Lee PrecisionMidSouth Shooters SupplyReloading EverythingInline Fabrication
Load DataTitan ReloadingRotoMetals2Repackbox
Wideners

Thread: Buffalo Horns

Buffalo Horns

Hi all,
    This is probably not the correct forum for this question but I honestly don't know where else to go.
    I was recently given a pair of buffalo horns from a bull my great-great uncle killed on the prairie in the late 1800's, no skull, just the sawed off horns. In pretty good shape and I want to keep them that way.
    Any thoughts on how best to preserve them?
    Thanks always.

Moderator Emeritus / Trusted loob groove dealer

Somers, Montana, a quaint little drinking village,with a severe hunting and fishing problem.
    I'm not sure it is the best thing, but I have always used bear oil on my horns. Lard would be similar. I always work on the theory to use natural oils on natural items, and petroleum based oils on metals.
    The solid soft lead bullet is undoubtably the best and most satisfactory expanding bullet that has ever been designed. It invariably mushrooms perfectly, and never breaks up. With the metal base that is essential for velocities of 2000 f.s. and upwards to protect the naked base, these metal-based soft lead bullets are splendid.
    John Taylor - "African Rifles and Cartridges"

Forget everything you know about loading jacketed bullets. This is a whole new ball game!

Boolit Master

If Bear Renderins do for horn what they do for leather then that is what ya need.

Not so easy to find but dang good stuff.
    Amendments
    The Second there to protect the First!

I suspect that short of a fire, or long exposure to outdoor weather that not much is going to effect those horns.

Polish them with oil, furniture wax, whatever. They'll be around a long time yet.

Boolit Master
    they do dry out, and then the bugs set to eating the heck out of them. I found some bear grease at a rendezvous somewhere, and it really helps them to last. I have a salt horn that I made in the 70s, and still use it today in the house, and on the road. it gets greased about once a year or so. I have a cow horn somewhere around here, that I did not get around to, and the bugs set to making it their home.
    The rules of the range are simple at best, Should you venture in that habitat, Don't cuss a man's dog, be good to the cook, And don't mess with a cowboy's hat. ~ Baxter Black

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by GhostHawk View Post
    I suspect that short of a fire, or long exposure to outdoor weather that not much is going to effect those horns.

Polish them with oil, furniture wax, whatever. They'll be around a long time yet.
    that about sums it up but remember mice love horns,not saying you have mice in the house just a heads-up
    I started out with nothing and I still have most of it left.
    Paralyzed Veterans of America

Looking for a Hensly &Gibbs #258 any thing from a two cavity to a 10cavityI found a new one from a member here

Fine advice from all, appreciate it. Now if I can find me some "bar" grease. I hear it comes mighty dear.
    thanks!

Boolit Grand Master bedbugbilly's Avatar
    Think of horns the as being the same as a cow or horse hoof - or even your own fingernails. They are "natural" and they will dry out over time. As suggested, using something "natural" on them is probably the best route. Or, you might even try a product that is available in a drug store that helps to keep your fingernails from cracking - only do it on a small portion of one of the horns to make sure it will work O.K. I wouldn't put anything on them that will "seal" them - as wax could very easily do. If they are open and sealed on the outside - they'll dry out over time from the inside.

On the leather work that I do (holsters, gun belts, etc.) I usually wet form the holsters - which will dry out the natural oils. Once done and whether dyed or not, I finish by using Extra Virgin Olive Oil to put natural oils back in to the leather. Lanolin is also a good possibility to use - I believe most of the products used to moisturize and keep finger nails, horse hooves, etc. from cracking has that in it.

It's nice that you have these pieces of "family history"! I've seen powder horns made out of them and they are a thing of beauty - different from a regular old cow horn and a great reminder of the "plains" and what once was!