WidenersLoad DataLee PrecisionTitan Reloading
Reloading EverythingSnyders JerkyMidSouth Shooters SupplyRepackbox
RotoMetals2 Inline Fabrication
Page 8 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678

Thread: Starting over; .308 Winchester

Boolit Mold
    IMHO you are fighting a losing battle, trying to make the rifle shoot a bullet it simply doesn't like, no matter how well made. Most .308s seem to like a bullet of 160 to 200 grains, in my experience, and there are more than one rifle (not just in .308) that you can't exceed 2000fps with cast. Who knows why, may be rough bore, inconsistent bore diameter worn/ oversize throat, etc etc. I have an old win mod. 670 with a very rough/ pitted bore that shoots the "cheapo" 180 Lee into 1.5" @ 100 with 31 grains IMR 3031 why who knows? Don't give up! 308 Win. is one of the best with cast as many have found. Larry g. is right, 4350 works great with heavier loads, this same rifle will put 10 rounds in 2.5" @ 100 with 40 gr IMR 4350 and a Lyman 311290(210 grain) or a Lee 200 grain. Not benchrest accuracy , sure, but great for deer -- velocity 1900-1950 fps. Odicoilius.
    Last edited by odicoilius; 09-01-2014 at 12:24 AM.

Boolit Master

I'm thinking it could be a bedding or scope issue that reacts to higher energy loads consistently and lower energy loads less consistently.
    I give loading advice based on my actual results in factory rifles with standard chambers, twist rates and basic accurizing.
    My goals for using cast boolits are lots of good, cheap, and reasonably accurate shooting, while avoiding overly tedious loading processes.
    The BHN Deformation Formula, and why I don't use it.
    How to find and fix sizing die eccentricity problems.
    Do you trust your casting thermometer?
    A few musings.

Boolit Bub
    I read this thread because im wanting to try casting for my 308.
    DeanWinchester, you seam to have tried everything with no improvement, yet the one constant was the 311 sized boolit, just a thought.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Ido356 View Post
    I read this thread because im wanting to try casting for my 308.
    DeanWinchester, you seam to have tried everything with no improvement, yet the one constant was the 311 sized boolit, just a thought.
    Not true, I HAVE tried sizing .309 but saw faint traces of leading in just a few rounds so I quickly hung that up.

Banned

you didn't size down the ones I sent you I hope.
    the angles are so sensitive I have to maintain mold and alloy temp within a very narrow window or I destroy the boolits when scuff sizing.
    anything that gets actually sized is immediately rejected, as it wipes the front band angles off and I lose the reason for it being there.

Boolit Master
    No, it was the Lee 155g boolit i was running.

Boolit Buddy
    I know this is slower than your loading but 11.5 grns unique with the rcbs 173grn mold 50/50 lead with gas check, throws damn near a sigle hole 3 shot group at 50 yds, with my Rem 700 308. Round is seated 20 thou off lands. sized .310

Page 8 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678