Inline FabricationSnyders JerkyTitan ReloadingMidSouth Shooters Supply
Lee PrecisionLoad DataReloading EverythingRotoMetals2
Repackbox Wideners

Thread: G42 update and review

Boolit Master

G42 update and review

I said I wouldn't have one but......I was delivering an order to one of my vendors when the discussion of the new G42 came up. He indicated the earlier ones might have had a few issues but Glock has made some improvements and the seem to be really sweet now. He asked if I have had the chance to mess with them yet. I indicated no but might be interested if the price were right.
    Being in the business of making bullets and ammo, I pick up test platforms if the opportunity comes along. Lets just say the price was Incredible. He wanted me to develop an accuracy load for it and basically gave it to me at cost for that purpose.
    Recently I had Tom build me a set of molds for my bullet master for Hy-tek no lube groove in the 35-095Z. This was the perfect opportunity to see how the new molds run in the new Glock. Sized at .357 in 2-6-92 and coated with 3 coats of 1035 gold over a dose of Bullseye, these things are wow. No fte, ftf, and get this.....2" at 25 yds.
    My only complaint so far is the plastic sights and the stiff trigger but I should remedy that soon. It breaks really clean but I feel certain it is over the 5.5 advertised pounds. Sights are available now and I feel for certain someone will offer a different connector soon.
    I loaded up 350 or so just a bit ago for some more serious testing out to 50yds or so. I will really run it through it's paces tomorrow. I was dodging rainstorms this afternoon but it is supposed to be fair in the morning. I hope tomorrow continues to impress like today. I will update after my range session. In the meantime here are some pictures.

molds
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails image.jpg  
    Our house is protected by the Good Lord and a gun and you might meet them both if you show up here not welcome son!

Boolit Master
    sorry I can only add one attachment at a time. Here are the boolits.
    Our house is protected by the Good Lord and a gun and you might meet them both if you show up here not welcome son!

Boolit Master
    and here is the new g42. Notice the relation of the size of the gun to the tube of Flitz that will be polishing the internals shortly....... 25 cent trigger job to smooth it out in a bit.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	image.jpg 
Views:	39 
Size:	83.2 KB 
ID:	111132
    Tomorrow I will post some targets as they got soaked in the rainstorms today.

Forgot to mention as always with HT supercoat zero leading!

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	image.jpg 
Views:	41 
Size:	41.7 KB 
ID:	111133

When I take picture with my Ipad I can add multiple pics. Figured it out!
    Last edited by kweidner; 07-19-2014 at 07:17 PM.

Haven't had the opportunity to shoot mine yet. Got a great price on it as well. Gotta love LE pricing.

Does your gun have a magazine disconnect? IE will it fire with the mag removed?

Randy
    "It's not how well you do what you know how to do,,,It's how well you do what you DON'T know how to do!"
    www.buchananprecisionmachine.com

Boolit Master
    Just got back from the range. Ran 150 with absolute zero issues. Had to scooch the sights about a 16th to the right to center the target. Averaged about 2.5" at 25yds. Stretched it out to 50yds and proceeded to punch a whole mag on my 10x10 armor plate. I would say in the grand scheme of things, despite the heavy trigger, I managed over 95% hits at 50. Wow! I tried everything I could think of grip wise to try to get a FTE or FTF. No joy! Just what I want! This is going to be my CCW. Never was able to do those kind of groups with my TCP. Haven't had a chance to do the 25c trigger job yet. figure those groups will shrink when I do. That trigger is a bit heavy. I will post pics later on this afternoon when I snatch them off my phone.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by W.R.Buchanan View Post
    Does your gun have a magazine disconnect? IE will it fire with the mag removed?

Randy
    No disconnect..... it will fire wo magazine. I prefer it that way.

Good!

Randy
    "It's not how well you do what you know how to do,,,It's how well you do what you DON'T know how to do!"

Boolit Grand Master FergusonTO35's Avatar
    Lookin' good. I think a 42 is in my future.
    Currently casting and loading: .32 Auto, .380 Auto, .38 Special, 9X19, .357 Magnum, .257 Roberts, 6.5 Creedmoor, .30 WCF, .308 WCF, .45-70.

If you are at 2-2.5" at 25 yards from that gun, I think you are done with sighting in and load development.

That is exceptional performance from a pocket gun.

Randy

Boolit Master
    As promised here are the groups. Somehow I had Iphone in video mode so I had to do screen capture. This is average group. Smallest was easy 2" but this was a consistent mag all day long
    Little update on trigger. Before 25c trigger job it was a full 8lb 2oz. Told you it was heavy. After 25c trigger it came in at 6lb 9oz. Still too heavy for my taste. When I detail stripped it I noticed it had same length firing pin spring as standard glock! Had some wolf springs left over from my G35 build and sure enough......Both springs were same length. A quick spring swap and it is now 4lb 4oz. much much better. I am sure some of that horizontal in the group will go away with a near 4lb reduction in pull weight. If you look at the group the vertical is a little over an inch.

Boolit Master
    Here is the 50 yd group 6 plus one on my 10x 10 plate. Can't wait to take it back out this weekend and see what I can do with new trigger pull.

Boolit Master
    Here is 14 shots ran this evening at 25yds with new trigger pull. Right at 2 inches but much easier to shoot. Still think it can do better the ones on bottom are actually wide left. I held my phone wrong. Those were me. Still with that it is acceptable and right at 2". I really enjoy shooting this thing.

Wow, 25 yards. That is so sweet, kind of makes me wish I had put the 42 on layaway instead of the 26.
    Currently casting and loading: .32 Auto, .380 Auto, .38 Special, 9X19, .357 Magnum, .257 Roberts, 6.5 Creedmoor, .30 WCF, .308 WCF, .45-70.

Boolit Buddy
    What is your load for the 42?

Since this thread came out, I bought a 42 and have done alot of work with it. I carry mine with 3.2 grains Titegroup under a 100 grain plated slug. It clocks 945 fps out of my pistol and is very accurate and easy to shoot. Also, Glock has come out with an upgraded connector for these pistols that reduces the formerly stiff trigger pull. I really like the 42, easily the best pistol that Glock makes.

Boolit Master
    I picked up a G42 and my wife took it, I'll have to spring for another although I also like my G43.

Boolit Master

kweidner,

It's worth knowing the Glock changed to a "Minus" connector on the 42 and 43 as the standard part after those in the know kept nagging that it was a bit of a bear to keep the gun from twitching to the support-hand side of the target with the hard pull the early ones came with. Usually they save the minus part for the long slide match guns and regard their use in duty guns as a major no-no, but in the case of the minis, it just puts it more on par with the standard 5.5# pull of the big models. Might be worth the upgrade.
    WWJMBD?

In the Land of Oz, we cast with wheel weight and 2% Tin, Man.

It is worth the upgrade, makes the pistol much easier to shoot.

Banned

put one in my 43 and it helped a lot and the gun hasn't missed a beat with it installed. Trigger breaks at 5.6lbs compared to 6.9 stock. I stay away from reduced power spring kits in my glocks anymore. I had a number of problems with lighting off anything but a fed primer after installing them.
    Quote Originally Posted by Bigslug View Post
    kweidner,

It's worth knowing the Glock changed to a "Minus" connector on the 42 and 43 as the standard part after those in the know kept nagging that it was a bit of a bear to keep the gun from twitching to the support-hand side of the target with the hard pull the early ones came with. Usually they save the minus part for the long slide match guns and regard their use in duty guns as a major no-no, but in the case of the minis, it just puts it more on par with the standard 5.5# pull of the big models. Might be worth the upgrade.