Lee PrecisionInline FabricationMidSouth Shooters SupplyTitan Reloading
Load DataRotoMetals2WidenersRepackbox
Reloading Everything

Thread: Primer storage question

Boolit Master

Primer storage question

Hey, all;
    I'm not sure if this is the correct place. If not, please move it.
    For years, I've been keeping my primers in a Cabelas (I think) "dry box", with one of the dehumidifier things in a metal box about the same size as a deck of playing cards. They are stored in my basement, which is about 72 degrees all year, but the humidity runs around 50%.

Instructions say when the crystals turn pink, time to recharge them by putting them in an oven at 300 degrees for 3 hours. I did that once, during the winter, and it seemed to work O.K.

My crystals have turned a yellowish color, and I put them on a hot rock in the sun all day in 99 degree temperature. I know 99 is nowhere near 300, but, no way am I going to fire up the oven for 3 hours. I figured a little might help, but...no change, crystals still yellow, is it time for a new dehumidifier?

Does it even matter, if I store the primers in the sealed water-repellent box?

Thanx

over the hill, out in the woods and far away
    I think your humidity in Utah is much less than we experience in the mid-Atlantic states. I just store my primers in manufacturer's packaging in a wooden cupboard with no dessicant and have for years withno trouble.

Boolit Master
    I have some Alcan primers that still work and all my primers are stored in just the original boxes in the basement in the Midwest and we are known for high humidity here. They are not a problem.

Quote Originally Posted by Old Caster View Post
    I have some Alcan primers that still work and all my primers are stored in just the original boxes in the basement in the Midwest and we are known for high humidity here. They are not a problem.
    I'll second the humidity!
    I pity the baker,
    I pity the nun

I pity the one
    Who tries to take my gun

Boolit Master
    O.K, guys; THAT's the info I was looking for! Appreciated very much!

Boolit Master

I've used about 10,000 primers that were stored for 20+ years in garages on the edge of Galveston Bay with no climate control. Zero failures!

David
    Sometimes life taps you on the shoulder and reminds you it's a one way street. Jim Morris

Boolit Buddy
    I am still using primers from the late 1980's that were stored in an outside workshop until a couple of years ago. They all still go bang.
    -William

"How air ye fixed fer meat, Del?" --John Johnson Crow Killer, The Saga of Liver-Eating Johnson

My Feedback: http://castboolits.gunloads.com/show...t=stonecrusher

Boolit Master
    I store mine in plano "dry" plastic ammo cans. Never had an issue in east texas and our humidity runs about 4000% here in august.

GoodOlBoy
    Yes I can be long winded. Yes I follow rabbit trails. Yes I admit when I am wrong. Your mileage may vary.

Keep your powder dry. Watch yer Top knot.

"Praise the Lord and pass the ammunition!"

Yes there were "Short" 45 Colts! http://www.leverguns.com/articles/taylor/45_short_colt.htm

Boolit Buddy

mine are stacked in a wooden cabinet, separated from the powder, but never have been protected from cold/heat/humidity...50 years and not a problem...some on hand are 20 years old and all still good...same for powder in tightly sealed original containers, never an issue.

Boolit Buddy
    The only way i am aware of to deactivate primers and powder is to imerse them in oil. Even if they become wet then dried out both will be useable.

Here in So. Cal. a man was arrested after he spread unwanted reloading powder on his lawn thinking it would be good fertilizer because of the nitrates. The lawn was watered several times before the lawn guy came by to mow it. A spark from the lawnmower set off the powder and there was a fire. Gawd, I couldn't beleive it.

Boolit Grand Master

No, your dehumidifier is fine. Silica gel does not wear out. It will last forever.

That said, I also store primers in the factory packaging on a shelf in my basement. I like to have a little buffer against shortages... No issues with primers that are sometimes decades old.
    ”We know they are lying, they know they are lying, they know we know they are lying, we know they know we know they are lying, yet they are still lying.” –Aleksandr Isayevich Solzhenitsyn

My Straight Shooters thread:
    http://castboolits.gunloads.com/show...raight-shooter

The Pewter Pictures and Hallmarks thread:
    http://castboolits.gunloads.com/show...-and-hallmarks

Boolit Master

Cool

Quote Originally Posted by GoodOlBoy View Post
    I store mine in plano "dry" plastic ammo cans. Never had an issue in east texas and our humidity runs about 4000% here in august. GoodOlBoy

Thanks, guys!

I have kept Primers for more years than I really want to post because I don't what to get into an argument over it. However if there kept in a climate controlled area like you've done. you will never have a problem. Where I live Humidity is really bad But we run Heat Pumps year round with Ac in summer and Heat in the winter but what makes a Heat Pump so good is it dries the air and it does this very well. I have never had a problem with Powder or Primers..
    ............(Lông Trắng)............
    (si vis pacem, para bellum)

I store mine in 50 cal can's.I keep 1000 on hand to play with

Quote Originally Posted by zuke View Post
    I store mine in 50 cal can's.I keep 1000 on hand to play with
    yep +1 50 cal military ammo cans. been storing primers for 45 years without any problems in storage building in south Ga high humidity.

Boolit Grand Master In Remembrance
    Does it even matter, if I store the primers in the sealed water-repellent box?
    Sniper, keep doing what your doing and they will out last you and a generation or so of your estate
    Regards
    John

Boolit Master
    I have Remington 7½ primers that I bought about 1970. They have had no special treatment and they still work fine.
    They were just stored on a shelf in the closet.
    EDG

I once wet tumbled in ceramic media with a heavy dose of Palmolive for at least 2 hours. There were a few live primed cases in the mix. I set them on my bench and dried them for a couple days then ran them thru my rifle out of curiosity. To my surprise they all went off.

Boolit Grand Master

I have Winchester primers in wooden trays, that the paper sleeve fell apart from damp storage. They still produce the expected velocity. I'm pretty sure they were made in the "50s, since I got them in the early "60s, already in that condition.