Snyders JerkyWidenersReloading EverythingRepackbox
MidSouth Shooters SupplyInline FabricationLee PrecisionLoad Data
Titan Reloading RotoMetals2

Thread: CBee 22

Boolit Master

CBee 22

Ok, before I get flamed, it was "free"
    Cabelas bucks bought a box of Remington "CBee 22" LR rimfire cartridges. Advertised "low noise" I don't know it if little powder or no powder, like the Aquila brands. But I bet it's minute of racoon at 10 yards. Says it won't run an auto. That's OK, I've got a Single 6.

Anybody else have any experience?
    Been paddlin' upstream all my life, don't see no reason to turn around now.

Boolit Master
    I've shot squirrels with Remington CB longs, sounds like a pellet gun but killed em dead. If you stand in the sun and shoot toward the shade of some trees you can see the bullet in flight.

over the hill, out in the woods and far away
    They are OK. If you are serious about low noise yard hunting, the CCI Quiet .22LR with 40 grain bullet at 720 fps is little louder, more accurate and effective.

Boolit Buddy
    I tried the CCI CBs on the trapline and they weren't enough for raccoons at point blank range.
    High speed 22 shorts work fine but for yotes I use long rifle solids.

Boolit Master

My grandson uses them in his Chipmunk,equivalent to a decent pellet rifle as far as ballistics!
    You can't buy common sense,and stupidity can't be fixed!

I really like the CB caps. I often use them when I am hunting deer or turkey, and I get a chance at a squirrel or rabbit at very close range. They're good enough for typical head shots at thirty feet, and they don't make enough noise to disturb the woods. I wouldn't want to carry them in my .22 if that happened to be the only gun I had on me because they lack power for general applications, but I rarely rely solely on a 22 pistol.

In a 6-inch barrel K-22 to my already damaged ears, they seem completely silenced, and they aren't much louder in a 4-inch gun. I don't know about their long range accuracy. I've made head shots on rabbits and squirrels as far as 50 feet with the CB caps; much further than that, and I don't trust myself to make head shots with my fading eyes in the dark winter woods. I wouldn't count on their killing power for a body shot at any range. Without the CB caps my meat diet most of the time is pretty much beef and venison. The CB caps give me a chance to vary my diet without blowing a chance at something more important.
    NRA Life Member

Boolit Master
    30 miles South of Cheyenne, unfortunately
    My experience with them has shown them to be have the accuracy of approximately minute of 5 gallon bucket at 10 paces. In other words HORRIBLE! However, as the saying goes, that is my experience in my guns. I do have one rifle that will shoot 3" or so at 10 meters (my air gun range) but that is the only one. I fired 10 shots at 25 yards with only 8 of the shots hitting the paper of the 10 bull NRA rimfire target from my CZ, which with Aguila Super Extra, will shoot 1/2" at 50 yards any time I do my part.
    When it's time to fight, you fight like you are the third monkey on the ramp to Noah's Ark.... and brother, it's STARTING TO RAIN!!

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by roysha View Post
    My experience with them has shown them to be have the accuracy of approximately minute of 5 gallon bucket at 10 paces. In other words HORRIBLE! However, as the saying goes, that is my experience in my guns. I do have one rifle that will shoot 3" or so at 10 meters (my air gun range) but that is the only one. I fired 10 shots at 25 yards with only 8 of the shots hitting the paper of the 10 bull NRA rimfire target from my CZ, which with Aguila Super Extra, will shoot 1/2" at 50 yards any time I do my part.
    Sounds like that terrific recoil is causing you to flinch
    First reload: .22 Hornet. 1956.
    More at: http://reloadingtips.com/

"Any man who thinks he can be happy and prosperous by letting the
    government take care of him better take a closer look at the American Indian."
    - Henry Ford

In Remembrance

I use them to kill rats at 25 - 30 yards. Accurrate out of my old Remington 41 Targetmaster.
    Tennessee Hunter Education Instructor

“The Constitution is not an instrument for the government to
    restrain the people; it is an instrument for the
    people to restrain the government-lest it come to
    dominate our lives and interests"
    Patrick Henry

Boolit Master

Several years ago I lived near a great place to squirrel hunt and on several outings I used the CCI CBs in my BL-22 to kill a number of squirrels. A couple required multiple shots, but that was due to poor hits. IIRC they grouped around an inch at 40 yards in that rifle, which I considered to be excellent accuracy.

over the hill, out in the woods and far away
    TESTS OF CCI 40-grain "Quiet .22 LR" 9 Feb 12

When first introduced these were $29.95 from Midway for a brick of 500. Chronograph and accuracy data follows:

High Standard Sentinel REVOLVER, with 4 inch barrel and 0.008 cylinder gap:

First shot fired in dirty, fouled training gun stuck in the barrel! Drove out stuck bullet easily. Cleaned, oiled, tried again.
    Point of impact 1 inch below sights at 7 yards. Avg. velocity 505 fps, lowest (which got out the barrel) was 372 fps, highest 628 fps, extreme spread of the 9 of 10 shots which actually exited the barrel was 256 fps, with a standard deviation of 87 fps. If using this load in a revolver be sure to start with a clean and lightly oiled bore.

9 Feb 2012 function fired 50 more rounds in High Standard revolver with no malfunctions.
    Bullet in bore appears rare occurance, but you need to be aware that in revolvers a loose cylinder gap interferes with being able to build enough pressure to acquire enough velocity to ensure reliable bore exit.

High Standard Model "B" semi-auto pistol with 6-7/8" barrel, typical of "survival ruck" guns we might use:

Point of impact 1 inch below sights at 7 yards. Avg. velocity 638 fps, 25 standard deviation, extreme spread of 10-shot string 82 fps. Does not eject empties or cycle action. Feeds smoothly when cycled manually. Quiet shooting indoors without earplugs, about as noisy as firing standard velocity .22LR in a rifle.
    Accuracy test at 25 yards, sandbagged, ten shots in 3-1/2" vs. 1-1/2" for CCI Blazer .22 LR HV.
    Accuracy test at 50 yards, sandbagged, ten shots in 6" vs. 2.5" for CCI Blazer.

Ruger M77/.22 bolt action, 20" barrel. Point of impact 5" below zero for Blazer HV at 50 yards.
    Avg. velocity 713 fps, 28 standard deviation, extreme spread of 10-shot string 114 fps
    Accuracy test from sandbags with 4x scope ten shots 1.8" at 50 yards, vs. 1.2" for Blazer HV
    Point of impact at 50 yards 5" below zero for CCI Blazer high velocity
    Accuracy test from sandbags with 4X scope ten shots 4.7" at 100 yards vs. 2 inches for Blazer HV
    Point of impact at 100 yards 18" below that of CCI Blazer when zeroed at 100 yards.

Remington Model 511 bolt-action .22 with 24" barrel:
    Shooting outdoors 50 yards at 6 inch pistol gong with open iron sights, hold bead at top of gong with open sights to hit. Avg. 688 fps, 48 Sd for 10-shot string, extreme spread 157 fps. Very quiet in rifle, like a CB Long.

OK, the BOTTOM LINE:

This is an affordable (2012 price $30 per brick of 500 rds) low noise, evader's or trapper's load for short range. While I'm not going to buy a case of 5000, these will replace CB Longs in my inventory. Each survival ruck containing a .22 firearm is going to get a box. Furthermore, each gun is going to be test-fired with a full box to assess its reliability, point of impact with existing zero, and accuracy at realistic small game foraging ranges from 25 to 50 feet. This load seems to do best in barrel lengths at least 6 inches. Velocities were erratic in revolvers and rifle barrels of 24 inches or longer which increase bore drag.

Comparison of velocity test data with other CCI .22 LR ammos:

Ammunition__________24" RIFLE_______6-7/8"PISTOL____4"REVOLVER___
    CCI Green Tag________1053, 6 Sd______931, 9Sd________801, 33Sd
    CCI Standard Velocity__1036, 17Sd______936, 16Sd_______868, 40Sd
    CCI SubsonicHP_______1058, 13Sd______978, 19Sd_______836, 26Sd
    CCI BlazerHV_________1264, 11Sd______1181, 20Sd______1085, 19Sd
    CCI MiniMagHP________1192, 26Sd______1104, 29Sd______947, 29Sd
    CCI VelocitorJHP_______1336, 12Sd______1177, 37Sd______1060, 66Sd

Boolit Master
    They shoot one hole for five shots at 5 meters in my shop with my new to me Savage model 10.

Tim
    Last edited by dtknowles; 07-27-2014 at 11:18 PM.
    Words are weapons sharper than knives - INXS

The pen is mightier than the sword - Edward Bulwer-Lytton

The tongue is mightier than the blade - Euripides

Boolit Master
    I use them to kill rabbits in the garden at 50-60 feet. Accurate enough to hit them in the head. Quiet enough so the neighbors never know.

Boolit Master
    I've shot the R-P C'Bees a fair amount. Are accurate but aren't (that much) quieter than standard velocity 22lr's. Have popped a few starlings with them and the they always leave a nice exit hole and the bullets bring feathers with them out the back side. Shoot them mainly out my Versa-pacs with 20" barrels. I'll stick to CCI CB Shorts for quietness.
    Last edited by 3leggedturtle; 07-29-2014 at 02:03 PM.

Boolit Master
    I misread the OP. I was thinking CCI CB longs not Remington. Never had any of the Remington type but the CCI CB longs I have shot are very quiet. The firing pin strike is louder than the report to the shooter. Might be a bit louder if you are in front of the barrel.

Tim
    Words are weapons sharper than knives - INXS

The pen is mightier than the sword - Edward Bulwer-Lytton

The tongue is mightier than the blade - Euripides

Boolit Grand Master
    Can't help here. Only used the CCI "mini caps" 22 short versions. Very accurate, and as said, the firing pin strike was the loudest part. Grandad used to shoot crows out of his pecan trees with the things. Bang/flop.

Like a powerful 22 pellet rifle, but quieter.

I used them in a "cheap" single action .22 to shoot at the bird feeder pole. At 35 feet you could see the bullet in flight. Pull the trigger - wait - then clink when you hit the pole. Seeing the bullet was the easiest way to "zero" that gun.

I shot a couple of boxes of CCI quiet and about 50 rds of CBees off hand at cans a few days ago out of a Winchester 62, a 62A and a model 67. They all performed the same - regular hits on cans at 50 meters (about 1 out of 3 hit ). I couldn't tell any difference in the noise between the two. I was expecting misfires from the Remington ammo, but didn't have any.

Boolit Buddy
    I use CB caps in an old Marlin pump every day. Very effective on garden pest. I never shoot much over 25 yards. Can't see any farther <G>!