Snyders JerkyLee PrecisionWidenersReloading Everything
Titan ReloadingInline FabricationLoad DataRepackbox
MidSouth Shooters Supply RotoMetals2
Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: Scavenging reloading supplies

Boolit Master
    Am having a problem finding Bullseye. So I went with Unique. It does it all.

Quote Originally Posted by Texantothecore View Post
    Am having a problem finding Bullseye. So I went with Unique. It does it all.
    It's a bit dirty with low power loads. Load above medium, and it cleans up quite a bit. A very useful and flexible powder.

Boolit Master
    i've read about and the Alliant confirms the "new" Unique is cleaner than the older versions..

Boolit Master
    Dudel, thanks for tip on loading Unique. My expectation is that 255 grn 725 fps will be the ticket.
    Last edited by Texantothecore; 07-28-2016 at 08:32 AM.

Banned
    Has anyone experience with reloading 30-30 Winchester caliber with Unique powder. (With Unique I mean any powder type with similar burn rate like the local Saga shotshell scavenged powder).

308 Winchester is not allowed to have here in Southamerica but 30-30 Winchester is allowed so that would be an alternative for reloading those cartridges with Unique type powder or Titegroup type powder.
    Obviously it will be an reduced power load but nevertheless somewhat similar to 223 energy Levels. Please do not tell me it is a bad idea (because I know it is potentially dangerous but I have no other Option than reload with scavenged shotgun powders).
    As well tell which Charge of Unique/Titegroup gave overpressure signs (only if you have personal experience with this). No hearsay please since it is an potential dangenrous endeavour!

Anyone any idea which is Maximum Charge for reloading 30-30 Win cartridges with Unique and/or Titegroup powder? Please indicate Charge in grains, velocity and energy (ft/lbs) if you have personal experience with reloading 30-30 win with any of These powders. No hearsay please since all I write I write out of personal experience (I have done it).

Boolit Master

AJG,

You might get more responses if you start a new thread.
    I give loading advice based on my actual results in factory rifles with standard chambers, twist rates and basic accurizing.
    My goals for using cast boolits are lots of good, cheap, and reasonably accurate shooting, while avoiding overly tedious loading processes.
    The BHN Deformation Formula, and why I don't use it.
    How to find and fix sizing die eccentricity problems.
    Do you trust your casting thermometer?
    A few musings.

Banned
    How do I start a new threath?

Banned
    I do not know how to start a new threath so if anyone could tell me.
    Meanwhile I continue here.

I have a Problem:
    Reloading 9mm I realised the cases do get shorter instead of getting to Long. So I never Need to trim them if it continues like this. As I understand cases should Stretch with each firinr and reloading but mine 9mm shrink instead. Allmost all are Winchester brand and fired at least 10 to 20 times each.
    Is something wrong?
    Lyman 48th reloading Manual states for 9mm Luger:
    1. Over all length of max 1.169" and I get between 1.135" and 1.149" (Hornady 9mm taper crimp II 3 die set). i realised the FMJ Winchester bullets I use are not equally Long.
    2. Case mouth Diameter (where it headspaces and were the bullet enters the case) 0.380" and I get about 0.376" fully loaded and taper crimped case; and 0.370" with an resized empty case. I try to taper crimp the less possible.
    3. Case length 0.754" and I get if case is deprimed and resized 0.746".
    4. Trim to length is 0.751" and shall not be less. But I am allways below that number between 0.740" to 0.748" (case length).

It seems cases are SHRINKING INSTEAD OF STRETCHING with 10 to 20 reloads. Cases have no signs of cracks or fatigue. Loads are Minimum loads where the pistol cycles reliably.

Quote Originally Posted by AJG View Post
    It seems cases are SHRINKING INSTEAD OF STRETCHING with 10 to 20 reloads. Cases have no signs of cracks or fatigue. Loads are Minimum loads where the pistol cycles reliably.
    Straight wall cases tend to shrink, bottleneck cases tend to stretch.

Boolit Master

Edge of The Crab Orchard National Wildlife Refuge
    Dudel,

Was just reading your posts trying to warn of the "danger" of scavenging shotgun powder.

Respectfully, you've been a member here far long enough that I'm very surprised that you've not run across at least one of the many posts that have discussed using bottom end start load data for the fastest powder listed in a low to medium volume straight wall pistol cartridge (.38, .357, .45) to be able to pinpoint its burn rate. Many, many members have posted on it, all the way back to Aimoo. (It's not talked about a lot, because of misconceptions but they're out there). I've seen a couple of threads where leftovers of similar burn rates have been mixed and worked up in this manner safely.

If a listed load for say .38 spl. is 3.5 gr of Titegroup, then how can you possibly get into dangerous territory using 3.5 gr. of a surplus or scavenged powder.

Honestly, that's how much of the load info on this site was figured out to start with.

BTW, not calling you out by posting this instead of by PM, just wanted those that follow behind to know.
    More "This is what happened when I,,,,," and less "What would happen if I,,,,"

Last of the original Group Buy Honcho's.

"Dueling should have never been made illegal in this country. It settled lots of issues between folks."- Char-Gar

Boolit Master
    AJG, do you resize your brass?

If you want some load data I can probably send it to you via email. And you can check the powder manufacturers for free brochures and loads (hodgdon, alliant, winchester and some bullet makers as speer have load data). If things are in your country like they're in Brazil, a simple manual would cost valuable money, which could be better spent on ammo.

I've been thinking about the square powder you mention from the shotshells and only ones I remember with that shape are Vectan (nobel) and B&P (italy). There might be others but... we can never use the shape and color alone to identify powder. Like others said, it's better to assume a fastest powder and start low.

You're happy if you can have a 30-30. I've been considering "planting a seed" (that is asking for the Army license for reloading and maybe getting a restricted caliber which takes about one year) only to learn Taurus/Rossi Rio Grande is a "grande porcaria" (great Bad word) and is not available to us.

Use the search option of the forums, there's a great many threads on the Unique + 30-30 cast loads (some say 10 , others up to 8.5gr and so on).

Good luck

Banned

Scavenging shotshells for reloading IS 100% SAFE as I have proven it in real life!!!!

Thanks victorfox and dudel as well as Hamish,

dudel: Ok. Then 9mm, 38 spl and 357 mag will SHRINK instead of Stretch. Very good it saves me at first an case trimmer. Although the cases y reloaded about 15 times shrank already below Trim-To-size length. So they are getting allways shorter and shorter.

victorfox: I have the Hornady carbide 9mm/9x21 Taper crimp II 3 die set so obviously I SIZE THE WHOLE CARTRIDGE ALLWAYS (full resizing). 9mm: First step is full resize and decap then secon die is mouth bell so justa barely an FMJ can seat then last die just barely crimps (undoing the case mouth bell) and seats.
    Load data is on Internet and I downloaded Lymans Reloading Manuals in pdf (44th Edition and 48th, as well as Colonel E.H. Harrissons cast bullets book and Lyman cast bullets reloading Manual). That is enough ebooks I downloaded for free (obviously I would never pay for an ebook as well neither buy an reloading Manual for Money). I rather spend some spare Money on more shotshells, primers (ordered 6000 Winchester WSP and they are arriving about September. I have 600 WLR Winchester Large Rifle primers) and wheelweights.
    I will not induce anybody to illegal activities!!! But you could send me a few Kg of Vectan powder or CBC. My mail forewarder has an Office in Brasil as well. I could wire you the Money to your bank account. Again: I will not be liable to induce anybody for any illegal activities!!!!
    My mail forewarder and FFL registered gun shop just told me they can bring me all reloading Equipment but are not registred for transporting powders. Apparently it sounds as it is allowed to Import the powder from the US but they can not Transport it.
    Please be not that sad if you can have ONLY till an 380 acp and 38 spl in Brazil. Those are respectfull weapons. Just get Close to 9mm power Levels. I myself load my 9mm down since it recoils then less in the SD9VE. My Registration just arrived for the 357 mag Heritage (Pietta) 1873 "Peacemaker" Revolver so I will have it on sunday.
    Lyman 44th Manual says 30-30 min load 8 grains with Unique. That is an very slow load and gives you about 1370 fps and 625 lbs/ft energy. It is too less energy to consider it as a valuable rifle round since it has at 245 Yards a drop of 44 Inch, is there at 5 mil dots and has 336 ft-lb energy (equal to an 9mm). Your range is too short if reloaded 30-30 at 8 grain Unique since 245 meters is very short range.
    In my Country I have no exact idea what is legal or not (because of the corruption and crooks). If it passes customs we consider it automatically as legal. If customs does not let it pass we know it is illegal. If you have a "brave" importer, it is legal if he manage to bringe it (in These Kind of countries perhaps only God knows what is legal or not).
    Yes I realised as well Taurus is a big "besteira" as brasilians would perhaps call it. My local gun shot got rid of all Taurus brand since "they are ****" as they say. Too much Trouble with them and NO WARRANTY WHATSOEVER. It seems Taurus USA offers an better product as Taurus Brasil (in the US they maybe are not getting away ripping of People and customers).

Hamish: You seems to be a smart guy and very experienced. Congrats!
    Yes that is what I did. I compared burn rate on YouTube of various powders and burned my shotgun powder. Looked like Unique regards burn speed. So I started with Unique Minimum load. That Minimum load I reduced drastically to be on the safe side. from there (3.5 grains) I loaded 5 rounds. They shot fine (no Explosion. I had an full face mask, leather gloves, jacket on in case the pistol would explode). Did not cycle reliably. So another 5 rounds I loaded to 4 grains. Shot fine but no reliable cycling. Loaded to 4.2 grains and got a stove pipe. Again loaded to 4.4 grains and all went fine. So I settled finally on 4.3 grains with Unique type powder. The other powder (Titegroup type) I loaded to 4.3 as well but wnted to know ist Minimum so finally it allways cycled reliable with 3.9 grains and now I got down to 3.8 grains with success (but got one stovepipe. Probably the rail Mount on top hindered ist full ejection).
    For me this is the ONLY WAY and IT IS A FAFE WAY to reload in USSR-world-countries. Just use your head.

Ok. 'nuff talking for today.

Banned
    anyone can tell me how I can start a new thread?

Quote Originally Posted by AJG View Post
    anyone can tell me how I can start a new thread?
    AJG go to the top of this thread and click on the "cast boolits" you will see a link to "start a new thread" click and bob's your uncle

good luck

Banned
    It seems I have not enabled +start an new thread. I do not know why. Shows up just +Reply to thread Repy Reply with Quote and nothing else. So I guess I can not start a new thread.

Quote Originally Posted by Hamish View Post
    Dudel,

Was just reading your posts trying to warn of the "danger" of scavenging shotgun powder.

Respectfully, you've been a member here far long enough that I'm very surprised that you've not run across at least one of the many posts that have discussed using bottom end start load data for the fastest powder listed in a low to medium volume straight wall pistol cartridge (.38, .357, .45) to be able to pinpoint its burn rate. Many, many members have posted on it, all the way back to Aimoo. (It's not talked about a lot, because of misconceptions but they're out there). I've seen a couple of threads where leftovers of similar burn rates have been mixed and worked up in this manner safely.

All well and good. Do you recommend the practice for newly minted reloaded (as the OP posted); because I don't. He asked for an opinion, I and several others told him it was not a great idea. Particularly when there are many sources of pistol powder other than the LGS.

Boolit Master
    Quote "It seems I have not enabled +start an new thread. I do not know why. Shows up just +Reply to thread Repy Reply with Quote and nothing else. So I guess I can not start a new thread."

AJG---Go to this “Cast Boolits” main page (the one withthe “Stickies” above the headings). At the top you will see a heading “ForumTools”. Click on the little inverted triangle (arrow) and a drop-down listappears. The first choice is “Start a new thread”. Hope this helps.
    R.D.M.

Banned
    If I go to Cast Boolits I DO NOT see an heading with "Forum Tools". There is just None. Neither there is a inverted triangle. If I go to my Profile it says Error: main page error.

Boolit Buddy
    AJG, go to the "cast boolit" forum page that lists all the threads. On the left side is a small link with a plus sign- post new thread. Good luck Amigo
    luvtn

Boolit Master

Edge of The Crab Orchard National Wildlife Refuge
    Quote Originally Posted by dudel View Post
    All well and good. Do you recommend the practice for newly minted reloaded (as the OP posted); because I don't. He asked for an opinion, I and several others told him it was not a great idea. Particularly when there are many sources of pistol powder other than the LGS.
    Just to clarify. No, this is not the route I would recommend for a novice reloader.

AJG has stated (more than once) that he cannot buy powder in his country.

May I suggest re reading post number 61. This gentleman has proceeded with logic and caution AFTER contacting the manufacturer and receiving their burn rate report and accompanying information.

My hat is off to him for making do in a viable, economical manner.

AJG, I'm sure you realise, but just to reinforce the thought, anytime you are working up from below listed start points in the load data, be very aware of the possibility of a bullet not exiting the barrel.

(I've dealt with this myself when trying to come up with a very low speed load in a wildcat cartridge with a surplus powder that had very little known load data.)

BTW, where are his "many sources of pistol powder other than the LGS"?
    Last edited by Hamish; 08-01-2016 at 09:29 PM.
    More "This is what happened when I,,,,," and less "What would happen if I,,,,"

Last of the original Group Buy Honcho's.

"Dueling should have never been made illegal in this country. It settled lots of issues between folks."- Char-Gar

Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast