WidenersRepackboxReloading EverythingRotoMetals2
Lee PrecisionInline FabricationSnyders JerkyMidSouth Shooters Supply
Load Data Titan Reloading
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Can we discuss primers?

Banned

Is the Win LP standard seem to be more powerful than the other makes standard primer?

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by tomme boy View Post
    Is the Win LP standard seem to be more powerful than the other makes standard primer?
    If it is marked standard or mag, yes a little more. it is a great primer. If you want to use it in the .44 it is a better choice then a full mag.

I load .357, .44 and 10mm and .308 never used mag primers, not necessary for my load and powder combos
    μολών λαβέ

Boolit Bub
    Started reloading for my RSB .44 mag thirty years ago. As i remember, my Speer reloading manual recomended magnum primers even for powders like Unique,Herco,Blue Dot and of course for the slow burners 2400 and 296/H-110. My testing showed mag primers would give higher ES, higher pressure, not higher velocites, in fact with some loads, it was lower! The most important though, the standard primer gave better accuracy all over. I must admit, my experience with H-110 is limited, i prefer 2400 and Vihtavuori N-110. I don't shoot much when it is really cold, so it may be something there, but for my shooting, I see no use for mag primers in the .44 mag. Others might have different experiences.

Boolit Grand Master In Remembrance
    Joe, primers are powder dependent. Just look at the manufacturers data and your answer for which type of primer will be there. Also, if you have reloading manuals in your library, same answers. If you don't have any manuals - Buy Them!
    Regards
    John

I do have a couple of manuals and I do know which loads call for a magnum primer. They do not give an explaination, so I thought a discussion on here would be interesting and helpful. Joe

Boolit Grand Master

After all the "discussion" (and no answers to my hi-jack question), I'm gonna keep using the primers I have been using for nearly 30 years, just as blissfully ignorant as before these three pages...
    My Anchor is holding fast!

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	ImageUploadedByTapatalk1411508089.041093.jpg 
Views:	13 
Size:	322.1 KB 
ID:	117166so I finally did a comparison today between mag primers and std primers. I'm pleased with the results of the std primers. Yes, I know that mag primers were not needed for this powder/load

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123