Load DataReloading EverythingSnyders JerkyWideners
RotoMetals2Lee PrecisionRepackboxMidSouth Shooters Supply
Titan Reloading Inline Fabrication

Thread: 8.2X57 Mauser

Boolit Grand Master

8.2X57 Mauser

I recently went to Cabela's and found a Mauser 98 guild rifle on the rack cheap. The bore looked almost perfect but the gun had been reblued and the sights lost. The stock was PAINTED light brown, but over all nothing that couldn't be repaired so for $250.00 I took the gun home. When i got home I thought I would slug the bore and see if it was 318 or 323 and boy did I get a surprise. The bore was .338! The bore had 6 narrow lands and the rifling was as sharp as new and I could see NO wear in the leade. I pulled the rifle from the stock and on the bottom of the action it was marked 5/25 8.2mm. I did some checking and find that after 1918 Germany was not allowed to make military caliber guns so a lot of the 8mm were rebored for hunting use and that 8.2 was offered from about 1920 to 1930 when Germany told the rest of the world to p up a rope. The 82. is basicly the same as a 338 -06 in power and if the dies to reload this wouldn't have to be custom made I would think of keeping it.

Moderator Emeritus / Trusted loob groove dealer

Somers, Montana, a quaint little drinking village,with a severe hunting and fishing problem.
    I would suggest getting a set of 8mm dies, and ordering, or making, an expander plug of the proper size. Seating shouldn't be a big problem, I wouldn't think.
    The solid soft lead bullet is undoubtably the best and most satisfactory expanding bullet that has ever been designed. It invariably mushrooms perfectly, and never breaks up. With the metal base that is essential for velocities of 2000 f.s. and upwards to protect the naked base, these metal-based soft lead bullets are splendid.
    John Taylor - "African Rifles and Cartridges"

Forget everything you know about loading jacketed bullets. This is a whole new ball game!

Little Egypt, Part of the political fifedom of Chicago
    Opening the necks up on a set of 8mm Mauser dies should work. A 338 expander ball could be swapped also. Nothing to hard for a handy fellow with a lathe.

Boolit Grand Master

Ah yes, but then new moulds and new gas checks, and sizing dies and J word bullets and...but wait a 333 OKH for $250 oh my Daughter, Oh my ducats...

Boolit Master

Wink What with all of the added expenses

to shoot the thing, it appears to be a piece of worthless wood and metal.

Just to save you any loss of face I will offer 150 bucks for said worthless item shipped to my dealer.

I might be able to figure a use for it . . . and my .338 bullets, AND my 338 Molds. . . .

oops I have no use for it other than to help out a fellow boolit shooter.
    Amendments
    The Second there to protect the First!

Moderator Emeritus / Trusted loob groove dealer

Somers, Montana, a quaint little drinking village,with a severe hunting and fishing problem.
    Keep it up, guys. We've got him!
    The solid soft lead bullet is undoubtably the best and most satisfactory expanding bullet that has ever been designed. It invariably mushrooms perfectly, and never breaks up. With the metal base that is essential for velocities of 2000 f.s. and upwards to protect the naked base, these metal-based soft lead bullets are splendid.
    John Taylor - "African Rifles and Cartridges"

Forget everything you know about loading jacketed bullets. This is a whole new ball game!

Boolit Master
    KSCO, how about a 9x57 set of dies. You could use the seater (sort of) and with your expertise make up a shorty sizing die out of 7/8x14 threaded rod. Sounds like you got a real bargain. How are you gonna undo the bubba paint job?. You could leave it alone and skunk your shootin buddies when you sit down and shoot
    "that old piece of junk". Frank

Boolit Grand Master
    My suggestion is to get a set of 338-06 dies and shorten them; the shoulder diameter might be a little large but it would be considerably cheaper than custom dies.

Robert

Boolit Grand Master

Well thanks for all the help...
    I ordered a 338 Federal sizing die and have an old 35 Remington seater that i am adapting to work. Now I need to find some cast bullets to try. If anyone can donate a handfull or wants to trade for something let me know. Just what I needed was another project, well at least i won't have to restock this one.

Boolit Master at Heaven's Range 2010

Lee has a 338 mould at 220 gr.---------
    WILDCATT

Boolit Grand Master

Midway doesn't handle the mould but has gas checks and Graf's has the mould but NO gas checks. I am looking for someone with both.