Inline FabricationLoad DataMidSouth Shooters SupplyRotoMetals2
RepackboxTitan ReloadingReloading EverythingLee Precision
Wideners

Thread: Which Furnace

Boolit Buddy

Which Furnace

Hi all,

Well, after paying the price of bullets from several companies that cast them for ya, I've decided the way to go is doin it myself. Those companies are good mind ya, just I'm thinking I can do it as good and I'll save some money.

Now, I've got some lead on the way from Rotometals (Lyman #2 alloy). Now, I've gotta decide on a furnace. I've narrowed it down to the as yet vaporware Lyman Mag 25, RCBS Pro Melt, or Lee 4.

I know I can buy a bunch of the Lee 4's for the price or either of the other 2, but read all the threads on using PIDs to make it better, and so on and so forth. Kinda jaded my opinion.

So, if your rich uncle just died an left you a pot of cash, which would you buy and why?

I must say my reloading equipment so for has all been RCBS since it just works (I seem to have read that in the post on the RCBS Pro Melt on these here forums!). But that Lyman has a rather neat feature inasmuch as that shelf just for the dies to heat up. Maybe a gimmick as no one has one yet.

Casting for the 45-70 for now. 405 to 500 Grain boolits. Gonna use the Lyman 4500 sizer.

Thanks for helping me get my head around this.

So much lead, so little time....

Boolit Master

Pro Melt!

One and done.
    "When you can't make them see the light, make them feel the heat." - Ronald Reagan

Boolit Master

Pro Melt and a low dollar solid topped hot plate to warm yer molds.

David
    Sometimes life taps you on the shoulder and reminds you it's a one way street. Jim Morris

Boolit Buddy

I ladle cast 500 grain minie' balls and swear by the Waage pot. About $147, made in NJ.

Boolit Grand Master
    So, if your rich uncle just died an left you a pot of cash, which would you buy and why?
    Promelt. It is better quality than the Lee and works better for me.

With that said, I did not buy my Promelt new. The only electric casting pot I bought new was the Lee 4-20, and I have cast thousands of boolits with it; without resorting to making a PID.

Robert

Boolit Buddy
    Nobody left me any cash but I did save my lunch money and bought a RCBS Pro Melt (yep, it was a lot of lunches -- Ha!). After having struggled with some of the less expensive brands, I could not he happier. I'd definitely buy another one.

Le Loup Solitaire
    I have been using the same Pro-Melt since 1978. Never had an issue of any kind. My ladle pot is a Saeco Model 34 which is no longer made, but the Waage has earned a good reputation in the non bottom pour ladle category. Go the extra $$ if you can and don't get lured into the lesser quality pots. RCBS also comes with a lifetime no BS guarantee. LLS

RCBS Promelt is trouble free and reliable.

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by Jim_P View Post
    Hi all,

Well, after paying the price of bullets from several companies that cast them for ya, I've decided the way to go is doin it myself. Those companies are good mind ya, just I'm thinking I can do it as good and I'll save some money.

Now, I've got some lead on the way from Rotometals (Lyman #2 alloy). Now, I've gotta decide on a furnace. I've narrowed it down to the as yet vaporware Lyman Mag 25, RCBS Pro Melt, or Lee 4.

I know I can buy a bunch of the Lee 4's for the price or either of the other 2, but read all the threads on using PIDs to make it better, and so on and so forth. Kinda jaded my opinion.

I must say my reloading equipment so for has all been RCBS since it just works (I seem to have read that in the post on the RCBS Pro Melt on these here forums!). But that Lyman has a rather neat feature inasmuch as that shelf just for the dies to heat up. Maybe a gimmick as no one has one yet.

Casting for the 45-70 for now. 405 to 500 Grain boolits. Gonna use the Lyman 4500 sizer.

Thanks for helping me get my head around this.

So much lead, so little time....

RCBS!

In general RCBS makes better stuff than Lyman - and yes, I own a lot of Lyman "stuff".

That said, I own and use the Lee because my uncle died around 1970 and he didn't leave me a cent.
    First reload: .22 Hornet. 1956.
    More at: http://reloadingtips.com/

"Any man who thinks he can be happy and prosperous by letting the
    government take care of him better take a closer look at the American Indian."
    - Henry Ford

Boolit Master
    I like my Pro Melt with my Waage sitting next to it so I can dip molten lead into the Pro Melt without cooling the pot. If you just can't afford the Pro Melt get the 20 pound Lee and it will work reasonably well but if you are in this for the long haul, save your money and do it right the first time.

My uncle would have loved to see my two ProMelts. I know I do. I had issues with both and rcbs made it right at no charge. Not a problem since.

Don't hold your breath waiting for the Lyman. If money is no object, then the Pro-Melt. I have both, and I've modified the Lee to make it more like the RCBS' handle system (it works much better now). In my opinion, the Lee, as is, is adequate, but the RCBS is SO much better. The RCBS works pretty well without having to resort to a PID.

Boolit Buddy
    Gentlemen, Thanks you all for the comments. Seems unanimous!

Jim

Just got into the casting not long ago and I bought a Lee 20-4. I've had some growing pains with it but after a little tweaking here and there,it has turned out to be a nice pot for me.So nice that I could not justify the cost of a greater pot.The jump in price to the next greater pot is quite substantial.I am not having any issues to complain about with my Lee 20-4 right now.It's all good.Would I like a Pro melt,you bet I would,but for all the casting that I will ever do,the Lee works good so for me,I can not justify the cost to move up.There is a valid point when refering to RCBS and their warrenty and rightfully so but I have found that with the issues that I had with the Lee at first took less time for me to figure out and fix then it does to box up and send back.
    Last edited by Static line; 08-03-2014 at 04:22 AM.