MidSouth Shooters SupplyInline FabricationReloading EverythingRotoMetals2
RepackboxTitan ReloadingLoad DataLee Precision
Snyders Jerky Wideners

Thread: My toaster oven has died, is there a better choice ?

Boolit Buddy

My toaster oven has died, is there a better choice ?

Has anyone been using a regular kitchen range? Looking for something bigger.

In Remembrance - Super Moderator & Official Cast Boolits Sketch Artist

A fellow down the road from me is using range elements in a home made box like a big oven to bake his stuff in so a reg range should be fine I would think. I say it is the same as a toaster oven just bigger.
    Reloading to save money I am sure the saving is going to start soon

I just got a used toaster oven off Ebay for $10.

Boolit Buddy
    Well, I ran to Walmart early this morning. I have a 3-gun match this weekend, and I need bullets. I sprung for the $99 Oster with digital controls. So far, this has been great. Warms the bullets up rapidly, and according to my non contact thermometer, temp control is spot on. Very happy so far.

Boolit Grand Master
    out of here, wandering somewhere in the SW.
    You did right! Cheap is not always cheap.

banger

Boolit Master
    bought a Oster at Good Will for $5 and the temp is right and been using it for over a year
    Frank G.

Boolit Grand Master
    out of here, wandering somewhere in the SW.
    But when you need one......you need it! Sounds like he could not afford to hunt and peck around junk stores for something that might work....and probably does not. People give things away for a good reason! I throw things in the garbage when they do not work. Most people try to get a tax donation for it, even though it is it pure trash.

I too have stories of buying real nice stuff at junk stores for just a few dollars, but those stories are few and far between, and I did not need the stuff "right now" when I bought it.

I usually buy everything new anyway. I have been burned too many times and wasted far more than new would have cost on used electrical junk from stereo receivers to BluRay players to toaster ovens and cameras.

Just not worth it.

But good luck if you can find what you want..............when you want and need it! AND..........it actually works.

banger

You may want to take the cover off your toaster oven before you toss it. There may be an internal fuse. Then you've got two ovens...twice the production rate!

Boolit Buddy
    I will tear it apart before I junk it. The lower elements were working intermittently. The old one just had simple dials, and the temp control was not that precise. I think the new one already has me spoiled. I was happy to get it out of the house before my wife requisitioned it! She said to me this morning it was much nicer that what we have in the kitchen. I had an old heat treat oven before the toaster oven. The temp control stunk! Last time I used it I had 800 bullets coated and it got too hot and ruined the batch. I was sick.

Boolit Grand Master

Back in the woods a piece, just outside Auburn, AL.
    Wire that baby up straight and hook a PID to it!

KE4GWE - - - - - - Colt 1860, it just feels right.

Boolit Buddy
    Good idea!

Quote Originally Posted by Beagle333 View Post
    Wire that baby up straight and hook a PID to it!

Frozone unit! Blast from the past.
    "The urge to save humanity is almost always a false front for the urge to rule." --H. L. Menchen

Boolit Grand Master

I started with an old B&D that I stole from the kitchen, needed a new one in there anyway. I bought one from Goodwill for $10 and it worked great but had a resistance temp control. I then bought a digital oven for $4 from a thrift shop that someone had melted a plastic bag on but otherwise was about new. I built 2 pid units for the other ovens and now they work fine.

Doesn't hurt when you have time to fix your old oven if possible or buy another as a spare from a thrift store, etc.

Boolit Buddy
    If you want new and have an Aldi near you, they are selling connection ovens for like 30 bucks