN. This does happen occasionally to good people.

The Gun club I'm a member of has FFL's that the members can buy from. One member, has the same name as a bad guy. HE'S not the bad guy, but he gets delayed EVERY TIME.

I was personally in the office when our FFL was calling in his NICS, and yes, he was delayed again......he said the 4th time in a row.

It was kind of a running joke between the FFl and him. He always gets his gun.

If your FFL has never had this happen, well, he must not do many checks.

And if he got on your case about it, I would find a different FFL.
    NRA life member

LB

Boolit Buddy

I've been denied 15 times over the last 3 years.. Always was cleared for purchase within 2 to 3 days... I finally had a lawyer go and sit down with the local ATF office and they got things corrected... My last gun purchase a month ago went through with no wait, no denial or delay... The local GS that I buy mostly from knew things were screwed up when it came to me, I was in LE for 38 years and never had a problem buying firearms until I retired..
    Viet Nam 11/66 to 3/68

Never been delayed until the last two purchases. Said prob somebody with the same name. One lasted 3 days the other two. Don't sweat it. By what you say you just got a delay. That's all.
    just puttin' along

CWME,

I can certainly understand how this experience would make you feel uneasy. After all, you know you are clean so why don't the Feds? Given the current repressive Executive Branch of our government it fuels the uneasy feeling. It seems like many others have had the same difficulties but things worked out without incident. I would not worry too much at this point. I know that is a bit easier to say than do. I pray the Lord Jesus that he will grant you peace in this matter.
    NRA Life Member

U. S. Navy (Ret)

"For whosoever shall call upon the name of the Lord shall be saved"

Quote Originally Posted by CWME View Post
    He asked me a pile of questions basically trying to find out if I was lying on the form etc. Told me the last guy that was denied had warrants out for his arrest. Of course this got me pretty upset. Basically told me I had committed a felony.
    I'd find another FFL to do business with.
    Delays seem to be the order of the day with this current regime.
    I read somewhere that each delay is recorded as a governmental register of firearms.
    True or not, F&F proves wrong doing.
    Just remember, a delay or hold isn't the same as a denial of transfer.
    It's really common these days. Keep us posted. Find another FFL to do business with.
    "Everyone has a plan, until they get punched in the face!" - Mike Tyson

"Don't let my fears become yours." - Me, talking to my children

That look on your face, when you shift into 6th gear, but it's not there.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast