RepackboxSnyders JerkyRotoMetals2Inline Fabrication
Lee PrecisionReloading EverythingWidenersMidSouth Shooters Supply
Titan Reloading Load Data
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Rutgers 22/45 Jam/Misfeed

Boolit Master

Edge of The Crab Orchard National Wildlife Refuge

Rutgers 22/45 Jam/Misfeed

Took the wife to the range yesterday to shoot her new 22/45 with Bushnell TRS-25 on top. I had previously taken it to the range to sight it in with no problems using CCI Blazer LR ammo.

After the first five shots it began to jam with the spent case ending up atop the cartridge that was partially into the barrel. I ended up changing ammo twice more but it would still jam this way about every twenty shots.

I find it interesting that the mouth of the breech has zero relief and the cartridge face up at the breech at about a 45 degree angle sitting in the magazine.

At the the same time I was shooting a new Mark III with TRS-25 and had zero problems. Both of us are tickled with the Bushnell red dot, they are quite small, but are very nice to look through with lots of adjustment of the brightness of the dot and easy use and zeroing.

If the jamming problem persists I will contact Ruger, but wondered if anyone had encountered this sort of problem. I suspect that with use it will "break in" and stop.

Even with the misfeeds, the wife is very happy with her new pistol, and I had to take a pic after her first shot. (Truthfully, sometimes I have to wonder if teaching her to shoot might ever be a mistake,,,,,) If you look close, she hit the top left leg of the X.
    More "This is what happened when I,,,,," and less "What would happen if I,,,,"

Last of the original Group Buy Honcho's.

"Dueling should have never been made illegal in this country. It settled lots of issues between folks."- Char-Gar

Boolit Grand Master

Have you tried it since it started "jamming"? Semi auto can be very fussy as to grip / wrist strength and how they are held. I have an 8: ruger 22 45 thats is a real tack driver and it likes to be held firm.

Boolit Master

That was my first thought on the first jam and we discussed grip and wrist again. (I have a hard time keeping my 1911 out of her mitts, she understands a firm handshake with the gun, I didn't think it was the problem, but you go for the easy fix first) and after the second jam I took the pistol and fired a couple of magazines myself, it continued to jam every 3 or 4 rounds for about thirty shots and was down to one jam every 20 shots or so by the end of the session.

"Dueling should have never been made illegal in this country. It settled lots of issues between folks."- Char-Gar

Boolit Master

Be sure you go through the standard auto pistol malfunction plagues: try a different brand and style of ammo, swap magazines if available and make sure the mag followers move freely in the housing, check for burrs on the chamber mouth, and by your description of the problem, take a good look at the ejector to be sure it is where it needs to be and in sound condition. You might also have gotten ahold of some ammo that is not producing the power it should be which will not give the bolt enough thrust the throw the case out of the ejection port.

Boolit Grand Master

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	image.jpg 
Views:	30 
Size:	59.2 KB 
ID:	111243
    Since were sharing pictures.....here's my wife with my (her) Mk3 Hunter Model on its first outing.

Clean the 22/45 up and lubricate well. Try again.

Boolit Master

Looks like we're both living dangerously,,,,,,,,

Did you check the extractor? My MK 1 snapped an extractor and did almost the same thing. Just drops the brass on the top of the magazine.

If there's dirt/grime between the extractor and bolt it will sometimes do the same.
    It is hard to fail, but it is worse never to have tried to succeed.

Theodore Roosevelt

Boolit Grand Master

It may be a break in issue a few hundred rounds and it may settle down and work flawlessly. I have seen some semi autos that jammed , failed to feed or eject become 100% reliable after a coyple hundred rounds. Keep it properly lubed and fire it a little more. You claim it was getting better with use so it may need a break into allieviate tight s[pots rough areas.

Boolit Master
    I had one that fed terribly. I tried half a dozen types of 22 ammunition (which was at the time fortunately abundant), sent it to Ruger for the issues twice, and none of that really helped at all.

What helped me more than anything was removing the loaded chamber indicator. It still jams now and then, but it's a 22 so I cut it a little slack compared to a carry gun. The number of rounds I've put through it may have broken it in some as well, but try removing the LCI and see if it does any better.

Boolit Master

Appreciate all the responces guys. I have to laugh when I click on this thread, auto correct changed "Ruger" to "Rutgers".

Boolit Master

I had a similar issue with my MK2 Stainless. It jammed all the time! Different ammo, different magazines, clean and dry lube/wet lube etc. Couldn't figure it out for the life of me. A guy at the range told me to polish the feed ramp and it will fix it. I voiced my concerns about altering the gun too much. I went home and ran a "Cratex" slender bob on the ramp a bit till it was shiny then polished it with Flitz. Runs like a champ now. Before I wanted to leave it at the range due to the amount of malfunctions.
    You can miss fast & you can miss a lot, but only hits count.

Boolit Master

Rugers no matter what the new folks think were crappy in the 70's and 80's the trigger pulls blew. Hi-Standards, Colts and S&W's ruled. Now that the cheapies are all that have survived the newbies will never know a great 22 pistol if it bites them. Sorry for he rant as I am an old guy who expects what he pays for.

Boolit Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by Geezer in NH View Post
    Rugers no matter what the new folks think were crappy in the 70's and 80's the trigger pulls blew. Hi-Standards, Colts and S&W's ruled. Now that the cheapies are all that have survived the newbies will never know a great 22 pistol if it bites them. Sorry for he rant as I am an old guy who expects what he pays for.
    Smith 41 is still alive and kicking. Not to mention the Hammerlis and others. Gotta pay for them though. Something worth doing if that's what you like.

I have no no complaints with my Rugers. Yes, they are built at a certain price point, but that's where the market (and money) is. At least the Mk line has no ZAMAK.

Boolit Grand Master

I have 3 rugers a 4 3/4" standard ( was red eagle) a 5" heavy target, and a 22-45 with 8" slab side barrel ( was a davidsons gun) all are great shooters the 8" will shoot dime sized groups at 25 yds maybe better as I suspect thats the best I can do. I also have a marvel target conversion for my 1911s, and a Smith 41. Both are very good and shoot great but both the target and 8" rugers are my go to guns for a 22 pistol. The marvel shoots very good and accurately and does fit most my holsters. The smith is the 7" version and while accurate is fussy about ammo. I like thetarget grips on the smith alot though.The only other 22 I have that will out shoot the 22-45 with field ammo is my Win 52 c.

Boolit Master

My uncle had one he carried while out and about on the farm. This was years ago. I got to shoot it. Neat gun, accurate as you might want, and no jams. Just as today, some come out a little better than others.

Boolit Master
    Have had a few Rutgers MKs that had sharp feed lips on the mags when new. Sharp enough edges that they caused jams. A few minutes with some sand paper or cratex made them right, no more jamming.
    I was a dog on a short chain.
    Now there's no chain.
    Jim Harrison

Boolit Master
    Don't remember who, but one of my most recent "new" purchases had a disclaimer. Said "Don't call us until you run 200-500 down the pipe to break it in."

Take it for what it is worth.
    Been paddlin' upstream all my life, don't see no reason to turn around now.

Just bought a nice new 22/45 with 4" bull barrel, stainless and I've had exactly 2 problems, both caused by me.

One my left hand got up a smidgeon too high and the bolt gave it a rap, causing a stovepipe. I dropped the mag, cleared it, reinserted mag but don't think I got the mag all the way up, because when I released the slide the bullet caught on something halfway up and hung.

I dropped, cleared, worked the action twice, then went back to shooting and it went back to shooting.

My wife and I have about 350 rounds through it now and it is starting to settle in. About time to start trying to fine tune the sights I think.

Sunday morning at the range my wife put 10 rounds into a group measuring roughly 2" from side to side or top to bottom. Call it 1" from center at 25 yards.

At this point it is shooting 2.5 inches low and 1.5 inches to the right. But it is keeping them all in a nice tight group so I'm happy.

Boolit Master

Good advise all. I'm really surprised there is no feed ramping of the mouth of the breech. I cleaned and lubed both and sat and cycled the bolt by hand about 50 times and they already seem smoother.

Boolit Master
    They can be picky when it comes to ammo. My 22/45 will eat Remington bulk packed HPs all day but is a single shot with the Federal bulk pack HPs.

Just make sure its clean and lubed then find out what it likes.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast