Load DataWidenersMidSouth Shooters SupplySnyders Jerky
Inline FabricationRotoMetals2Reloading EverythingRepackbox
Titan Reloading Lee Precision
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: AR-15 ejection problem

Boolit Mold

AR-15 ejection problem

I just put together my first AR-15 and fired it. Shoots fine but won't eject the brass. Nothing wrong with the extractor. It even pulls off a piece of the brass trying to eject it. I have to run a cleaning rod down the barrel to get it out. When I cycle the rounds through without firing, it works fine. But when the round is fired it doesn't want to come out. Using Winchester 223., 53 grain. Hope someone can tell me what's wrong.

Boolit Grand Master

What style of Ar? first check to insure gas port in barrel is lined up with front sight or gas block, then that gas tubes hole is lined up in gas block. gas tube needs to be free and centered in key on bolt carrier. Also check to make sure gas rings are in good shape and cuts arnt lined up.These are where issues come from on fresh new rifles. Also make sure the gas tubes plug is tight and sealed. Also make sure key on top of bolt carrier is tight and sealed. Does it try to eject a fired round? Is the bolt short cucling and putting the round back into the chamber? Also may be a rough chamber holding the brass when fired?

Banned

Rings lined up will still work. It will run with one ring. Did you put the gas block on? Take it off and make sure the barrel is drilled. If it is, make sure to align it. Before you put the barrel onto the upper receiver, blow threw the gas tube to make sure it is aligned.

Boolit Buddy
    I'm not clear on your ammo. Is it reloaded using the Win .223 53 gr bullet, or are they factory rounds? If reloaded, the brass may need trimming. Is the chamber 5.56 Nato or .223 commercial? Check it out they are slightly diff.
    Per chance are you single loading the round directly into the chamber, or stripping out of the magazine? I had exactly the same thing happen to me when new to the platform and tried to load individual rounds into the chamber. When extracting it would pull a big hunk out of the rim and leave the brass in the chamber. Good luck, Dog

Boolit Master
    Hi,
    Problems with a new build are the worse as the rifle hasn't worked as a unit at all yet. Probably something simple as the AR platform is simple yet works very well and why it is so popular! You would be ahead of the game to go back through the build step by step and see what you can find. A good book for this is shown here and comes in handy to make sure everything is done as you build!
    “If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace.
    We ask not your counsels or arms.
    Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you.
    May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that ye were our countrymen.” -Samuel Adams
    Janet Reno, killed more children at Waco, with Bill Clinton's permission, than Adam Lanza killed, at Sandy Hook.

Boolit Mold
    Thanks guys! I will try to check out every one of your suggestions. Mucho gracias.

Sounds like you might be overgassed, trying to extract before pressure drops.
    If you are not the lead dog, the scenery never changes

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by pkie44 View Post
    Sounds like you might be overgassed, trying to extract before pressure drops.
    Having had similar problems with my AR-10, I'm going to second this idea. I tried several ways to deal with this problem, including turning the case necks, and installing a heavy buffer. The solution I finally adopted for all my ARs is the SLR Rifleworks Sentry series adjustable gas block. It has at least two advantages over other, also good, blocks: It adjusts from the front so you can adjust it even if the block is under the handguard; and it uses the gas tube that's already on the AR. Other gas blocks require you to buy a straight tube.

https://www.slrrifleworks.com/

Good luck,
    Richard

Boolit Master
    Hi,
    Well....Adjustable gas tubes aren't really in the picture on a 5.56 AR-15/M16. That is not in the blue prints so to speak! On a .308 AR it's how ever you want to roll as there are no blueprints! Just saying the rifle should WORK if put together correctly with in spec parts!

Just sayin better to get the basic system running as it was concieved before running off in "custom" ways or parts!
    “If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace.
    May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that ye were our countrymen.” -Samuel Adams
    Janet Reno, killed more children at Waco, with Bill Clinton's permission, than Adam Lanza killed, at Sandy Hook.

Boolit Master
    Did you lube it? Clean it too? I know it sounds silly, but believe it or not I have had the same problem pop up at the range with guys bringing their new build, and trying to run it dry. When breaking in a rifle there is no problem with a liberal dose of CLP to get the bones from creaking. I run em wet, and they keep on going past 1000 rounds between cleaning sometimes without a hickup.
    Extractor may have something in the channel is sits in. Take a good look at your bolt, and how it functions. Burs can cause that.
    Edit: Nevermind, sounds like the extractor is working fine.

Does the bolt cycle, and try to ram another round up into the chamber where the fired case is? If so it sounds like a chamber problem. Too tight, not clean, rough, or out of spec ammo would be culprits. A fired case expands to the chamber walls, and that is why it would cycle unfired, but not after firing.
    Last edited by xacex; 07-24-2014 at 01:33 PM.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by seagiant View Post
    Hi,
    Problems with a new build are the worse as the rifle hasn't worked as a unit at all yet. Probably something simple as the AR platform is simple yet works very well and why it is so popular! You would be ahead of the game to go back through the build step by step and see what you can find. A good book for this is shown here and comes in handy to make sure everything is done as you build!
    Best book around on the simple subject of building, and troubleshooting right there! I always recommend a copy to family and friends that want to DIY.

Darn! I thought that was a digital copy of the book!

Boolit Mold
    Thanks. I'll lube it and try again. Yeah, it tries to ram the next round in there.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by seagiant View Post
    Hi,
    Just sayin better to get the basic system running as it was concieved before running off in "custom" ways or parts!
    If it *is* an overgassing problem, then the probability of having to swap out a part or two is pretty high. Krieger, for instance, drills the gas port in their AR barrels before shipping. This is not an option, and I suspect they do it to make sure the hole is in a groove and not through a land. This hole may be larger than it needs to be. An adjustable gas block is not what I'd call customizing the rifle.

This is particularly true if you attach a suppressor, which significantly increases the back pressure. It's very handy to be able to set your gas block to the current conditions. Since I run a suppressor on my AR-15s and my AR-10, the adjustable block does what I need.

Aside from replacing parts, the only other way *of which I know* to reduce the gas pressure is to carefully peen the hole in the barrel to restrict the flow. I opted for the adjustable gas block.

All that said, if it *isn't* an overgassing problem, then the recommendations to clean, check for burrs, and lube heavily are right on the money. I run my ARs quite "wet."

Another thing to check is the chamber. If it's rough, it will need to be polished. This is a relatively simple procedure that is covered in detail in other posts on the Internet.

Richard

Boolit Grand Master

When I did my AR10 Krieger drilled the holes undersized so I could rem them out. One upper is 22-250 1-7 twist. No available data there. The hole he drilled would pull the case out almost half way. The other upper is a fast twist 243. One other plus to the adjustable gas blocks is you can tune the rifle to what you want with the best load. I have also noticed group sizes cange slightly with adjustments at 600 yds and farther.

Boolit Master
    Hi,
    Fellas,if it is an overgas problem (which I doubt) then the OP has a defective barrel and needs to replace it!!! The M-16/AR-15 has NEVER needed an adjustable gas block to run with 5.56/223 ammo AS DESIGNED by Eugene Stoner!

No mention has been made by the OP on who made his bolt and barrel? Most are made fairly well as you don't see alot of people with problems with these rifles even the ones made on a "budget" as the rifle runs and runs well! Even the Germans at Heckler and Kock, dropped the "roller bolt" system in their world famous rifles and switched to the M-16 type "rotary bolt" system for their new G-36 battle rifle!

My build used a Daniel Defense bolt and barrel and although they are known to know how to make very good parts, I still bought the guages to check headspace on the build. Many assume that is set at the factory and it is, but should always be checked! Has the headspace been checked? This could also be a reason for problems ejecting and worse!

Boolit Buddy
    My bull barrel match chamber [DPMS] works fine with good ammo, but will not extract USA white box ammo like OP says his AR is doing. Ammo to chamber problem is my guess, my std barrel AR and mini 14's will fire almost any ammo.
    Shaune509

You know I didn't think of that, but 2 of my 3 .223s will not reliably chamber nickle coated ammo. I have to save those for the one that will.

Boolit Buddy
    Is it chambered for .223 Remington or 5.56?

Who are you asking Big Rack?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast