Load DataRotoMetals2MidSouth Shooters SupplyInline Fabrication
WidenersRepackboxLee PrecisionTitan Reloading
Snyders Jerky Reloading Everything

Thread: Contemplating a self guided public land elk hunt?

Boolit Buddy

Contemplating a self guided public land elk hunt?

Any one have any advice on this? Would be next year so there's time to plan, about 6 of us planning on going. We have an RV to take. Just no idea where to go or how to decide where to go. We all just want the deer camp style man-cation. With a decent chance of success of course. Any advice or current information. Thanks much. Oh also less elevation would be better than more elevation, I know elk don't live where oxygen does but I'm hoping LOL. Oh we're all meat hunters cows would be prefered
    Last edited by shawnba67; 07-20-2014 at 09:31 AM.

Moderator Emeritus

One of my best friends and I use to go to NW Colorado every fall to hunt elk in a self guided hunt. We liked that area due to being lower in elevation and elk were fairly plentiful....most of the NW corner are by permit draw but a cow tag isn't too hard to come by.....we generally arrived a week in advance for getting use to the air (below 1 mile high) and prescout......We quit going because a lot of the land is BML and under lease and fence and hence not available to hunting.....

We used to hunt elk down around RED VALE Colorado and did well there.... a little higher but fairly easy walk....lots of BML and U S Forest land...

Good luck
    When guns are outlawed only criminals and the government will have them and at that time I will see very little difference in either!

"Within the covers of the Bible are the answers for all the problems man faces." President Ronald Reagan

"We must reject the idea that every time a law's broken, society is guilty rather than the law breaker. It is time to restore the American precept that each individual is acoutable for his actions." Presdent Ronald Reagan

Boolit Buddy
    Thanks for the advice. I have no idea what bml is though? Bureau land management ?

In Remembrance
    Check out the Gila in New Mexico, lots of elk and fairly low elevation. The cow tags are pretty easy to draw (or used to be), but may be spendy.

That is a dream of mine. the deer here in FL are not to big unless you get on a good lease and they are hard to find. been on a lease in Ga for two years looking for some big boys. keep us posted on your hunt would be nice to plan in a few years.
    Bobby

Vendor Sponsor
    It is pricey but the elk populations in Nevada are zooming. I would expect that in the next 5 years or so a nonresident cow tag should be fairly easy to draw and you can party for cow elk now. The elk here haven't seen the pressure that states like CO sees. And the state is about 87% public land as in free access. Very few elk on private land like other western states. I took my 6 point 338 bull back in 2000 on the second day of season on a self guided public land hunt. Just me and the wife. Lately I have been hunting cow elk near Ely NV in the Mt Grafton wilderness. You can find info by googling NDOW.

Boolit Buddy
    Public land in Co at Dolores. Easy to hunt areas with quite a large population of elk. There are great places to camp as well as great roads. You can hunt many different elevations but the only downside.is have the herds migrated down in the season. If you hunt area 52 for instance, you can only hunt that area, so, you have to do homework on where the elk are before you hunt. Go down a few days before your season and drive through the diff areas asking hunters.

Boolit Bub
    Public land in Arizona would be a good choice. There is a lot of information including YouTube videos of people scouting and hunting. Look into hunting units by Flagstaff, you should be able to get a cow tag relatively easy.

Moderator Emeritus

Six is a large party to hunt out of one camp where I hunt. Tell everyone in the party they stay home unless they can run three miles without stopping. Get a good plan what to do with a 450 lb animal when it is on the ground. Several Youtube videos of how to pack out an Elk are illegal to do in Montana because of the meat wasted. Buy more maps than you think you might ever need, search them for saddles, cover and access. When it is -10 F an Elk thinks it is a nice comfortable day so remember that as you plan.
    [The Montana Gianni] Front sight and squeeze

Boolit Master
    It can be hard to draw but if you can draw tags on the CMR (Charlie M. Russell) refuge in central/eastern Montana those Missouri Breaks have a nice elk herd and the going isn't too tough, elevation is low but the hills are rugged. If you can draw there it's easily accessible and if you're any kind of hunter at all you should be successful.

Moderator Emeritus

Lovedogs, no one in our party of 4 drew in the breaks this season [cow tags]. From what we saw last year our 2 out of 3 with the third guy getting a shot was in the high 90% range. Most hunted for a week with no shots.
    [The Montana Gianni] Front sight and squeeze

Boolit Master
    Gianni...As is often the case it's a matter of access to good land. I used to hunt coyotes for several ranchers in that area so had good access but I've noted that it's harder and harder to get permission on private land nowadays...too many leasing to outfitters or charging for access. I've hunted Montana for over forty years and can honestly say it's not what it used to be. Access used to be a given but not anymore.

Boolit Man
    You are wise in asking questions first. Elk can be found from the ocean beaches in Oregon/Washington to the most
    remote lands west of the Mississippi. If you are not experienced in remote hunting in rugged country you
    should definitely find easier terrain. And remember, the real work begins when the elk hits the ground.
    Have fun! Oh, don't believe the malarky about needing a long range super magnum rifle. Those that haven't
    learned to stalk game depend on the big guns. Take something in the 30-06 class or a bit bigger that you
    can shoot comfortably, and most important - accurately. Premium ammo is worth it. Let us know how you do!