Reloading EverythingLoad DataWidenersTitan Reloading
Snyders JerkyLee PrecisionMidSouth Shooters SupplyInline Fabrication
Repackbox RotoMetals2
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 10mm Powder Advice

10mm Powder Advice

Have been looking around trying to figure out which of the powders I have on hand would be best in my Glock 29.I've got 200gr xtp's ,231,unique,and bullseye.I know they will all work but wanted to ask yall any way.Should I hold out for something else?Maybe 800x?This will be my conceal carry gun.I've got the 48th edition lyman book.Was thinking of just using one of those recipes.What yall doing?Thanks

Boolit Master
    Of the powders you have, Unique is the best choice. 800x is a great 10mm powder if you are patient and don't mind hand-weighing since it measures like cornflakes. I have been very happy with AA7. A 200gr bullet is going to get your attention in a mod 29.
    Loren

Boolit Buddy
    If you want a hot load you would need a powder in the range of blue dot, AA9 etc. I'm not familar with a glock 29 but if a short <4" you will get a lot of flash.

Boolit Master
    I use Blue Dot with the 200gr xtp and 200gr cast. I use unique for all other plinking loads with cast.

Yeah I thought It might be a bit of a snap and flash lol.I'm going to try some unique and see what happens.I also have some 190gr bullets swaged from 9mm I may give them a whirl too.I think I will use the lead load data with them.I doubt I will be able to find any other powders right off hand.Thanks

Boolit Grand Master

I've used Longshot, BD and 800x. 800x gives awesome velocity but is a PITA to measure out exact charges. I do that when approaching too end. BD gives some awesome muzzle flash. Longshot gave me great velocity and ease of use. Metered well. I've stuck with it the last several hundred rounds and am happy.

Boolit Master
    800X if you aren't loading near max, or if you weigh every charge. AA#9 otherwise--and it has the advantage of being a very dense powder so you can pack a casefull even with a 200 grain bullet.

I would avoid Blue Dot: very peaky.

1000th post--I just got my first boolet!
    NRA Endowment Member

Armed people don't march into gas chambers.

Boolit Master

I use powerpistol for 180's and the swaged from 9 mm brass. Mine weigh in at 187 gr.

Boolit Master

Unique will work fine, but may not make the best velocity. I use Blue Dot. I have always wondered if the 10mm could be loaded with H110, but I have never tried it.

ADMIN

I use unique. May not be the best choice but its what i have on hand and plenty of it.
    Don't like being hammered by the Cast Boolits Staff, then don't be a nail.
    The rules are simple to follow.

Boolit Master
    In the couple of dozen years I have had mine, I have simply gone to Accurate 5,7,or 9 as mainstay powders for it.

They all meter like water, set your measure and go to town. They produce excellent velocities, with the bullet weights listed, and they have very little noted flash even in some of the low light hunting I have done with it. Not anything brilliant like a couple of the DOT powders or what you might get with 2400 or 296. More of a dull orange glow as best as I can explain it.

I realize that powders are here and there, but it is out there somewhere, as I have seen it for sale locally several times here lately. Of course it don't sit on the shelf, but it does show up.

I haven't started up with cast in mine just yet, but am working on picking up a 200gr mold soon. My standard load uses 13grs of AA-9 under the 180gr Gold Dot, and I figure that with a little work, something around 11 or so should work out fine with the 200's. I mainly keep the #5 and 7 for the lighter weight loads from 135 up to 170, and start from there on up with the #9.

Hope that helps.
    Later,
    Mike / TX

Boolit Master
    I've had good luck with Herco and the swaged bullets from 9mm.. Any of the other named powders are good.. BD, 800x, Acc #7, Acc #9, SR4756, Power Pistol, Autocomp, Ramshot Sillouette, Vitt 3N37, Vitt 3N38, Longshot, HS6 and you might even find that 10MM has enough capacity for H110/296, and 2400.. though those last two might be a little too slow.

Boolit Buddy

Power pistol and AA #7 are what I use in a Wyoming Arms 1911 clone

Love Life
    Depends on what I want. If I want nuclear loads then I reach for the 800X. For my normal loads I use AA#7.

Banned

unique will work fine especially if your loading midrange loads. . Some of my other favorites are aa9 (wc820) for heavy loads and power pistol for midrange loads. I agree with the other posters blue dot opinion. Its way to peaky to use especially in a semiauto. I dont use it for anything anymore. theres much better powders for metalic loading in that burn rate that are alot more user freindly.

Boolit Man

2400 loads great in a 10mm, fills the case pretty well at max loads. LilGun works awesome also , but not much load data available. Seems to be an ideal powder for 10 and it meters great. I'm not a fan of Unique but I am sure you can make it work, it meters very inconsistently for me.
    "The Republic can survive a Barack Obama, who is, after all, merely a fool. It is less likely to survive a multitude of fools such as those who made him their president."

Boolit Bub
    Blue Dot, 800x, AA7, are the ones I use. I tend to load my 10mm (Glock20, Tanfoglio) fairly warm. Warmer than .40S&W loads. If, I didn't I would just use a .40S&W.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Lloyd Smale View Post
    I agree with the other posters blue dot opinion. Its way to peaky to use especially in a semiauto. I dont use it for anything anymore. theres much better powders for metalic loading in that burn rate that are alot more user freindly.
    I couldn't agree more. I will never use Blue Dot again. I think it's the most dangerous handgun powder on the market except possibly 800X (because of how 800X meters).
    NRA Endowment Member

Armed people don't march into gas chambers.

Boolit Buddy

When I had a 475 Wildey that is all they recommended was Blue Dot. Their claim was a cleaner burn than 110/296, and it worked the gas system better. I sold the gun only after mild experimentation.

Boolit Buddy
    Brian Pearce, in Handloader 253, June -July 2008 has a very extensive write up on the 10mm, in a Kimber, mostly jacketed but some cast. Very impressive velocities with AAC-9; many others listed. Same issue has Mike Venturino's article on some versatile cast designs.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast