Inline FabricationRotoMetals2WidenersMidSouth Shooters Supply
Lee PrecisionLoad DataReloading EverythingRepackbox
Titan Reloading
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Can the Henry Big Boy handle the Ruger only 45 colt loads?

Boolit Buddy

I picked up a Henry steel case hardened in 45-70. I called Henry and the guy stated that any load a Marlin 1895 will handle, the henry will also. He told me to stay away from 458 mag pressures.
    Ore'mus
    Flintlocks Rock!

I've got an H012 Big Boy Steel in 44 Mag and I shoot near max W296 loads all the time.
    I find it a really reasonable load.

Boolit Buddy
    I know this is an old thread, but I read a lot about coal restricting some from using heavy bullets in the Henry. Just want to say that my Henry Steel .45 colt loves and feeds flawlessly my cast Lee c452-300 boolits with a hefty load of both H110 and 2400.
    These rounds measure 1.630 when crimped in the first groove from the bottom of the bullet.

Boolit Master
    Not gonna get such an answer from a manufacturer. Way to much liability. They say yea, then someone tries 454 loads in one and it blows up, they will be looking for a lawyer.

Boolit Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by Seeker View Post
    I know this is an old thread, but I read a lot about coal restricting some from using heavy bullets in the Henry. Just want to say that my Henry Steel .45 colt loves and feeds flawlessly my cast Lee c452-300 boolits with a hefty load of both H110 and 2400.
    These rounds measure 1.630 when crimped in the first groove from the bottom of the bullet.
    Thanks for bringing this back to light. I was thinking of a 45lc Henry as the Rossi I have is nice but I just don't trust it for heavy loads with the 300gr boolits and I have a Lee mould of that weight. From my looking at Henry's, ok..caressing them at the lgs, I feel very confident that they are built to take about whatever you can much like a Blackhawk.
    I Am Descended From Men Who Would Not Be Ruled

Fiat Justitia, Ruat Caelum

Vendor Sponsor

Ok I have been wondering this myself, this is great news!

Years ago I was going to buy a companion caliber levergun, the more I read, the more problems and issues I discovered with the different brands and models, what will feed, what does not like to feed, this is only one side of the coin but it's a critical side.

The other side, would be the chamber and groove dimensions (which vary a LOT between mfgr's different models). It's obvious that there is a decent amount freebore in the throat, *IF* you are sizing to .452" so if it feeds the loads in the photo I am attaching, this will be my choice when it comes time to click the buy now..

I still have yet to make a levergun purchase, I am still learning of the many things to avoid! I learned more about leverguns just lurking than I would ever have learned by buying one and then jumping through the hoops necessary to get it to work well.
    Got a .22 .30 .32 .357 .38 .40 .41 .44 .45 .480 or .500 S&W cylinder that needs throats honed? 9mm, 10mm/40S&W, 45 ACP pistol barrel that won't "plunk" your handloads? 480 Ruger or 475 Linebaugh cylinder that needs the "step" reamed to 6° 30min chamfer? Click here to send me a PM You can also find me on Facebook Click Here.

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by DougGuy View Post
    Ok I have been wondering this myself, this is great news!

Years ago I was going to buy a companion caliber levergun, the more I read, the more problems and issues I discovered with the different brands and models, what will feed, what does not like to feed, this is only one side of the coin but it's a critical side.

The other side, would be the chamber and groove dimensions (which vary a LOT between mfgr's different models). It's obvious that there is a decent amount freebore in the throat, *IF* you are sizing to .452" so if it feeds the loads in the photo I am attaching, this will be my choice when it comes time to click the buy now..

I still have yet to make a levergun purchase, I am still learning of the many things to avoid! I learned more about leverguns just lurking than I would ever have learned by buying one and then jumping through the hoops necessary to get it to work well.

Those are indeed the ones. I tl mine in 60/40 2x. I shoot them in my Henry and my NM Blackhawk sized to .452, coal 1.630

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	CF1XghA.jpg 
Views:	33 
Size:	49.0 KB 
ID:	236670
    Last edited by Seeker; 02-23-2019 at 06:07 PM.

Boolit Master
    I have loaded a 270 grain WFN on top of good dose of WW296 for years the gun will handle anything the 44 mag version will. I am using a longer bullet so deeper seating and run 22 grains of 296 with that 270 grain gas checked boolit. Hits like hammer is very accurate. Great rifles that Henry makes I have one if their Original rifles for mild loads that is an absolutely hoot to shoot and play around with. That rifle is only mild loads. But the Big Boy brass can take some heavy loaded 45 colt. Yes I segregate them so no mistakes can be made and I color code the rounds so they are not mixed up.

Banned
    I see there is a new model out that is all plated for anti rust. Available in 45, 44 and 357. Not cheap but great truck gun for sure !

Boolit Master

My three 45COLT Marlins will not feed this bullet, until I seat UNDER 1.600!

This is seated to your OAL (Works well in my BLK Hawks) But will not in three different Marlins.

CW
    NRA Life member • REMEMBER, FREEDOM IS NOT FREE its being paid for in BLOOD.
    Come visit my RUMBLE & uTube page's !!

https://www.RUMBLE.com/user/Cwlongshot
    https://youtube.com/channel/UCBOIIvlk30qD5a7xVLfmyfw

Boolit Master
    The "if it will handle a 44M, it will handle any 45LC load" has a problem. The problem is barrel wall thickness. Just look at the muzzles of Marlin 1894 rifles chambered for 357M, 44M, and 45LC. Pick each of them up and notice the difference in weight. Even the Marlin 1895 won't handle the same peak pressures in 45-70 as in 444M. The outside of the barrels is the same so the hole in the receiver is the same. But there is a difference in what's left if the hole is .452" instead of .429", so the total amount of steel is different. You're not comparing a 45 to a 44, you're comparing a 45 to a 43.

Boolit Mold
    I contacted Henry before i bought the Henry Big Boy X in 45 colt.
    They told me that rifle can handle + P loads all day long, but.....
    Using leads over 250 grains may have to be loaded single shot.
    The action may not cycle the longer leads.
    Yes.... Mine handles Underwoods 250 gr.+P ammo with no troubles.... 😁😁😁👍👍

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by tazman View Post
    Here is the response I got from Henry

Thank you for owning a Henry rifle.

I do not have any information on what loads are specific to other manufacturers' firearms.

In general, for Big Boys chambered for either .44 Magnum or .45LC, you can use any reputable brand of the standard and +P factory loads, with standard profile bullets (round-nose, flat-nose, and hollow-point), up to maximum projectile weight of 260-grains, and which conforms to SAAMI specs.

Regards,

Jeffrey Post
    Customer Service

It sounds like to me he wants to avoid the question.

Here is a response from Henry from another web site.

" Thank you for your interest in Henry. The rate of twist is 1:38. This does not matter for the larger rounds as our Big boy rifles are not made to be able to safely or properly feed rounds with bullet weights over 270 gr. Our Big Boy's can handle all the +P pressure out there even Big Buffalo Bore ammunition as long as the rounds are not to big (over 270 gr.) to feed through the action."
    I reckon thats a better response than you would get from most manufacturers !
    He's tellin ya
    1)it will take the +P pressure
    2) twistrate is too slow for boolits over 270grain (they wont feed anyhow)

want more oomph? buy a 45/70

I have a Henry BB Steel in 45 Colt and it has a 1 - 16 twist I have personally measured it.
    When I bought it new around 2016 the 44 mag BB had a 1-38 twist , don’t know if they still are or if that has changed.
    Jedman

Boolit Master
    This is an old thread I know, however Buffalo Bore often states what firearms are suitable for their ammo & they offer heavy loads.
    Last edited by Frank V; 07-10-2023 at 01:32 PM.
    U.S.A. " RIDE FOR THE BRAND OR LEAVE!"

Moderator Emeritus

Quote Originally Posted by Jedman View Post
    I have a Henry BB Steel in 45 Colt and it has a 1 - 16 twist I have personally measured it.
    When I bought it new around 2016 the 44 mag BB had a 1-38 twist , don’t know if they still are or if that has changed.
    Jedman
    When Henry came out with the single shot guns, they made those with 44 mag barrel with twist rate of 1-20. At some point after that, Henry [quietly] switched all there 44 mag guns to 1-20 twist. I believe that was about 3 years ago, there is at least one thread here about it.
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    “If someone has a gun and is trying to kill you, it would be reasonable to shoot back with your own gun.”
    ― The Dalai Lama, Seattle Times, May 2001

Boolit Mold
    I bought the Henry Big Boy x after i talked to them.
    They said the big boy versions can handle any factory + P ammo.
    Including Buffalo Bore, and Underwood.
    But they may not cycle ammo over 265 grain.
    As far as higher powered reloads????
    I'm not a reloader so didn't ask on those.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123