WidenersTitan ReloadingInline FabricationSnyders Jerky
Reloading EverythingRepackboxLoad DataRotoMetals2
Lee Precision MidSouth Shooters Supply

Thread: Just bought my father a new Henry and wanted to see what ammo is best

Boolit Mold

Just bought my father a new Henry and wanted to see what ammo is best

Last month in August I bought my father a brand new Color Case Hardened Henry .45-70 Side Gate. I had a few questions about ammo and a scope. Because the rifle is .45-70 should I buy him a rifle scope or a muzzleloader/shotgun scope. Just asking since .45 Gov isnt a fast mover. Secondly, what ammo is best. I was going to load up some .45-70 with my brass and .459" 405gr bullets I use in my Remington-Lee and Martini. Would .459" work for a Henry ? I contacted Henry and only got back a reply that stated that factory ammunition is preferred to be used in their rifles. I guess for legal reasons ? I know my Siamese Mauser Navy Arms runs a .459" no issues while my grandfather's NEF Pardner liked a .457". I was also looking at factory ammo. What is better in one of these Henry rifles the Remington 405gr or the Hornady Leverlution ? Those are what are in stock at my local gun shop. Thanks to all who reply.

I like Henry Rifles, and especially like their motto: Made in America, or not made at all. I think .45-70 was a great choice. But, as for ammo choice, I think most any commercial ammo will do fine, be it Hornady or Remington. Naturally, they'll shoot a little differntly as to point of impact, so I'd experiment a bit, find one that performed very well and stick with it. When it comes down to reloads, assuming cast boolits, there's just no substitute for slugging the bore and basing your boolit selection on that information. Great choice!

DG

Boolit Master
    Get some creosafe ( spelling ) brownells sells it and do a chamber and barrel cast, then you will know ?? If you can; load your own and find out what is accurate ? I use pure lead at .460 in mine; 360 gr flat nose; Lee molds... Either scope will work, ascetic's may bring you to which scope looks best on it ?

Boolit Master
    The Henry will probably shoot well with most loads. Definitely not with Ruger #1 loads. To start there a lot of cowboy action lead bullet loads being sold now, those should be pleasant to shoot.
    As for a scope, I’d elect for a good set of receiver sight (peep sights) unless his eyes can’t use iron sights. I think your choice of Henry is fantastic!
    U.S.A. " RIDE FOR THE BRAND OR LEAVE!"

I'd keep the speed down in the low-ish teens, or more nearly full house Black Powder speeds.
    Sure- It'll handle modern loads,
    but you might have a hard time figuring out which end is more dangerous than the other.
    In school: We learn lessons, and are given tests.
    In life: We are given tests, and learn lessons.

OK People. Enough of this idle chit-chat.
    This ain't your Grandma's sewing circle.
    EVERYONE!
    Back to your oars. The Captain wants to waterski.

Boolit Master
    The question is does he like recoil? If he has no issue with that then load that 405 grain to around 1200 FPS. But honestly I would go with lighter and shorter Boolit design with a big wide flat nose. Say 300-325 grain and load that over some Unique to around 1200 FPS. That load will take out whitetail and even Elk and know this because I shot several with that load from and handgun chambered in 45-70. Those big WFN GC are short enough to work through a Henry lever gun. A WFN is curate and takes game cleanly without need for expansion they drive deep and with moderate loads are easy on the gun and the shooter. Get a good 2-7 power scope the scope should be as good and as expensive as the rifle. Nice gift for your father that’s really cool.

Boolit Master
    Winger Ed. Is quite correct, your shoulder may holler STOP before the Henry does
    I’m sure your Father will enjoy that nice rifle!
    U.S.A. " RIDE FOR THE BRAND OR LEAVE!"