Inline FabricationLee PrecisionSnyders JerkyWideners
Titan ReloadingReloading EverythingRepackboxRotoMetals2
Load Data MidSouth Shooters Supply

Thread: Apeture for Winchester 94

Boolit Buddy

Apeture for Winchester 94

I recently dug out my old Winchester 94 in 30-30. It's been years since I shot it. Man, my eyes aren't what they used to be. I had a hard time focusing on the front sight. I'm thinking an aperture sight may help. Does anyone have any experience with the repro Lyman No. 2 sight? I read one article that made it sound kinda flimsy. I'm also hesitant to put a nice brand new shiny sight on an old worn rifle with a certain amount of patina. Perhaps I could find an old original? Then there's the matter of either having to remove the old rear sight or install a new taller blade on the front. The tang has already been drilled and tapped. Don't know if this was factory or not. I understand Winchester did do that on some rifles from the factory. This one was made in 1929.

I also saw a rear leaf sight with an aperture rather than a notch. That would be an easy swap, but would not look 'period correct' either. I'm not really sure what I want to do.

I am open to suggestions.

Thanks,

Milrifle

Boolit Grand Master

Could be factory, will defer to the experts on that. I like my new Marble tang sight, looks OK on a well-worn Winchester. Shooting buddy had a couple of older Lyman #2's that looked new, he considered "antiqueing" them a bit before installing them on a couple of older guns but he hasn't yet. I don't mind the contrast of new bluing next to patina and I keep a sight blank or two in my parts box, just put the original sight in the bag and label it.
    Endowment Life Member NRA, Life Member TSRA, Member WACA, NRA Whittington Center, BBHC
    Smokeless powder is a passing fad! -Steve Garbe
    I hate rude behavior in a man. I won't tolerate it. -Woodrow F. Call, Lonesome Dove
    Some of my favorite recipes start out with a handful of depleted counterbalance devices.

Boolit Master

I've found a few esoteric shooting items on Amazon.com from time to time. There's usually a good selection of sights and with a proper search query, you might find what you are looking for.

By the way, good idea to use an aperture sight to help out those ageing eyes. My favorites are receiver mounted sights. While not as "period looking" as a tang sight, they offer precise adjustment for elevation and deflection. Add a Merrit adjustable iris and you should be good to go.
    Last edited by Scharfschuetze; 07-24-2014 at 02:37 PM.
    Keep your powder dry,

Scharf

Boolit Buddy
    I have a Williams Receiver Sight on my 94. Mine is the "Target" model with knobs and dials, etc. Yesterday I went to the range to try out a light 30-30 load. At 50 yards I'd aim at the left target and hit the right one! Then try it again and hit the one I was aiming at. Then high, then low. My first conclusion was that I had a bad load.

So, I put some of the "standard" loads through the rifle - the same shotgun-like pattern! Something wasn't right.

After Unloading the last of the lighter bullets I noticed the receiver sight move. It had come lose - well, that 'splanes the shotgun pattern.
    Took it home, clean it, cleaned the mounting holes and re-locktighted both the mounting screws and the mounting holes. Now I get to start over.

I just send my Marbles back to the factory because the elevation barrel was loose, now remounting my Williams. Lesson learned - wiggling sights don't work well.

M

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by TXGunNut View Post
    Could be factory, will defer to the experts on that. I like my new Marble tang sight, looks OK on a well-worn Winchester. Shooting buddy had a couple of older Lyman #2's that looked new, he considered "antiqueing" them a bit before installing them on a couple of older guns but he hasn't yet. I don't mind the contrast of new bluing next to patina and I keep a sight blank or two in my parts box, just put the original sight in the bag and label it.
    I put one on my M-92. I really like it. It is a little pricy. If your left side is drilled and tapped the Williams would be less expensive.
    First reload: .22 Hornet. 1956.
    More at: http://reloadingtips.com/

"Any man who thinks he can be happy and prosperous by letting the
    government take care of him better take a closer look at the American Indian."
    - Henry Ford

Boolit Master
    How 'period correct' does it need to be and how much do you plan to spend? Skinner makes a good, simple aperture sight for the '94, cost about $80.
    Warning: I know Judo. If you force me to prove it I'll shoot you.

Quote Originally Posted by milrifle View Post

I recently dug out my old Winchester 94 in 30-30.

I had a hard time focusing on the front sight. I'm thinking an aperture sight may help. An aperture (peep) sight will definitely help.

Does anyone have any experience with the repro Lyman No. 2 sight? I read one article that made it sound kinda flimsy. The Lyman #2 is far from flimsy.

I'm also hesitant to put a nice brand new shiny sight on an old worn rifle with a certain amount of patina. Perhaps I could find an old original?
    A new tang peep sight can be artifically aged to match the rifle's patina.

There's the matter of either having to remove the old rear sight or install a new taller blade on the front.
    It's usually best, for a clean sight picture through the aperture sight, to remove (tap out) the old rear bbl open sight, and either replace it with a slot filler blank (bought or made from the dovetail section of an old longleaf rear sight), or exchange it for a folding rear bbl sight, so the rifle can be set up with dual zeroes (open sights = short.50yd zero, tang peep sight for a longer ( 125yd) zero - neither of which would require a new/different front sight blade, unless you wanted one of a different bead type )Gold, Ivory, finer-optic, etc).

The tang has already been drilled and tapped. Don't know if this was factory or not. I understand Winchester did do that on some rifles from the factory. This one was made in 1929.
    Your Winchester should have a factory-drilled/tapped hole (one hole) in the top tang for a tang peep sight base screw (standard from 1894 to around SN 1,350,000).

I am open to suggestions.
    I hope that will help you.

FWIW, I would prefer to not alter the rifle (D/T) for the attachment of a receiver peep sight.

Regarding tang peep sights:

The Lyman is a set-n-forget sight, easily elevation-adjustable, but windage-adjustable only via shimming one side or the other of the tang sight base.

The Marbles has an elevation adjustment similar to Lyman's, but addittionally has a "click" windage adjustment (but not easily repeatable) - and cost 2x as much as a Lyman.

All peep sights, whether tang peep sights or receiver peep sights, have a removeable aperture - so the aperture can be easily changed to a smaller/larger one, or completely removed for shooting while using the aperture holder as a "ghost ring" peep sight.

I am in my 70's, but nontheless have long (25+ years) found that a fiber-optic front sight bead is a wonderful asset for any game (not target) shooting, except in bright snow-lit conditions.

Last edited by pietro; 07-25-2014 at 01:32 PM.

Boolit Buddy

Thanks a lot, Guys. I think I may try the Lyman. I would prefer the Marbles, but I could buy 1000 primers for the difference in cost. There's a gun show coming up in a couple of weeks. I'll see what I can find there. If no luck, I'll order from Midsouth. They are out right now anyway.

Boolit Master
    Another thing that can be done is to have both the tang and the buckhorn sight on a 94. I have a 1940 vintage 94 that came to me with a Marbles tang sight and the factory buckhorn. I zero the buckhorn @75 yards, and the Marbles @150. Don't think I'd ever take shots much past 150yards deer hunting with this rifle anyway. My eyes are old as well and the buckhorn is clear enough to @100 and the aperture helps with longer ranges. Just takes your thumb to flip up the tang sight when needed, otherwise folded against down. Something to consider. Lyman makes a good sight, but without a windage adjustment is a pain. Pay a little more for one now and only curse the cost once.
    Chris

Quote Originally Posted by milrifle View Post

I think I may try the Lyman. I would prefer the Marbles, but I could buy 1000 primers for the difference in cost. There's a gun show coming up in a couple of weeks. I'll see what I can find there. If no luck, I'll order from Midsouth. They are out right now anyway.

Both Lyman & Marble's Outdoors have sold tang peep sights directly to me, at the same price Midway, MidSouth & Brownell's quote - and there's no waiting.

Quote Originally Posted by pietro View Post
    All peep sights, whether tang peep sights or receiver peep sights, have a removeable aperture ...
    Very few things are "always" or "never," and not all aperture sights have removable discs. Over the years I have seen dozens of sights that had fixed apertures. The XS Sights rear sight is an example. There are many others.

Take care, Tom

Boolit Grand Master

I have a Trapper that I seldom shoot and don't wish to invest in a receiver sight for it. Under close scrutiny it looks a little odd but it doesn't disturb the lines of this pretty little rifle. A receiver or tang sight works better but for my presbyopic eyes this is a big improvement over the semi-buckhorn without changing the looks much.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Trappers 002.jpg 
Views:	11 
Size:	53.8 KB 
ID:	111735
    Endowment Life Member NRA, Life Member TSRA, Member WACA, NRA Whittington Center, BBHC
    I hate rude behavior in a man. I won't tolerate it. -Woodrow F. Call, Lonesome Dove
    Some of my favorite recipes start out with a handful of depleted counterbalance devices.

Boolit Master

For a reasonably priced tang go here.http://www.taurususa.com/accessories-tangsight.cfm The one for the Model 63 has the longest elevation stem and I can use it to 200 yds on my 92 with 1200 fps loads. Has windage and elevation and IME repeatable. The first 3 on the list are all the same and have a shorter elevation stem.
    "Masculine republics give way to feminine democracies, and feminine democracies give way to tyrannies.” Aristotle

Milrifle: you need to go to Ebay which is the source for older period correct aperture sights which would be right for your gun. Scharfshooters rifle shown above has a Redfield sight which is a good choice. Another one is a Lyman 66A. Do be careful on Ebay as you will see today a 66A is the first one that will come up, however it is a new aluminum one and not an older all steel model which is more desirable. Expect to pay between $100 and 150 for one of these sights. If you see one for $70 it is probably a new one. Sometimes you can get bargains (if everybody is asleep!)

These sights are the most accurate method of sighting a vintage rifle unless you want to install a scope. I personally don't care for the tang mounted post style sights as they just stick up in the way and are begging to get knocked off. They are not nearly as precise as a receiver mounted sight. When you make a small adjustment on a quality receiver sight it actually moves the POI that much. Others have issues. Lyman and Redfield pretty had the best and were the standard until Williams came along and offered a much less expensive alternative. Unfortunately they are also less accurate. They are fine in a "set it and leave it" situation however the other brands can be moved to suit a particular load or distance and then go back to the original setting and actually repeat the POI again and again.

You will have to be patient if you want to do this right. Maybe you have a local gun shop near you that has some older sights still in the back. This would truly be a big score to find a NIB Lyman or Redfield Receiver sight! When you sold the gun you would dismount the sight and sell it separately and get all your money back and more. The gun itself won't be worth one cent more with the receiver sight mounted. just keep the open sight to remount when you are done.

Randy
    "It's not how well you do what you know how to do,,,It's how well you do what you DON'T know how to do!"
    www.buchananprecisionmachine.com

Boolit Buddy

I went with plan C, at least for the time being. I ordered a Marbles Bulls eye sight to replace the rear leaf sight that is on the rifle. It won't help with sight radius, but I think the aperture will help me focus on the front blade. It was only $16, so I decided what the heck. I'll give it a try. I may still get a tang sight down the road, especially if I can find a vintage one with some patina to it. While I am sure the receiver sights are a good sight, I couldn't bring myself to drill any holes that aren't already in it.

I also ordered the Lee 170 gr FN mould. I already have the 150, but thought I would try the 170 and see how it does.

Boolit Grand Master

I like the Marbles BE sight, I'm a little averse to drilling holes myself. Nice thing about a tang sight is that it actually takes only one screw to secure it well enough to see if it will work for you, and the hole for that screw is already there. I've considered a bit of silicone sealer to make a certain one-screw mount semi-permanent. If it doesn't work out I have a drill press and I know a good gunsmith, will cross that bridge when I come to it.

Boolit Buddy
    [QUOTE=fecmech;2869791]For a reasonably priced tang go here.http://www.taurususa.com/accessories-tangsight.cfm
    The problem is - they don't seem to be delivering them. In another discussion a poster told of ordering this sight n the "winter" and he has not received it yet - not has his check been cashed. Might be the Rossi parts problem issue.

M

Boolit Master

The problem is - they don't seem to be delivering them. In another discussion a poster told of ordering this sight n the "winter" and he has not received it yet - not has his check been cashed. Might be the Rossi parts problem issue.
    Sorry but I thought they had that sorted out by now. It is a nice sight, shame they are unavailable.
    "Masculine republics give way to feminine democracies, and feminine democracies give way to tyrannies.” Aristotle