Load DataInline FabricationRotoMetals2MidSouth Shooters Supply
Lee PrecisionReloading EverythingRepackboxTitan Reloading
Snyders Jerky Wideners
Page 1 of 6 123456 LastLast

Thread: Scavenging reloading supplies

Boolit Mold

Scavenging reloading supplies

Hey there guys, its my first post here. I am a serious gun owner turning reloader.
    In my search for 9mm reloading components I have found it near impossible to find any powder
    After reading about different handgun loads and seeing a lot of people using shotgun powder for their pistol loads it gave me an idea....
    Maybe I can buy bulk Federal 12ga target loads and scavenge them for their powder and lead! 100rd pack at my local wallyworld is $19.96, so I decided to do the math...
    if I did a 3.5gr powder charge I could get about 450 9mm loads and almost as many cast 115gr bullets with the lead shot from them.
    Of course I would have to build up a load to fing out what would be the best charge per velocity.

I just thought I'd post this to see if anyone had the same idea and what you all think about the idea.
    If anyone has done something of this sort and could give their insight that would be great!

I look forward to hearing from all you experienced folk!

Boolit Master
    Never thought about it. I got into reloading about 20 years ago, seriously got into it in 08 after componets got scarce.

Welcome to the madness. Let us know when you start saving money from handloading hee heee!
    Lab

Stop, that has bad news written all over it. Also, the lead shot in federal bulk packs is not anywhere near soft enough to obturate to seal the bore. Also being a small case as 9mm is, it is very sensitive to powder charge and bullet depth. This is no way to start your reloading career. Get manuals, follow them, be safe.

Boolit Master
    I think that if my first experience with reloading would have been taking down shotshells, using the lead to cast boolits and using the unknown take down powder from them extrapolating the burn rate and working up a load for a 9mm no less (not one of the kinder cartridges for cast IMO) I would have quit shortly thereafter.
    Yes it's possible, no I wouldn't do it short of the end of days and I could find no ammunition for my 9mm.

Boolit Mold
    I figured maybe the shot would be the wrong density for casting bullets...
    The powder however, I can't imagine being that different than what is used to reload shotgun shells... its not like its rifle powder I'm trying to experiment with in pistol loads. Shotgun powder has been well documented as being a great powder for pistol loads and is even has manufacture load data for certain shotgun powders to be used in pistol loads.
    I'd be able to scavenge around 450 pistol loads from the 100 shotgun shells which ends up being $0.04 a powder charge if I am to only use just the powder from the shells.
    Although I understand everyone's concerns but I see it as little different than if I had loaded 100 shot shells with bulk powder than decide I would rather have pistol cartridges so I pull apart the shells and put the powder to use in the handgun rounds.

Boolit Master
    Key to your last statement is "certain" powders. No telling what's in the shotgun loads. Buy some powder that you know exactly what it is to use.

BEST ADVICE EVER IS TO FIND A LOCAL MENTOR WHO KNOWS WHAT THEY ARE DOING!!!

Even expensive powder is cheaper than the gun you plan on using, your hand, your face and appendages of everyone else unfortunate enough to be around when that boom happens!
    “To be yourself in a world that is constantly trying to make you something else is the greatest accomplishment.”― Ralph Waldo Emerson

Boolit Master
    Tim, you're barking up a tree that has a lot of trouble staring down at you. Your interpretation or analysis of shotshell powders is misguided at best.
    I have danced with the Devil. She had excellent attorneys.

Boolit Grand Master

Back in the woods a piece, just outside Auburn, AL.
    Powder is coming back. My LGS was loaded with BlueDot today. 'First time I've seen that in a year and a half.

But if you wanna do this...
    KE4GWE - - - - - - Colt 1860, it just feels right.

While it may sound OK, factory shotshells don't use the same exact powders as those available to reloaders. They may be similar but they are tweaked to meet performance specs for a particular load. In other words in a particular load they may use what might be called H 110 but it's a special formulation of H 110 specifically made for that load.There is no way to know the exact burning rate and it may be faster or slower than canister H 110.

Honestly.. you could order 1# of powder and even with the shipping and hazmat fee it would be the same cost or cheaper than what you propose with less work.

The lead on the other hand isn't as much an issue. It can be mixed with a softer lead for the desired hardness.

Boolit Mold
    Valid points. I guess I'll be waiting to get my hands on some powder that has load data for what I want to do.

Boolit Master
    Where are you located? Posting would help get you a tip on a mentor or powder possibly.
    “To be yourself in a world that is constantly trying to make you something else is the greatest accomplishment.”― Ralph Waldo Emerson

Now in the days of powder drought, we as reloaders have to think on our feet.
    1) information is king. I'm sure you've been advised to have a good reloading manual (Lyman's cast bullet manual for one). I own about 6 in various vintages.
    2) from these manuals I built a cheat sheet of powders applicable for a given cartridge I'm working with.
    3) That sheet goes with me anytime I'm in a shop with supplies. This way I can see what my options really are.
    4) start cruising online. With some diligence and patience, you can score some powder.

Pulling down powder from shotgun shells I suppose could be doable, it would just be a challenge to find a point to start out. The lead for sure can be used.

Boolit Grand Master bedbugbilly's Avatar
    Bored1 has a great suggestion - if you'd post your location, maybe someone here will be able to guide you to where you can get some powder. If there's nothing nearby - they can suggest a mail order possibility?

Welcome to the forum! Don't give up - be patient and you'll find some. In the meantime, study your manuals and get as much information as you can before you start. Figure out what you options are as far as powders and what you want to do. Good luck to you!

Boolit Master

I understand the desire to scrounge and be resourceful. I once loaded .45 ACP with my .45 colt dies. I used a piece of rifle brass to bell my cases. Point being, I 'get' the desire to scrounge things.

But in your case, it's a horribly bad idea. You have no idea what sort of burn rate the powder in those shells has. Post your location - heck, someone might give you a half-pound of powder to get you started.

Boolit Master
    I've melted lots of lead shot making boolits, it's quite fine for the task. But using powder in the way you suggest is a bad idea at best.

Boolit Buddy
    Using or buying powder in other than a factory sealed container is a bad idea...............

Moderator Emeritus

I wouldn't do it. To many variations on the powder as was stated previously. If you post your location, you may be near enough for someone to help get you started. I would rather spend a few extra bucks and know what I am getting than to take a chance like that. Good luck.

Ron

Banned

If you were close to me I would trade you some powder and/or lead for some Federal shells. I wouldn't be afraid to do what you are proposing but I have 50 years of reloading experience under my belt.

Boolit Grand Master

Bad Idea!
    1Shirt!
    "Common Sense Is An Uncommon Virtue" Ben Franklin

"Ve got too soon old and too late smart" Pa.Dutch Saying

An interesting idea, but only true desperation would lead to its employ. Gunbot is your friend in regards to components.
    "Of all the things I've lost, I miss my mind the most." A. Brilliant

Page 1 of 6 123456 LastLast