WidenersRepackboxRotoMetals2Load Data
Lee PrecisionInline FabricationReloading EverythingTitan Reloading
Snyders Jerky MidSouth Shooters Supply
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Ultimate Cannelure Tool, update

Ultimate Cannelure Tool, update

Cannelure Tool

Remember these?

There is a Part 2 video on YouTube also sort of shows it in action.
    Link to details

http://castboolits.gunloads.com/show...42#post2863342
    Thanx
    Kevin

Why don't you knock it off with them negative waves? Why don't you dig how beautiful it is out here? Why don't you say something righteous and hopeful for a change? (Sgt. Oddball, KELLY'S HEROES)
    __________________________________________________ __________________________________________________ _____________________________
    my feedback thread
    http://castboolits.gunloads.com/show...raight-shooter

Boolit Master

Very nice.

Who made it?
    First reload: .22 Hornet. 1956.
    More at: http://reloadingtips.com/

"Any man who thinks he can be happy and prosperous by letting the
    government take care of him better take a closer look at the American Indian."
    - Henry Ford

Friend of mine does the work, Tool & Die maker, mostly in Aerospace, for 47 years.
    Why don't you knock it off with them negative waves? Why don't you dig how beautiful it is out here? Why don't you say something righteous and hopeful for a change? (Sgt. Oddball, KELLY'S HEROES)
    __________________________________________________ __________________________________________________ _____________________________
    my feedback thread

Boolit Buddy

I just received mine. It is a beautiful piece of precision machinery. I got the improved version with the extra rollers and an extra knurling wheel. The extra rollers actually have 3 grooves to make it quick and easy to adjust to different lengths of rimmed cases. I ordered an extra knurling wheel, just because I am extra careful. Kevin tried to tell me what a durable and precision piece it was, but he was happy to acquiesce to my request and send the spare. I have had to replace wheels on my Corbin before. After receiving my unit, I see what Kevin was talking about. I believe the wheel will outlast my lifetime for sure, and probably my children's children. This is the last cannelure tool you will ever need to buy. The action of the unit is so smooth and precise there is absolutely no comparison to others I have used. The leverage on this one makes quick work of deep grooves on heavy jackets needed for heavy recoiling loads in my 500 S&W.

Below is a Winchester Platinum 400gr HP. They have very heavy, hard jackets. I found a box of 500 on GB, but they had no cannelure, so they were unusable for heavy recoiling 500 S&W rounds in my 4" S&W revolver. Notice what a nice job the Ultimate Cannelure Tool did on this beautiful bullet.

Below I Added a cross section picture to show how thick these jackets are and what a remarkable job this tool does to put such a deep, uniform cannelure in this copper solid tube. The Corbin tool would hardly make a dent. The Corbin tool works fine on ordinary jackets, but for a really tough job like the Winchester Platinum, you really need a tool with leverage, like this one. This tool is worth every penny. This tool more than paid for itself just turning a box of 500 smooth Winchester Platinum bullets into cannelure bullets useable in my 500 S&W.

In addition to a great product, Kevin is a great to deal with. Frequent updates, great packaging, fast insured shipping. Kevin is just a class act all the way around.

Roll Tide
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails IMG_20140722_215016_021.jpg   IMG_20140722_215141_004.jpg  
    Last edited by rolltide; 08-24-2014 at 10:26 PM.

Thanx RollTide

Kevin
    my feedback thread

Just wanted everyone to know that Mike is working on one that is on order, decided just as easy to make 2 at same time as just the one and had material on hand so I will have a "spare" ready to ship by this time next week. Who wants it??
    Thanx again
    Kevin
    my feedback thread

Boolit Buddy
    I thought I would post a couple pics of my Ultimate Cannelure Tool and my Corbin tool side by side.

Notice the difference in the handle size/length and the overall length. These are the things that make this tool MUCH better than others on the market. You can get the job done most of the time with other tools, but you may wear yourself out after just a few bullets. The materials and craftsmanship in the Ultimate Cannelure Tool are also far superior to anything else I have used or seen. This is not a put down of Corbin or any other tool maker. I am really glad they make those tools and have offered them to the market for years. I am just really impressed with this tool.

It can be crucial to put a good cannelure on some projectiles and/or cases of finished rounds for some semi autos (especially 40 S&W) to avoid setback during repeated loading and unloading of that first round on top of the mag. I read setback has blown up more than a few 40 S&W guns, especially people who carry every day and have to load and unload the weapon frequently. This concerned me since my most frequent carry gun is a 40 SW. I do have to load and unload the gun a lot. Therefore my factory carry round has a cannelured case and a polymer ball in the hollow point. These are great rounds and they work great to avoid setback, but they cost anywhere from $1.00 to $2.00 per round, and recently have been unavailable, although that is not currently the case. By swaging my own bullets and using a cannelure tool on the case, I can make them for less than $0.20 per round. That means I can practice with my actual carry round a LOT, which got REAL expensive at factory prices. One 200 round practice session MORE than pays for this cannelure tool. (Of course it is going to take a few such sessions to pay for the swaging press and dies. DANG, I guess I will just have to shoot more. Its tough job, but somebodies got to do it.) Even if you do not reload at all or your department won't allow you to use reloads, you can make a factory round much safer to load an unload repeatedly by just carefully adding a cannelure to the case of an otherwise great factory round.

On the 300 Blackout, some have reportedly blown up 223 uppers because they accidently attempted to load a mag full of 300 Blackout rounds into a 223 upper. Theoretically, the round should just fail to chamber, no big deal. Reportedly the 30 caliber bullet can setback far enough in the case to allow the bolt to go into full battery, and cause a nasty explosion if you pull the trigger. This also concerned me since I shoot both 223 and 300 BLK in very similar guns, and sometimes in the same range session. A deep cannelure AND firm factory crimp will help prevent such a catastrophe. The opposite problem, "set-out," can also be a problem with this and other rounds and can seriously effect accuracy. Richard Mann, in his June 2014 article for Shooting Illustrated entitled "Handloading the .300 AAC Blackout," stated the following:

The only problem I ran into while handloading the .300 Blackout was with bullet set-out when the cartridge was chambered. With some loads—particularly those using the 125-grain Nosler AccuBond and 150-grain Nosler Ballistic Tip—the bullet would migrate forward in the case when the cartridge entered the chamber. This had a horrible effect on accuracy. Set-out was a noticeable problem only with the Nosler bullets, but it could have been occurring with other bullets, too, and just not showing up as glaringly on target. I spent several hours chambering dummy cartridges with a variety of bullets and measuring set-out, and in fact, I found it occurred to some extent with every bullet tested. ... After speaking with Nosler, I think we found the cause. The AccuBond’s jacket is thicker than most conventional bullets, and the core is not pure, soft lead, making it harder for a taper crimp to take hold. My conclusion is the 125-grain AccuBond needs a crimping groove.
    Not only can you swage your own bullets and put a cannelure wherever YOU want on the bullet to achieve the best OCL for your gun, but you can also put a groove wherever YOU want on an otherwise great factory bullet which might simply be unacceptable to you in this cartridge without one. A cannelure can help solve both problems, setback and set-out, and make handloading BETTER than factory rounds at a fraction of the cost a reality for the 300 Blackout. It might be noted that a cannelure AND the Lee Factory Crimp Die are the right prescription here.

There are many other situations where a good cannelure and crimp can dramatically improve your shooting. Cannelures are needed for rounds used in lever action rifles to avoid setback and dangerous chamber pressures due to recoil effect on the stacked rounds in the tubular mag. Heavy recoiling revolvers are famous for having bullets "walk" out of the cases during the recoil impulse and bind up the cylinder. This version of the set-out problem can prove deadly in a different way. It is not a good thing when you are using that revolver round as the last line of defense against a dangerous game animal and find out you just turned you 6 shooter into a single shot because you did not have the foresight to use a cannelure and a factory crimp. A good cannelure can also help bond the jacket and core which makes for better accuracy and terminal ballistics. Using a cannelure tool like the Ultimate Cannelure Tool is easily 10 times faster than using flux and melted cores to make bonded core bullets. A lot of people use a cannelure to achieve more consistent pressure, velocity, and accuracy shot to shot, even if they don't need them for other reasons. I have found it true that the use of cannelure does help keep velocity and therefore accuracy consistent, especially at long range. So I put cannelures on bullets in my 30-06 that I fire in a bolt action, just for the increase in accuracy for long range shooting. It can also increase pressure, so that needs to be taken into consideration if working anywhere near a mid-range or max load. I have noticed that many bullets in various calibers produced under military contracts for the US armed forces include a good cannelure on the projectile. Even though the ammunition is made on commercial tooling with a factory crimp, they still go the extra step to put the cannelure on each projectile.

All these are reasons why I am so pleased with my purchase of this tool. The first time you prevent any of these problems with a good cannelure and crimp, the tool has more than paid for itself in the cost to repair or replace a firearm and/or saving a great hunt, not to mention the incalculable benefit of preventing injury or loss of life. These are all reasons I put cannelures on bullets because I shoot 40 SW, 300 BLK, lever actions, and 44 mag, 445 supermag (revolver and custom Marlin lever action), and 500 SW.

If you make jacketed bullets, or buy jacketed bullets and reload, a cannelure tool is a great investment. Even if you don't reload, carefully adding a cannelure to the outside of a factory round can help increase its safety and reliability. I consider a cannelure tool a "must have" for the kind of shooting and reloading I do for safety, reliability, and accuracy.

I don't know how many more of these Kevin and Mike are going to make, but I am glad I got mine. I will use it for a lifetime. Thanks Kevin and Mike for bringing these great tools to us on this forum. After years of being forced to try to find factory bullets with cannelures and/or paying increased prices often if I could find them in the bullet weights and configurations I needed, and after using other cannelure tools that wore me out because of the volume of bullets I use or because the jackets were thick and hard and difficult to cannelure, this tool is great and worth every penny. Now that I am getting into making my own jacketed bullets, I cannot do without such a tool.

Thanks again,
    Roll Tide
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails can01_zps6bcb02b1.jpg  
    Last edited by rolltide; 08-24-2014 at 10:46 PM.

Cannelure Tool

I might like the improved version with the extra rollers and an extra knurling wheel. How much would it cost me to get the same as you bought? That looks like a keeper. Send me a PM if there are any available.
    Thank You
    Randy

Quote Originally Posted by Randy C View Post
    I might like the improved version with the extra rollers and an extra knurling wheel. How much would it cost me to get the same as you bought? That looks like a keeper. Send me a PM if there are any available.
    Thank You
    Randy
    PM Sent Randy

Thanx for the comments Roll Tide

Kevin
    my feedback thread

Boolit Master

Chuckbuster: I just PMed you about obtaining one of your cannelure tools. The version Randy C describes seems to be what I need. I want to cannelure jacketed bullets as large as 50 BMG and knurl 45-70, 500 S&W, and 45 Colt & 45 ACP + some smaller calibers.

Bob
    Si hostes visibilis, etiam tu

Boolit Grand Master

Why is it that every time I research, and buy the current accepted best of anything, the next month someone makes an improved model or cheaper? I've got 3 hardness testers, 9 presses, 4 lube/sizers, and multiples of almost everything, with minor changes. Last Spring I bought a channelure tool, and now this happens. I can't keep up.
    I've got so much tied up in tools and equipment, I can't afford powder, primers, or guns.

Quote Originally Posted by mold maker View Post
    Why is it that every time I research, and buy the current accepted best of anything, the next month someone makes an improved model or cheaper? I've got 3 hardness testers, 9 presses, 4 lube/sizers, and multiples of almost everything, with minor changes. Last Spring I bought a channelure tool, and now this happens. I can't keep up.
    I've got so much tied up in tools and equipment, I can't afford powder, primers, or guns.
    So you are saying I should put you on the list?

Kevin
    my feedback thread

Boolit Buddy
    I just opened mine today.

I'm still undecided if it's a sculpture or a piece of medical equipment.

To say I'm impressed with it is a considerable understatement.

My old Corbin manual cannelure tool is currently planning an assassination.

Mike took this picture the other day, thought it was kind of neat. On the left are all the parts that go into these tools, on the right the finished product. You can see the extra set of "Grooved Rollers" for working with Rimmed Cases on the lower right corner of the parts. Not part of the basic tool, add on accessory. We are working on another accessory now and will release details on it as soon as we are sure it will work.

There will be a couple finished and ready to go to their "Forever Homes" this next week. PM me for details
    Thanx
    Kevin
    my feedback thread

Boolit Master

I uploaded pics of Kevin's cannelure tool with the knurling wheel installed. Also included pics of 45 ACP & 500 S&W/50 Beowulf. I originally posted them in th S&S section but realized they would soon disappear when the thread was taken down so I moved some of them over here.

Bob
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Copy of knurl 2.jpg   Copy of knurl 11.jpg   Copy of knurl 1.jpg   Copy of knurl 3.jpg   Copy of knurl 9.jpg  

Si hostes visibilis, etiam tu

Chuckbuster / Kevin
    I really like the wide knurling wheel how much are they shipped.
    I love the Ultimate Cannelure Tool It took three days to ship and it is standing proud on my reloading bench next to my Corbin set up.
    I have to say it works smooth and effortless.

Now found in the VENDOR SPONSOR SECTION --> click here to visit my VS area <--
    Thanx all
    Kevin
    Last edited by No_1; 09-09-2014 at 12:21 PM. Reason: add link
    my feedback thread

Boolit Man
    I give up. Tried to find a price list but decided to move on.

Frosted Boolits

I give up. Tried to find a price list but decided to move on.
    If you follow the link in the previous post to his vedor sponsor page his prices are in the first post of the thread titled "Ultimate Cannelure Tool".

Just in case you can't find it here is the link to the thread. Look at post #1 for the prices. http://castboolits.gunloads.com/show...Cannelure-Tool
    My Feedback : http://castboolits.gunloads.com/show...iscoyotehunter

An armed society is a polite society.

the BB knows

Thought I should revive this thread for a bit. Have a couple ready to ship. Also have one "HF" cut off saw set up to do 9mm and 40 brass for jackets.
    Details in the Vendor Sponsor section or shoot me a PM
    Thanx for your interest
    Kevin
    my feedback thread

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast