Lee PrecisionInline FabricationRepackboxLoad Data
WidenersMidSouth Shooters SupplySnyders JerkyTitan Reloading
RotoMetals2 Reloading Everything
Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst 123456

Thread: Scavenging reloading supplies

Banned
    Dear Hamish,

Exactly as you say.

I hope today arrive my 357 mag RCBS taper crimp dies (yes taper crimp), various molds and other reloading stuff. I have alredy the Rough Rider (Pietta) 357 mag model 1873 and works fine (till now just Winchester Hollow Point 110 grain White box ammo) and shoots as precise as the 9mm does.

You are rigth. Reduced loads imply automatically you MUST check if the bullet Exits the Barrel.
    I experimented with home made black powder and 2 times I had to hammer out an stuck bullet from the 9mm SD9VE. 2 times I loaded 9mm with "black powder" and both times a complete failure (hammer out the bullet). Fortunatelly I can not see any damage to the rifling. The primers make burn the "black powder" but it does not burn quick enough neither has it enough energy (feels like a squib load). If only I could manage to mke Black Powder I would use just that.
    I tried all Kind of stuff making "Blackpowder". KNO3 + sugar. KNO3+charcoal+sulfur (regular 75-15-10 recipe). KNO3+sugar+sulfur. It never burned quick enough and never had enough energy. I managed to load right full an 12 ga shotshell with this homemade black powder but it had a too less energy and 1 oz shot fell onto earth after 8 meters about. Seemed to have burned but Performance just was not near satisfactory. First I cooked the Blackpowder whatever the Internet said but if was dangerous and had more than one fire. So I fabricated a ball mill which works fine but the Blackpowder result was not satisfactory. So I left it and turned to scavenging shotshells (that was my backup plan) for reloading and that worked very well.
    I just ordered 10000 Winchester WSP small pistol primers (are here a Little over the double of the US Price). That will last me a Long time since reloading is fairly slow with scavenging and I reload in order to be Independent and save Money.

If you have an ball mill recipe for Blackpowder what really works I would be appreciated.

Quote Originally Posted by AJG View Post
    If I go to Cast Boolits I DO NOT see an heading with "Forum Tools". There is just None. Neither there is a inverted triangle. If I go to my Profile it says Error: main page error.
    You need 30 posts, and 30 days as a member to be able to create new threads.

Boolit Master
    Just glad I've never felt so desperate for components that scavenging for powder by destroying perfectly good shotgun shells sounded like a good idea.

Quote Originally Posted by Hamish View Post
    BTW, where are his "many sources of pistol powder other than the LGS"?
    If you'll re read my post, you'll see that those comments were directed to the OP. I listed some of those options in earlier posts.

1) order online (lots of options there)
    2) trade with other reloaders (lead for powder has been done before)
    3) get local store to order powder for your (I've done it during the shortage)

As far as our Latin friend, all I can say is it's pretty amazing what can come into any country via diplomatic pouch. Find some friends who travel to the US. Make some friends in the local police or military and get ammo from them. I've done all four in my younger years.

Banned

AJG there is one [and I think 2] good write ups on making home made black powder here on this site.
    try a quick search they should pop up.

Banned
    2 of my molds have arrived. It seems like an wonder. National gun agency let it Import and I hope the other molds (9mm Luger and 38 spl) are arriving as well soon. Customs put an hefty Charge on it about the double of the Price so each mold costing in the US about 45 US$ costs here then 100 US$ (shipping and handling included. That is the endprice). Not that all bad.
    I believe the 2 molds what arrived are the Lee #4 buckshot mold and the Lee 7/8 oz slug mold. At least with this I can fully modify my shotgun loads (birdshot is transformed into Buck&Ball, Buckshot or slug in a cheap way). That saves about 50% of the cost of an Buckshot vs birdshot.

Boolit Master
    AJG, I just have to say I'm enjoying your posts. I wish I could share a coffee with you. I have a Brazilian friend who Summer's up here in VT, she's very cool too.

Thread starter is not difficult, on computer version just look at the top left above where the threads start. It says "Post New Thread," and there you go! You cannot delete a thread once you post it, FYI.

Not sure how on Tapatalk, haven't done it there yet...

Oh–just read the '30 days and 30 posts" post. Didn't know that.

One more thought–please don't blow yourself up with your experiments! I would miss your posts

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by bangerjim View Post
    Bad........BAD..........BAD idea!!!!!!!!! Probably the worst I have read about on here!

You do not know what powder is in there. 9mm is perhaps the trickiest/hardest cal to load due to extremely low head space and over all case volume. Even with known powders, 9 is still VERY tricky. You just might get by with 38SPL or 45LC with that pulled powder (big forgiving cases), but I still would NEVER use it in anything but the shells it comes in.

Shot is waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaay to hard to cast with, Use it to alloy with pure to get what you want/need.

But do NOT take 12ga shells apart for the parts!!!!!!!!!!!

As said above.....let us know when you will be at the range........we will stay home!

Please.......forget it and keep looking for KNOWN pistol and shotgun powders IN BOTTLES with KNOWN LOAD DATA.

Like said above........if it was a good idea.......it would already be all over this forum!!!!!!!

bangerjim
    nope! the worst thread on here was one i started about using flash powder from fire crackers ....while it was only a thought AND i even said in the thread that i WAS NOT going to try it ...all i said was WHAT IF.....and i got so many hate, you are stupid, don't do it type replies all because most here DO NOT really read the o.p. opening statement.

that was the worst thread on here!