Titan ReloadingRotoMetals2Load DataInline Fabrication
RepackboxLee PrecisionMidSouth Shooters SupplyWideners
Snyders Jerky Reloading Everything
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Airborne invasion in SW Ohio

Airborne invasion in SW Ohio

So, there I was, finishing up dinner on the grill, when all of a sudden, it felt like a bear trap snapped on my calf. Sure enough, a lowlife horsefly had decided to make a meal of me.
    I killed the thing with a swat of my hand. About two minutes later, here comes another one. It lands on the table, it gets a one way ticket insect Valhalla. Ok, all done right? Nope, here comes another one, and it gets itself killed as well.

For those that have never had the pleasure, a horsefly looks like an oversized housefly, complete with a bad attitude.
    Pretty strange, we've never had a lot of the around the compound before. I still hate those flying bloodsuckers!

Boolit Master

They are HORRIBLE! Around here lately they have been organizing and targeting the ears, mouth, and nose.

in Remebrance
    One thing about horseflies, big black ones or the smaller greenish ones, you darn sure know when one bites you. Down here in swamp country they used to give us fits when we went swimming in the river. GW
    "If you can walk with crowds and keep your virtue,
    Or walk with Kings, nor lose the common touch,
    Yours is the earth and everything that's in it,
    And, which is more, you'll be a man my son!" R. Kipling

"Brother to a Prince, and fellow to a pauper, if found worthy." Kipling

Boolit Master
    And a thin shirt is no protection at all as they can bight right through it.

Quote Originally Posted by Bullshop View Post
    And a thin shirt is no protection at all as they can bight right through it.
    that is a true story. Their choppers are armor piercing. I've had them go right through t shirts like there was nothing there.
    grrrr, I really hate those critters.

Moderator Emeritus

Try blackflies. I came in from mowing today and my legs were covered in blood dots where they had bit me. Little suckers hurt too! That was on top of about 30 mosquito bites!

In Remembrance - Super Moderator & Official Cast Boolits Sketch Artist

Kind of feels like getting shot with a red ryder BB gun dog flies are not much better well that's what we call them here looks like a large house fly but most are yellow and they are fast.
    Reloading to save money I am sure the saving is going to start soon

Boolit Master
    We get deer flies in VT. Smaller with delta wings and green heads but that bite is still ad M-F. And the welt lasts a while!

Lucky me in NW Ohio, we have both horse flies and deer flies and their seasons overlap for a few weeks. The pests do make for some good entertainment when they swarm my wife's horses. You wouldn't think a half broke down 24 year old horse could buck that hard.

BB

Deer flies are the ninja brother to the horsefly. We used to feed them on fishing trips up nort in Wisconsin, Michigan and Canada. Those are tenacious little buggers as well.
    Pretty much black flies, horse flies, and Deerflies are the jerks of the insect world.
    Wasps are filled with hate and pain, but at least they kinda warn you to go away. Not horseflies, they just wait till your back is turned and then carve a chunk out of you.

You know Cheyenne Frontier Days is on when all the flies show up.

And it is on now!

The difference between horse flies and deer flies is that a horse fly lands and then bites. All the d*mn deer flies around here land biting.

Boolit Master
    Numbers wise, horseflies haven't been a big issue around here. In spite of spending many years around horses, I've only been bitten by horseflies maybe a dozen times.
    The lower population of mosquitoes, horseflies, etc. is something I'll miss when I leave Kali. However, I'd rather deal with an infestation of mosquitoes, ticks, horseflies, chiggers or any other insect than the infestation of criminal aliens and their liberal-progressive supporters that Kali is suffering from.
    A well regulated militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the People to keep and bear arms *shall not be infringed*.

"The greatest danger to American freedom is a government that ignores the Constitution."
    - Thomas Jefferson

"While the people have property, arms in their hands, and only a spark of noble spirit, the most corrupt Congress must be mad to form any project of tyranny."
    - Rev. Nicholas Collin, Fayetteville Gazette (N.C.), October 12, 1789

Moderator Emeritus

Picked raspberries and the last of the gosseberries, blackflies ate me alive as did the mosquitoes. Deet doesn't even slow them down unless it is the illegal 100% stuff

Ouch. Those are some hard earned berries. The jam and cobbler will be worth it though.
    We don't get blackflies in SW Ohio, though I remember them from camping trips in Canada and the UP of Michigan.

Moderator Emeritus

fresh berries alone are worth it! Ate a ton as I picked. Rest went in the freezer to be used later after I pick more. Thinking jam...

Boolit Bub
    We have just about all the biting critters here . I still have several bottles of the good deets left. It keeps them at bay.

Phil

Boolit Buddy
    deer flies and Horse flies bite a trough in you and them lap up the damn blood as it pours out, making a mosquito look like a expert surgeon.

Once shared a special moment with a big dragon fly that landed on my shoulder to devour a Deer fly, I cheered him on! dragon flies are the cobra gunships of the insect world, alway glad to see THEM!

Quote Originally Posted by badge176 View Post
    Once shared a special moment with a big dragon fly that landed on my shoulder to devour a Deer fly, I cheered him on! dragon flies are the cobra gunships of the insect world, alway glad to see THEM!
    I am glad I am not the only person that views insects little aircraft...
    For sure dragonflies are Cobra gunships.

In Remembrance
    What is the difference in legal 100% deet and illegal 100% deet? All I buy is 100%, the other stuff is just bad perfume.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast