RotoMetals2Reloading EverythingMidSouth Shooters SupplyTitan Reloading
WidenersRepackboxLoad DataInline Fabrication
Lee Precision
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Can the Henry Big Boy handle the Ruger only 45 colt loads?

Can the Henry Big Boy handle the Ruger only 45 colt loads?

I was wondering if the Henry Big Boy rifle in 45 colt can handle the loads listed for the Ruger blackhawk?
    They build a 44 mag version of it so it seems possible.
    I checked the Henry site but couldn't find anything.

Boolit Grand Master
    I checked the Henry site but couldn't find anything.

If Henry had anything positive to say about reloads in their firearms, they are the only manufacturer that does.

Best not mention to a manufacturer that you are using reloaded ammo.

Ben

Boolit Master
    I wondered this myself however with the Henrys, due to their design, need short nosed boolits to create a shorter COAL for the rifle to cycle properly. This was my concern and why I chose to go with a 92 action as they are more forgiving to a longer COAL and better suited me and my current mold selection I already used for my Ruger Bisley BH 45 Colt/Ruger SRH 454 Casull.

Boolit Grand Master In Remembrance
    Ruger Blackhawk loading data ... http://rugerforum.net/reloading/3517...olt-loads.html
    Call Henry and ask them - after all, they manufacture the rifle
    Regards
    John

There is a separate listing for 45 colt---ruger, freedon amrms, and tc on the hodgdon powder data site. Obviously the named pistols can handle the higher charges or the powder manufacturer would not be comfortable listing such loads.
    My only concern is can the rifle handle the pressure. Since the rifle is also chambered in 44mag I would assume it could handle heavier charges in 45 colt. The problem is I can't seem to find anyone who has experience with this.

Boolit Grand Master
    out of here, wandering somewhere in the SW.
    Most arms makers do NOT like reloads (especially cast!) for liability concerns. Go figure. 34K+ of us on here would argue that point!

My 92 style carbines shoot anything I stuff in them! Long, short, crimped any/all ways, etc. No problems. Don't have any Henry actions.

banger

I just emailed Henry about the issue. I wonder what kind of response I will get.

I wouldn't refer to the loads as "Ruger only" when talking to a firearms manufacturer. I would, however, ask them if the gun could handle the Buffalo Bore loads since they are a high pressure manufactured load. If they say yes, then load your own, but don't pass the Buffalo Bore pressures. They are getting 1325 fps from a 325 gr. LBT so there is some kind of high pressure going on there.

My dos-centavos

Boolit Master
    huntrick64:
    That's a good idea on skating around the reload issue by asking about manufactured 45+p loads however my thought is good luck getting one of those WFN/LFN LBT's to cycle through this action.

Boolit Master
    Just ask if the rifle will handle a steady diet of Buffalo Bore ammo.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by DeanWinchester View Post
    Just ask if the rifle will handle a steady diet of Buffalo Bore ammo.
    Bingo

Banner Sponsor

If they make the same rifle in 44 mag, then I would think that it should handle the Ruger only loads.

Here is the response I got from Henry

Thank you for owning a Henry rifle.

I do not have any information on what loads are specific to other manufacturers' firearms.

In general, for Big Boys chambered for either .44 Magnum or .45LC, you can use any reputable brand of the standard and +P factory loads, with standard profile bullets (round-nose, flat-nose, and hollow-point), up to maximum projectile weight of 260-grains, and which conforms to SAAMI specs.

Regards,

Jeffrey Post
    Customer Service

It sounds like to me he wants to avoid the question.

Here is a response from Henry from another web site.

" Thank you for your interest in Henry. The rate of twist is 1:38. This does not matter for the larger rounds as our Big boy rifles are not made to be able to safely or properly feed rounds with bullet weights over 270 gr. Our Big Boy's can handle all the +P pressure out there even Big Buffalo Bore ammunition as long as the rounds are not to big (over 270 gr.) to feed through the action."

Boolit Master
    Can't blame the guy. People get sued for farting in the same room nowadays. It's ridiculous.

He told you it'd handle any reputable +P factory loads and Buffalo Bore is a very reputable and very much +P loads. I'd look into Buffalo Bore factory offerings and use those as my maximums.
    They offer a 325g boolits @ 1,325 fps; 225g jacketed HP @ 1500 fps; 260g JHP @ 1450fps and a 300g jacketed flat nose @ 1325 fps

Honestly, if you need more than that, you should buy more gun.

I am trying to add an extra 50 yards of range to the basic loads available from the local stores. I hadn't looked at the Buffalo Bore ammunition.
    Those numbers are impressive and should do exactly what I was wanting.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by tazman View Post
    I am trying to add an extra 50 yards of range to the basic loads available from the local stores. I hadn't looked at the Buffalo Bore ammunition.
    Those numbers are impressive and should do exactly what I was wanting.

If what you were wanting was to decimate the target AND YOUR WALLET, Buffalo Bore can do that for you.

Banned

I have one of the older, pre-safety Rossi 92s in .45 Colt. I never have tried anything exceeding Colt data in it. Even in my Blackhawks, they get unpleasant to shoot before I've exceeded Colt data and I kinda wonder if I'd ever need more pistol than that anyway.

A 325 bullet at 1325 FPS sounds like it would thrash a guy.

Vendor Sponsor

Well, there is no +P for .45 Colt, not officially anyway. People equate the +P pressure rating with what Ruger says is safe in their medium frame revolvers like the New Model Flattop and the latest and greatest Vaquero, this would be 23,000psi. Since the charge hole dimensions and the web between charge holes is the same thickness for the .45 ACP as it is for the .45 Colt, then it is commonly "assumed" and accepted that the .45 Colt cylinder is indeed safe with the same pressure ceiling as the .45 ACP cylinder.

Buffalo Bore does load .45 Colt ammo that will be safe in the New Model medium frame Rugers, but they also load .45 Colt ammo that is NOT SAFE in these medium frame guns, and is only safe in the full sized large frame Vaquero, Blackhawk, Super Blackhawk, Redhawk, and Super Redhawk models. Be sure of what you are ordering when you order from Buffalo Bore or when you use a comparative boolit that they use.

It is my understanding that the Big Boy in .45 Colt is indeed safe with Ruger Only pressures under the 30,000psi ceiling, as it is safe with .44 Magnum pressures which have a 36,000psi ceiling. Both have ample metal thickness to withstand max loads in their respective chamberings.

Edit: OP if you want to add 50yds to the range of the Big Boy, use a different caliber such as something down in the .35 or .375 caliber range, heavy boolits in the .45 Colt are 100yard boolits and that's about it. These are hard hitting brush guns that are best used with 100yd shots about max. Not to say that if you get a good one and you carefully work up your handloads for it that you can't take deer and or bear at 150yds but many of the boolits that are extremely effective on large game at close range just aren't that accurate out past 100yds, the .45 Colt is one of those. Yes Elmer Keith took 600yd shots with the .44 Magnum, and had they made .45 Colt chambered guns stout enough back then, I have no doubt that he wouldn't have blinked an eye about stretching the .45 out to the max as well and the .44 Magnum may not have ever been invented.
    Last edited by DougGuy; 07-23-2014 at 05:00 PM.
    Got a .22 .30 .32 .357 .38 .40 .41 .44 .45 .480 or .500 S&W cylinder that needs throats honed? 9mm, 10mm/40S&W, 45 ACP pistol barrel that won't "plunk" your handloads? 480 Ruger or 475 Linebaugh cylinder that needs the "step" reamed to 6° 30min chamfer? Click here to send me a PM You can also find me on Facebook Click Here.

Well I shoot the Ruger loads out of mine and do not have a problem.It will handle the Buffalo Bore ammo so I just keep it in the common sense area and not try to make a 454 out of it.

This is the kind of information I was hoping for. Thanks to all for responding.
    As side note, the Henry Big Boy is not mine, but my neighbor's. I am reloading for him and am trying to determine the limits of the weapon. He wants to take it deer hunting and may need to take shots out to 200 yards. Personally, I think that may be a bit far unless I load it up to +P velocities.
    Again, thanks for the responses.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast