Load DataSnyders JerkyTitan ReloadingRepackbox
Inline FabricationRotoMetals2WidenersMidSouth Shooters Supply
Lee Precision Reloading Everything
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Leupold VX-2 vs VX-3 Rifle Scope

Boolit Grand Master

Leupold VX-2 vs VX-3 Rifle Scope

I'm a big fan of VX-3 scopes but I'm a bit weary of their price tags. I like the size of the VX-2 in 2-7X33 for a levergun and the XV-3 in 2.5-8X36 is only a little larger. Price difference before rebate is $100 and there's a rebate available after 8/1 on the VX-2. I have no experience with the VX-2 so would like to hear from folks who have used them for awhile and can compare them with the VX-3.

And yes, the new Redfield is still a bit of a sore subject with me.
    Endowment Life Member NRA, Life Member TSRA, Member WACA, NRA Whittington Center, BBHC
    Smokeless powder is a passing fad! -Steve Garbe
    I hate rude behavior in a man. I won't tolerate it. -Woodrow F. Call, Lonesome Dove
    Some of my favorite recipes start out with a handful of depleted counterbalance devices.

Boolit Master

As I recall, VX2 has friction cross hair adjustment instead of the positive clicks of the VX3. I have had many VX2's and was happy with them. I am with you on the VX3. It is a great scope, but costs more money than I am willing to spend. I am also a big fan of Nikon and Burris scopes, especially for the money.

Vendor Sponsor

Tx: I just bought a VX1 1-4X for my Beeman R1 Air Rifle. This gun is THE most vicious spring powered Air Rifle out there and the recoil already killed another scope I had mounted to it. This scope was $219 from Optics Planet with Free Shipping.

I called Leupold and they told me all of their scopes are airgun rated, meaning that they can cope with recoil in both directions. With the Leupold Warrantee there is no worries about a failure.

The only negative about the one I got is the Crosshairs are a little coarse for my tastes. They work just fine and this is a preference thing with me.

The Scope is offered as either a Muzzleloader Scope with Duplex Crosshairs or a Shotgun Scope with the "Turkey-Plex" reticle(crosshairs with a circle around the center.) I got the ML scope.

The level of Leupold quality has creeped down into their lower product lines so now pretty much all their products are pretty much the same quality. There may be, and I'm sure there is, some differences in the quality of the glass lenses, however I doubt there is any significant difference in the internals of the different levels.

It costs exactly the same amount to make any one of the internal machined parts that go inside so the only real differences would be in the actual lenses.

As far as that subject goes, past a certain point the amount of transmitted light and clarity must be measured with optical instruments as the Human eye cannot detect the differences. IE: you can't see the difference between 92% light transmission and 94%.

The final consideration is "can you extract the extra value from the higher priced optic?" You can only do this two ways. One is thru usage,,, and the other is thru satisfaction of ownership,,, which is a pretty subjective thing.

So the question really becomes can you get enough usage out of the optic to justify the extra expenditure of buying the higher priced line .

I have a 1-5x VX-3 that I have had mounted on two different guns. I got it used and paid $300 for it. It had been mounted to a to a Mauser Rifle in .416 Rigby by the previous owner who shot it exactly 5 times and then sold the gun,,, without the scope.

I can tell no difference between that optic and the one I just paid $220 for a couple of weeks ago. With my years of Astro Telescope optics experience I can tell the difference, and there is none that is visible to my eye.

As technology increases the level of optics manufacturing trickles down to the lower priced products. $50 binos nowadays are better than $200 binos from 20 years ago. Simply due to the elevated level of technology in lens manufacturing processes.

If I was you I'd look real close at the less expensive optic, and especially if you are mounting it on a Levergun where your ranges will be less than 200 yards... I think you will get the performance you are looking for but at a lower cost and you still get Leupold quality.

Randy
    "It's not how well you do what you know how to do,,,It's how well you do what you DON'T know how to do!"
    www.buchananprecisionmachine.com

Boolit Man

I have several VX2 and VX3 scopes. I'm happy with them all, and if the VX2 better fits your budget I'd say go for it. I'm sure you'll be satisfied with it.

Boolit Grand Master

Thanks, all. FWIW the VX-2's now have click adjustments and the latest ones no longer have a lock ring for the eyepiece. I agree with you on the optics these days, Randy. Good glass can be found at all but the lowest price points, I've had mechanical issues with scopes lately so that's what concerns me on this next one. The glass in the VX-2 looks as good (in the store) as any of my VX-3's, I've heard the coatings make the difference as the price goes up and it's difficult to notice that in a retail environment.
    One of my favorite scopes is the 1-5 VX-3 mounted on my Guide Gun. If any rifle was going to beat the innards out of a scope this one would have done it long ago. I do have a Marlin 336 in 35 Remington that I've named Scopekiller, seems to enjoy knocking things out of whack in the $200 price point scopes. Currently have a Weaver mounted on her now and it's hanging in there so far.
    Rifle I'm wanting a scope for is a 300 Savage and I don't think it will be hard on a scope, just don't want to get any better acquainted with the nice folks @ the Leupold/Redfield/Stevens service center. As far as value vs pride of ownership I'm more interested in a scope that delivers a solid value than I am in bragging about having a high-end scope. I place no value on impressing other folks, for many a Leupold is a Leupold anyway.
    Endowment Life Member NRA, Life Member TSRA, Member WACA, NRA Whittington Center, BBHC
    I hate rude behavior in a man. I won't tolerate it. -Woodrow F. Call, Lonesome Dove
    Some of my favorite recipes start out with a handful of depleted counterbalance devices.

Boolit Master
    shucks fellas, I am even happy with their rifleman series or whatever that more economically priced series is!!!
    Look twice, shoot once.

Boolit Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by nekshot View Post
    shucks fellas, I am even happy with their rifleman series or whatever that more economically priced series is!!!
    Quite honestly hadn't taken a hard look at them, seems I need to do so. Part of me wants to make this a retro project and order a fixed 4 or 6 power scope, maybe a Weaver.

I'm loving my new vari x 2. So far the clicks have been spot on and when i adjust it it moves right then and the next shot is where i want it to be.
    I understand the retro thing too, as i hunted with nothing but set power leupolds for 40 years. I don't think the set power can be beat for stability,but i have to say my new vari x 2 is taking all my 35 whelen can dish out.

Boolit Master
    I have mostly Vx-II's with a few III's, I can't really tell any difference in the glass. I too love the 1.5-5X VX-III's but the majority of mine are the 1-4X Vx-II's. My 416 Rigby runs 400 Gr. jacketed at 2,595 fps. average, and hasn't killed the Vx-II on it yet.

If you are leaning towards a fixed power, $150 got me a very nice M8 fixed 4X from Ebay. It is on a very light 300 Win. mag, and is doing just fine.

Vendor Sponsor

Tx: FYI The VX 1 I got has both click adjustments and a lock ring on the eyepiece.

This is all good but if you .300 Savage is vintage I would go the retro route as well.

I just paid $150 to get my Weaver K2.5 rebuilt to install on my 1958 Marlin 336. A newer scope just wouldn't look right.

Randy
    "It's not how well you do what you know how to do,,,It's how well you do what you DON'T know how to do!"

Boolit Grand Master

IIRC Randy it was built in 1956 but looks very much like a new gun. I think the K6 will look nice on there but need to confirm the dimensions, they're knida stingy with that info on their website. I like the longer eye relief on the Leupold VX-2 and I know it will fit. The low rings I ordered may not give me enough clearance for the 38mm objective of the Weaver but I probably have a set of medium rings around here somewhere. That Weaver looks to be a lot of scope for the money.

Boolit Grand Master

Weaver told me the K6 would fit so it's on the way. A couple of old school hunters I know are partial to fixed 6X scopes. Retro just seems right for this project. Will try the VX-2 on another rifle someday, with the rebate I may just put one on the shelf.

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by TXGunNut View Post
    Weaver told me the K6 would fit so it's on the way. A couple of old school hunters I know are partial to fixed 6X scopes. Retro just seems right for this project. Will try the VX-2 on another rifle someday, with the rebate I may just put one on the shelf.
    Enjoy that Weaver. I've still got a couple steel Weavers with posts. I've also got maybe 10 Leupold vari 2 and 3s. I think the 3X9 vari 2 is a great scope with wonderful field of view. I'm still using the 1980 model I bought for my Elk rifle with perfect satisfaction. They only came in glossy finish back then, so I've had this one teflon-coated (along with the rifle).

I also keep a 3X9 Vari-2 as a spare. As said above, the new models have click adjustments but I've never had a problem making adjustments with the old vari 2s. I HAVE had a problem with a 2.5X8 vari 3 that has clicks.

Boolit Master
    I've learned the hard way that the Leupold scope most of us can afford are not all that great. Good!, but not great. To get the quality Leupold's name carries you have to spend $$$$
    With the exception of some old steel body Weavers (that I LOVE) everything I own wears a Nikon. For same money Nikon has Leupold beat in my book.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by DeanWinchester View Post
    I've learned the hard way that the Leupold scope most of us can afford are not all that great. Good!, but not great. To get the quality Leupold's name carries you have to spend $$$$
    With the exception of some old steel body Weavers (that I LOVE) everything I own wears a Nikon. For same money Nikon has Leupold beat in my book.
    My experience is exactly the opposite. I can see a noticeable difference in optical quality between the two, and a couple of the Nikons I own have actually begun leaking grease from around the eyepiece.
    NRA Endowment Member

Armed people don't march into gas chambers.

Vendor Sponsor

Elkins: the grease is used to seal the threads so the nitrogen doesn't leak out. It usually starts to run out if the optic is left in the sun.

This is common to all optics with threaded Eyepieces.

Randy

Boolit Grand Master

I've learned the hard way that the Leupold scope most of us can afford are not all that great. Good!, but not great. To get the quality Leupold's name carries you have to spend $$$$-Dean Winchester

I've learned the hard way that sometimes the cheapest way out is to buy the best equipment I can afford. With limited and sometimes expensive hunting opportunities I can't afford scope failures so the premium Leupolds are a solid value. I just can't afford them for every rifle. Over the years I've wasted enough money on cheap scopes but today's affordable scopes are much better than many that I bought and discarded when they failed. I have a couple of Nikon Buckmasters (prefer them over the Monarch) and my binocs are Nikon Monarch. I hope the new Weavers live up to their heritage better than another recycled brand.

Boolit Master
    What's the rebate after 8/1? I looked on the leupold website and didn't see anything.
    I was a dog on a short chain.
    Now there's no chain.
    Jim Harrison

Boolit Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by historicfirearms View Post
    What's the rebate after 8/1? I looked on the leupold website and didn't see anything.
    Saw it on the Midway site, $50 on VX-2's IIRC.

Banned

Like was said even the newest vx1 has click adjustments. The newest vx1 has the same optical coatings that was used on the old vari x III and are a heck of a bang for the buck. The newest vx2s are great scopes and are as good or better opticaly then anything in there price class. The vx1s are probably the best bang for the buck of any rifle scope made.