WidenersLee PrecisionMidSouth Shooters SupplyRotoMetals2
Reloading EverythingTitan ReloadingSnyders JerkyInline Fabrication
Repackbox Load Data

Thread: casting temp?

Boolit Bub

casting temp?

I did my first cast a couple of weeks ago and after a couple of hours they came out looking great. My question is though at first i had the lead around 650-700 and the molds were not all that hot. After a while I turned the lead up to 750ish and dipped the corner of the lee mold into the lead for a bit and nice castings came out. Is the 750 range too hot? I was using lead ingots from a vendor here and all of the lead in the pot was liquid at around the 650 temp. thanks

Boolit Buddy
    Lee molds like it hotter

Boolit Grand Master
    It depends....your temp may be hot at first then as your mold cycles into action you may have to cool it down
    Hit em'hard
    hit em'often

I find that the right temp. will cause the lead on the spew plate to harden in 3 to 4 seconds.

Boolit Grand Master
    out of here, wandering somewhere in the SW.
    There are many built-in "common sense" temp indicators to use:

Lead frosts/hardens in about 3-4 seconds on your sprew

Sprew cuts VERY easy..no pounding or hammering!!!!!!

Boolits hiss and sizzle a lot when they hit the drop water

If all the above are watched, you can cast some pretty darned good boolits without the need of a PID controller on your pot or using casting thermometer.

I use a Lee 4-20 pot and always set the dial at 6.5.

Use a hotplate to pre-heat your mold to casting temp levels.....not just warm!

Also use same plate to pre-heat your feed ingots for your casting pot. Saves tons of time.

I have NEVER used a controller or a thermometer and cast perfect boolits......1st drop...every drop.

And do NOT use an IR temp gun.....they do NOT work on shiny surfaces.

bnagerjim

Boolit Bub
    thanks for the input, just wanted to check if what I was doing was right and not wasting time. I will be using the hotplate thing from now , I was amazed at how fast things cooled down by adding just a little room temp fresh lead to the pot thanks again

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by original View Post
    thanks for the input, just wanted to check if what I was doing was right and not wasting time. I will be using the hotplate thing from now , I was amazed at how fast things cooled down by adding just a little room temp fresh lead to the pot thanks again
    I use a electrical junction box with the side cut out and the metal lid screwed on and put it on my hot plate. It's sort of a mold oven to place the moulds in. On top of that I place some ingots to preheat to prevent my alloy temp from dropping so low when I add lead.
    "If you could kick the person in the pants responsible for most of your trouble, you wouldn't sit for a month."
    Theodore Roosevelt

Boolit Master

I usually run my pot between 650* to 700* it depends on each moulds preferences ! and preheat my moulds to about 450* before casting and wait about 7 to 10 seconds for the sprue to harden. if the sprue is not set up by then i use a small electric fan to cool down the sprues until there in the 7 to 10 second range.

With Lee moulds i have found i have to run the pot @ 750* for the mould to fill out correctly and sometimes with a bottom pour pot a little closer to the spout.

The critical temp is how hot is your mold. Lead of any temp that will pour can be cast - well cast. I use a mold heater whilst casting (actually during the casting process). Good mold temps are in the 325 degree range. A Harbor fart infra red thermometer is nice to have (not too costly). That having been said I cast at 700 to 750 degrees.
    We need somebody/something to keep the government (cops and bureaucrats too) HONEST (by non government oversight).

Every "freedom" (latitude) given to government is a loophole in the rule of law. Every loophole in the rule of law is another hole in our freedom. When they even obey the law that is. Too often government seems to feel itself above the law.

We forgot to take out the trash in 2012, but 2016 was a charm! YESSS!

Boolit Master
    Leftiye Just a suggestion. I use a NOE Mold Temperature Monitor. It gives you the imediate temperature. It is really easy to keep the mold within a few deg. All the time.
    Theonly drawback is that you have a wire constantly attatched to the mold. But with practice you don't even know its there.