Reloading EverythingMidSouth Shooters SupplyRotoMetals2Lee Precision
Load DataTitan ReloadingWidenersInline Fabrication
Repackbox
Page 1 of 6 123456 LastLast

Thread: (MiHec) What next for 10mm / 40sw?

Boolit Master

(MiHec) What next for 10mm / 40sw?

Now that all my other group buys have closed and delivered (170gr/150gr WFN, 200gr/190gr WFN)it's time for me to start thinking about what to do next. I'd like to hear your thoughts. Here's some of mine and you tell me if any interest you or if you've got some other idea.

First idea is a no-lube groove version of the previous WFN/HP designs.

I could do non-hp versions for faster easier casting and cheaper molds.

I could do aluminum mold versions

I could do gas check versions. I haven't heard anyone say its needed with the 200gr/190gr molds but the 170gr/150gr molds have yet to be tested really.

I could do an ultra-heavy. Say, 220gr? 230gr?

Some of these ideas can be combined. For instance, An ultra-heavy could use the same cherry to make no-lube groove versions of all lighter weights. I think this idea is my preference so far.

Move away from the WFN profile to design something totally new from scratch? Like what?

Whatcha guys think?
    Last edited by Oreo; 07-21-2014 at 07:03 PM.

Boolit Master

You are killing me, I dont need another 40 cal mold, that said,
    I will be watching.LOL
    Je suis Charlie
    ΔΕΞΑΙ
    Rednecks run the Brits out of this country years ago,
    I will defend this country from anyone or thing that tries to take it from me or mine
    I AM A REDNECK!!!
    "If ever a time should come, when vain and aspiring men shall possess the highest seats in Government,our country will stand in need of its experienced patriots to prevent its ruin." Samuel Adams, 1776

Boolit Master
    Ha ha! I'm pretty sure I left the realm of "need" after the first run of the 190gr. For me its all about fun now, but I believe in the design concept and there are still folks out there seeking 10mm molds with the variations I listed in the OP. If those folks want a MiHec mold I'd like to help make it happen.

Boolit Master

There was I post I saw about someone wanting a 230 gr I think, He is loading a 10mm.
    That would be a bit to heavy for my 40s.
    Je suis Charlie
    ΔΕΞΑΙ
    Rednecks run the Brits out of this country years ago,
    I will defend this country from anyone or thing that tries to take it from me or mine
    I AM A REDNECK!!!
    "If ever a time should come, when vain and aspiring men shall possess the highest seats in Government,our country will stand in need of its experienced patriots to prevent its ruin." Samuel Adams, 1776

Boolit Master
    Yea but I try to do as much as possible with a single cherry so a 230gr could also be a 220gr, a 210gr, and a lube grooveless gas checked 140gr. Hence, why I favor an ultra-heavy as the next iteration. The gas check issue remains to be seen but we'll know soon. lube grooves are out of vogue these days and there were a few people who felt that the 200gr was a little too light for their needs. I mean the previous production runs have covered the lion's share of what's needed in 40cal so to get enough orders for another similar design I have to look for the niches.
    Last edited by Oreo; 07-21-2014 at 09:08 PM.

Oreo-

I'd like a 2 cavity in the 200gr/190gr WFN

'course I shoulda got in on the first buy...
    God Bless ya'll
    Greg

Je suis Charlie

"You can observe a lot by watching."- Yogi Berra

Shooters Talk Refugee

Boolit Master
    Either heavier or a no lube groove version is my preference!
    See Some of My Holster Work Here:
    www.whitetigerleatherworks.com

Boolit Master
    Well, about 190gr. RNFP, one lube grove, flat base, 6 cavs, Aluminium.
    (200gr. donīt work in my short CZ .40 chamber)

Either way, I will follow this thread.

Boolit Master
    JayJay, does the current 190gr wfn (RNFP) work for you? I want to understand whether you're asking for an aluminum 6cav version of the current design or if you want some particular change to the 190gr wfn design.

Boolit Master
    A current 190gr.?

If you mean your link above, this one is over, isnīt it?

And sorry, but what do you mean with "WFN"?

Boolit Master
    .403 6 cavity aluminum no lube groove for PC, Cramer style 3 sets of pins (175~180 with the plain nose) (Penta / round Hp. and flat plain) extra heavy sprue plate
    I think Miha did this same mold in a 9mm not too long ago.
    For those of us that PC our projectiles. this would be the Shiz.
    I will be #1 in line on this one
    Do, or do not.
    There is no try.
    Yoda

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by jayjay1 View Post
    A current 190gr.?

If you mean your link above, this one is over, isnīt it?

And sorry, but what do you mean with "WFN"?
    Yes, the 190gr linked above is done but it can be rerun if there's enough interest. If you want one of those you should PM MiHec and ask if he has any left. So far, I haven't heard of anyone being turned down.

But that 190gr design is the current design that I've shortened for the 170gr & 150gr group buy. We can either do something with the current design or start fresh from scratch. WFN = Wide Flat Nose, RFN = Round Flat Nose. WFN suggests an RFN with a wider then usual meplate. The current design, .300" meplate is the widest that will work reliably in a GLOCK magazine at normal cartridge lengths.

Boolit Master
    this is a pic of the cast 9mm from the aluminum 6 cavity. Single radius long ogive bevel base.

Attachment 111426

just like that but in a .40 cal
    6 cavaites would be freakin fantastic, but i would still take a 4 cavity brass if that is what it took to get the multi pin option. Not sure about the rest of you boolit freaks but, PC has forever changed the way I shoot. Don't need no groove here
    Last edited by Blanco; 07-22-2014 at 11:54 AM.
    Do, or do not.
    There is no try.
    Yoda

Boolit Master
    So you want a long ogive. Is that for functional reliability in a particular gun, or some other reason?

Boolit Master
    Nope. not necessary at all. Matter of fact a long ogive probably would not work on .40
    From what I have seen on most .40 is that the ogive is about half or less than the total length.
    Forgive me i'm not a boolit designer ... Just spouting what I see that I like
    Do, or do not.
    There is no try.
    Yoda

Boolit Master
    Here ... throwed this together real quick.

Attachment 111445
    Last edited by Blanco; 07-22-2014 at 01:48 PM.
    Do, or do not.
    There is no try.
    Yoda

Boolit Master
    Ok, when I look at that I see three things. I see a smaller meplate (smaller then the current design), I see no lube groove, and a bevel base. You already said you wanted no lube groove. Are the smaller meplate and bevel base important to you?

Boolit Master
    Negative on both counts
    Let me be a bit more or less specifically un-specific
    1. no lube groove (slick side)
    2. Meplat not an issue for me one way or another, I suspect that feeding will be better with a shorter meplat on the 40/ Dependant on nose radius ? (just a guess). My other assumption is that this will allow for a bit longer flat on the nose for a HP?
    3. Bevel base was a thoughtful addition for those who re-size their boolits upside down ( not an issue for me as I push mine into the sizer nose first )

Since I really am not a designer this is all from the hip so to speak.
    I think I confused you... I was only pointing out that the 9mm pictured HAD a long nose.
    I personally think that a boolit will be more accurate when it is heavier in the base ... Just a guess
    Last edited by Blanco; 07-22-2014 at 03:00 PM.
    Do, or do not.
    There is no try.
    Yoda

Boolit Master
    From the hip is ok. I'm not a "designer" either. I'm just trying to focus in on specifically what aspects interest you and how to balance them with the suggestions of others. For instance, (and I may be wrong on this) We can't do a lube groove / no lube groove option AND a bevel base. We would have to pick either groove or no groove and it be that way for everyone.

What would benefit you Blanco it to follow the links to the original discussion thread prior to the first run of the 190gr design. Read that and get up to speed on why the choices were made that created that design. You'll see I got an education in that thread too. Then you'll know better what to ask for in this thread.

Boolit Master
    I don't need the bevel at all. As I use a Lee sizer I push from the bottom, nose first.
    Trust me I never figured on getting everything I wanted. I would like to have a no groove boolit .40 cal slightly rounded nose for easy feeding
    6 cavity would be nice but not a necessity multi pins would be a big plus. But you asked what we wanted.
    I love the mold I just got in the 170 Gr. group buy. If I could get that same boolit without the groove....
    Do, or do not.
    There is no try.
    Yoda

Page 1 of 6 123456 LastLast