MidSouth Shooters SupplyLoad DataRotoMetals2Titan Reloading
Reloading EverythingInline FabricationWidenersSnyders Jerky
Lee Precision Repackbox
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: ASBBDT rocks!

I learned some more. I need more pellets in my climate. First batch was a tad spotty. Undecided if I will decorate or just try as is. Second is that long hemostats are not needed and actually a hindrance. A small curved end needle nose pliers worked much better. And lastly....I need another bowl. My gelato bowl (like the one in the video by chance) leaked that powder all over the place. Good news is my $10 eBay toaster oven was accurate and worked great

Quote Originally Posted by Alferd Packer View Post
    I was wondering about accelerated wear to the gun barrel by the powder coating.
    Has anyone looked into this?

Just asking.
    I'd like to be sure before I try this?
    This came up a few months ago and has pretty well been debunked. But it left the forum with a sensitivity that will keep scrutiny alive and no doubt detailed posts about barrel wear will show up if it ever happens.
    "The urge to save humanity is almost always a false front for the urge to rule." --H. L. Menchen

Good luck Markbo. There's still some discovery left to make, like fine tuning the techniques.
    "The urge to save humanity is almost always a false front for the urge to rule." --H. L. Menchen

Boolit Grand Master
    out of here, wandering somewhere in the SW.
    Quote Originally Posted by Alferd Packer View Post
    I was wondering about accelerated wear to the gun barrel by the powder coating.
    Has anyone looked into this?

Just asking.
    I'd like to be sure before I try this?
    Try it. You will love it and never use grease again. There is absolutely no documented proof (only speculation and "doubting Thomas" moanings) that PC harms your barrels.

Mabe if you shoot 250K rounds thru it, there may be some wear......just like FMJ's!

So, as they say in New Joisey........."Forgeeeeeet about it!"

Many hundreds of us are doing it with many many thousands of rounds fired with no probems, other than more time on our hands not wasted on cleaning and de-leading guns anymore!

bangerjim

OK... PC'd some left over cast bullets. 200 TCs for .45 Colt and 230gr RNFP for .45ACP. Now... what loads? Do I use the same loads I already have recorded for cast bullets or switch to jacketed bullet data? FWIW these are all practice loads I want to duplicate first and they are mild... but I will need to know anyway for future/faster/harder use.
    Last edited by Markbo; 07-24-2014 at 10:42 PM.

Boolit Grand Master
    out of here, wandering somewhere in the SW.
    Just load as you always do for cast.

I reduce FMJ loads by ~12% if no cast load is available as a starter.

banger

OK a little update. I just got back from the range. I was not able to shoot the revolvers (long story) but I was able to shoot a 1911 and a XDs in .45ACP. The PC bullets fed and shot just fine. It was a pet load so I knew the accuracy and it was just the same as it always is... no obvious difference.

Chamber and bore appeared bright and clean on both. Surprisingly so. Afterward I shot some of the same lead bullets that I had sized down to .451" after aloxing so I was curious to see what would happen. I noticed a pretty good film in the 1911 so I stopped after 3 magazines to get home and get a better look.

Turned out to be powder fouling. No leading whatsoever, so good news on both counts. Now I know I can shoot lead (I will alox after sizing next time though) bullets in my ACPs and I'll update on the .45 Colts in a day or two.

Thanks Markbo. Range reports are always good to get.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123