Load DataMidSouth Shooters SupplyWidenersReloading Everything
Lee PrecisionRotoMetals2RepackboxInline Fabrication
Titan Reloading Snyders Jerky
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: annealing

Banned

Hey yonky, old bean.

You got any post where you don't flog your wares?

Quote Originally Posted by yonky View Post
    James how big is a sheet for $15? I have .012" in coil form in litho spec (3103 half hard) slit to suit any tool.

right in the middle of england"birthplace of the industrial revolution"
    Quote Originally Posted by cdngunner View Post

Hey yonky, old bean.

You got any post where you don't flog your wares?
    lol only trying to help you poor colonials find what you want
    Sir Winston Churchill said "You can always count on Americans to do the right thing - after they've tried everything else."

Quote Originally Posted by Sagebrush7 View Post
    I looked up the physical properties of lithographic plate and have ordered the same tensile strength aluminum rolled sheeting. Being certified it is more expensive but not as exspensive as C210 copper. Hornady is using C210 copper for there checks. By me matching the same tensile strength of material, I believe Sages Outdoors will have a superior product for there customers.
    Interested in what you've come up with....PM sent

right in the middle of england"birthplace of the industrial revolution"
    James I relied to your question on your company email as the personal messages on here would not send, have you received it?
    Sir Winston Churchill said "You can always count on Americans to do the right thing - after they've tried everything else."

In Remembrance
    Got it and appreciate the update.

I came by a large amount of lithographic plate material. Only problem was that it was .008 thick. On a whim I placed two discs in the cup and formed a .016 check. One in four or so come apart when removed (one in cup one stuck on punch) And are just discarded as I have a lot of scrap. This makes a check that works well with my Mosin boolits sized .315 when run through the sizer they look as if they were cast in place. GP

Depending on the Al alloy you could be hardening it with that soak temp (age hardening / solid solution hardening)

Cu Zn alloys harden by cold work (increase the dis-location density)

Sagebrush7 i recieved the new checks today. Have to say they look perfect and snap on tight, can't wait to try them. This .010" check definitly has a different feel to it than what i've tried in the past. I need to ht some boolits tonight and see how they size on and go shoot em!

In Remembrance
    35 shooter don't aneal those checks they will not spring back in the limited testing i have done. They should take you beyond 1800 fps with accuracy with everthing being equal. I have a new to me Savage 110 30-06 and i can't wait to try them out.
    Shoots real very well with j-boolits in the tuperware stock I will be pillar bedding the new walnut stock in the next month and hopefully get it sighted in before deer season.

Quote Originally Posted by 35 shooter View Post
    Sagebrush7 i recieved the new checks today. Have to say they look perfect and snap on tight, can't wait to try them. This .010" check definitly has a different feel to it than what i've tried in the past. I need to ht some boolits tonight and see how they size on and go shoot em!

I'm not heat treating the checks, just the boolits. I do anneal my homeade ameri max al. as it shoots best that way. I'll shoot the ones you sent without ht. I'm hoping this works and eliminates the ht step i have to do with ameri max al.
    Hoping to try em out this weekend with some proven loads. I think they're gonna work just fine.
    You sure make a fine looking check!

Sagebrush7 I like this new al. check material you have so far. They have a light snap on fit on my 35 cal. .241 and .242" shanks. I just give them a light tap on the bench and they're on nice and flat. Once sized they don't come off even sized to .360". I can't pry them off.
    I've got some 358009 boolits ht and ready to load. Just wish i had some rem. brass that wasn't about worn out to try em in. I've got just enough of them left to hunt with.
    I've got some new hornady brass but it came out much shorter than my rem. brass by .010"
    I'll load and shoot them and see what happens.
    I did try 6 rounds loaded with my old rem. brass with a 358009 280 gr. boolit with 48 gr. imr 4350 for 1950 fps. in my 35 whelen the other day with your checks.
    The first 4 went into less than .7" @ 100 yds. The next 2 cases had cracked necks from fatigue. All six were still in about 1 1/2" overall.
    The brass had been fired well in excess of 60 times. If i didn't have to flare the necks to seat a boolit, i think my rem. brass would still be going strong lol. Hope the hornadys do as good.

Boolit Buddy
    I anneal Cu and Al checks by loading a batch in a little aluminum cat-food tray sat on top of my alloy melt pots for half an hour, intentionally letting the air work on the hot checks. As well as the anneal, I get a fine layer of a soot of unknown composition, that gets inside the exposed hot-checks, it acts like some sort of glue when I crimp them on, they stay on good, much better.

I am glad Yonky has dived in here. I was about to suggest you talk to him. I have used his half hard and soft aluminium, both work well. I use 0.015" and the coil it comes in is so convenient, no need to cut it, just feed it into the Freechex tool. My gas checks appear to grip tight and I have had no cause to believe they are springing back after sizing. I use them for my .30 calibre rifles and size from .310" up to .314" with the same checks.

Simon

I should have read the second page of this thread before I posted. I only saw Yonky's first post. Still his aluminium is good!!

Simon.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12