MidSouth Shooters SupplyInline FabricationTitan ReloadingSnyders Jerky
RepackboxReloading EverythingLee PrecisionWideners
RotoMetals2 Load Data

Thread: Colt 1860 Army High Speed Video

Boolit Master

Colt 1860 Army High Speed Video

Pretty neat. Author states about three milliseconds "delay" between cap explosion and powder ignition, but of course the powder must already be burning before you see smoke and flame coming out through the cylinder gap;

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=B4MfmTk_-wE

Boolit Master
    I agree he is off on the time. that powder is burning sooner then he thinks. it does show where chain fires come from. if a cap comes off any other nipple there is more then enough fire to set it off.

Moderator Emeritus

Im trying my best to keep from getting into BP revolvers, and you have to go and post this cool video! Tt.
    "Treetop"
    Sgt. USMC
    1968-71

"Accuracy has a suppressive power all by itself."
    Lt. Gen. George Flynn, USMC

“The Second Amendment was not written to protect your right to shoot deer.
    It was written to protect your right to shoot tyrants…”
    Judge Andrew Napolitano

Boolit Master
    Well it's getting some attention. It was at 301 views when I first posted it, and as of this moment it's at 1964.

Treetop; you WILL be assimilated.

bob; the jury (my jury at least) is still out on the cause(s) of crossfire. I've had caps fall off while shooting and never had it happen, and lots of other people have experienced the same thing. There is a fairly exhaustive article on the subject on line, wherein the author claims to have positively identified the cause, to the point where he can cause a chain fire, or prevent it, at will. According to him it is a path of crushed powder between the chamber wall and the lead, and that it can be completely avoided by what he calls "clean loading" whether or not a wad or over-the-ball grease is used. My hypothesis is that although this may be true, hard as it may be to believe, it is exacerbated by flaws (poor finish machining or damage) at the chamber mouth, causing uneven sizing of the lead, or small grooves in the lead. The author claims he's never been able to get a crossfire by leaving a nipple un-capped.

I've never had a crossfire, in firing on the order of a thousand rounds (at a wild guess). Maybe I should try to cause one, testing that guys findings.

Boolit Master
    I've had two cross/chainfires, two different revolvers, both while shooting .380 balls cast in a damaged mold that produced irregular shaped roundballs.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Treetop View Post
    Im trying my best to keep from getting into BP revolvers, and you have to go and post this cool video! Tt.
    What! are you anti American? Not shooting bp revolver's? What is this world coming to? You have NO idea the amount of fun you are missing! I mean the fun involved when you explain to the wife why there is a black ring in the kitchen sink is worth it alone!

Did this help to persuade you?
    The rules of the range are simple at best, Should you venture in that habitat, Don't cuss a man's dog, be good to the cook, And don't mess with a cowboy's hat. ~ Baxter Black

Perma-Banned

It was a cool video. I agree you can not be American without only at least one cap n ball. Two would be better.

Boolit Master
    I,m more with Bob on the chain fire being caused in the cap side.I see both sides
    & it may come from both.But I have had two chain fires in my life.I use wads over
    my powder.So you be the judge.

Fly

Boolit Master
    Great Video.
    "Investment" is the new "Throw money at it!"

Detectives, and Cobras, and Agents!
    Oh my!

Banned

I have had 2 chain fires with 2 different revolvers and it only happened when I forgot lube or a wad under the ball. If it was a cap issue why wouldn't it happen more often and with any ball lube combination? Yesterday I fired 5 shots out of a 6 shot loaded cylinder. The one cylinder didn't fire because it wasn't capped. I had only brought 5 caps with me inadvertently. A shot was fired on either side of a loaded chamber but it didn't fire the uncapped chamber.

Perma-Banned
    a bit of a disappointment to me. was expectin' to see some razzle-dazzle pistol shootin'. it was interestin' I guess just not what I expected.

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by Fly View Post
    I,m more with Bob on the chain fire being caused in the cap side.I see both sides
    & it may come from both.But I have had two chain fires in my life.I use wads over
    my powder.So you be the judge.

Fly
    Fly try a wad as a second seal over your round ball I use a wool wad over powder then a second seal over the round ball works great and no worries yet also be sure your caps fit the nipple good
    Last edited by SSGOldfart; 07-24-2014 at 05:51 PM. Reason: fat finger
    I started out with nothing and I still have most of it left.
    Paralyzed Veterans of America

Looking for a Hensly &Gibbs #258 any thing from a two cavity to a 10cavityI found a new one from a member here