RepackboxLee PrecisionMidSouth Shooters SupplyRotoMetals2
WidenersInline FabricationSnyders JerkyLoad Data
Reloading Everything Titan Reloading

Thread: Question for indoor range lead guys

Boolit Bub

Question for indoor range lead guys

i have had an ongoing source from an indoor shooting range (Michigan) paying scrap price for range lead
    picked up today and was told i would have to get a business license to buy any more
    he was told of a tire shop shut down for selling lead wheel weights
    i know he is trying to cover his *** as to where it (lead ) is going .

what do you indoor range lead guys do ?
    should i consider this source done ?
    any suggestions on how i mite keep this source without having to jump epa hoops ?

Boolit Buddy

What kind of license? a DBA will set you back $20 at the county courthouse.
    "Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy".
    Ben Franklin

Boolit Bub
    Kinda thinkin if file a dba then w will have to be a business not a hobby guy collecting lead for my own use

I was wondering the same thing but didn't investigate. I read somewhere it helps to get a $15 batch of business cards saying something about recycling. Add some happy talk tagline about saving the planet .
    "The urge to save humanity is almost always a false front for the urge to rule." --H. L. Menchen

Have a s corp and is set to any legal thing in Mi. PM me and will help you for a share of the profit. Always need more Profit for the lead stash. ClintClint

This is hilarious.

Not every business in Michigan is required to be licensed by the State of Michigan.”

To find out if your new venture requires a state license,use this search feature to search our licenses list to see if you need alicense or permit.
    OR...You can try this AlphabeticalSearch for Licenses and Permits
    http://www.michigan.gov/statelicensesearch/0,4671,7-180-24786---,00.html

Have mercy.
    A haw, haw, haw, haw, a haw.
    A haw, haw, haw

Quote Originally Posted by LivnDream View Post
    i have had an ongoing source from an indoor shooting range (Michigan) paying scrap price for range lead
    picked up today and was told i would have to get a business license to buy any more
    he was told of a tire shop shut down for selling lead wheel weights
    i know he is trying to cover his *** as to where it (lead ) is going .

what do you indoor range lead guys do ?
    should i consider this source done ?
    any suggestions on how i mite keep this source without having to jump epa hoops ?
    What if the range GIVES you the lead?
    Have mercy.
    A haw, haw, haw, haw, a haw.
    A haw, haw, haw

DBA (doing business as) is the least expensive option involving the county courthouse fee. Might not hurt to have a "business" checking account. LLC (limited liability company) is a bit more money but can be done online. This does involve more but makes it so you have some personal liability protection. There are differences in taxes on the two. If your business is 100% expense (loss) tax rules between the two might make a difference. Not sure if either one will require tax forms be filed but I would not be surprised.

If you sell any of the stuff you get from the range it might be considered income against the expenses of lead for your business. Not sure what the heck personal use is for tax purposes.

I guessing that the range only wants to cover their liability so a simple DBA, some business cards, and a checking account will keep their books and paperwork in order. They sold the scrap lead to a "business" that buys scrap lead so they are totally in the clear.

Boolit Bub
    Thanks for the info guys im not looking to be a business im just an old guy who likes to cast and shoot lead bullets and am collecting lead for my use.

Boolit Master
    Since indoor ranges have to be inspected for air quality concerns, the inspectot probably mentioned that EPA requires a qualified business to dispose of the hazardous material from the backstops. The owner is worried about CYA from his inspector. My scrapyard buys from the ranges and I buy from the scrapyard.

Do you get it in big rubber blocks? My scrapyard guy gave me a 12" cube to see if I wanted to buy a lot of it, 28c/lb. It was a lot of work with a recip saw cutting it up, not worth it to me.
    "The urge to save humanity is almost always a false front for the urge to rule." --H. L. Menchen

Boolit Master
    I am a member of DSC and we clean out our indoor range twice a year. I spoke to a VP about offering the lead to members. He said the DEQ/DNR would not allow it. I send a lot of lead into that range maybe I should put my name on the boolits.
    Leadmelter
    MI

Boolit Buddy

I get tons from a indoor range no issues on my end. How can they track how much you have or what you do with it?

Boolit Man
    Quote Originally Posted by Leadmelter View Post
    I am a member of DSC and we clean out our indoor range twice a year. I spoke to a VP about offering the lead to members. He said the DEQ/DNR would not allow it. I send a lot of lead into that range maybe I should put my name on the boolits.
    Leadmelter
    MI
    Indiana DNR considers lead in a berm or backstop scrap metal. You might do some digging to verify what you were told. Reclaiming that **** is more hazardous than what you do with it afterward.

Boolit Master
    My scrapyard destroys objects used in felonies. Knife, screwdriver, guns, etc. The scrapyard has to chop them when they arrive and then they send them to their smelter. What ever is brought there must be the same weight as what gets smelted. If not, they have their license pulled till the discrepancy is cleared up.

If EPA, DNR, or any other government agency wants to force the issue about hazardous material, they will.

Boolit Buddy
    Once the lead is down range, it becomes a waste. Because it’s lead it’s now a hazardous waste. If you run a commercial operation which generates hazardous waste, you must document the disposal of the waste. Same applies to tire shops as ranges. This is basically the US-EPA minimum. Your state may have enhanced rules. Here in Florida, I give tire shops a receipt for the waste material. This receipt has been reviewed by the “local” agency and deemed satisfactory. This same type of receipt should also work with range “waste”.

Fellow Michigander here!

I haven't contacted any of the local ranges about getting scrap range lead...however one private club hasn't said anything about me picking up 1-10lbs every time I'm out. I'm not mining for it or anything I just grab the slugs that are sitting on top of the berm and not getting in anyone's way or delaying anything.

I just don't understand how the EPA or any other 3 letter agency has a clue how much lead they'd have in their backstops. I mean if you are getting a ton at a time...that might be different...but still.

Quote Originally Posted by jwber View Post
    Fellow Michigander here!

I haven't contacted any of the local ranges about getting scrap range lead...however one private club hasn't said anything about me picking up 1-10lbs every time I'm out. I'm not mining for it or anything I just grab the slugs that are sitting on top of the berm and not getting in anyone's way or delaying anything.

I just don't understand how the EPA or any other 3 letter agency has a clue how much lead they'd have in their backstops. I mean if you are getting a ton at a time...that might be different...but still.
    Some transactions personal or business take place on the basis of "who is going to know the difference?" but others will attempt to follow the rules at least to the extent they can figure them out.

Sounds like the range wants to at least have some cover for how it disposed of the backstop lead if asked since being an indoor range it is not like it's all buried in a big berm outdoors, officials would know it had to go someplace.

Boolit Bub
    So have any of you guys that do range lead from indoor range ever had to deal with epa smelting down range scrap