Reloading EverythingWidenersSnyders JerkyRotoMetals2
Lee PrecisionMidSouth Shooters SupplyRepackboxLoad Data
Inline Fabrication Titan Reloading

Thread: encore extractor / ejector

encore extractor / ejector

here goes again with something i really want to get info on concerning my encore rifle platform;

my encore has the stock extractor on the 25-06 barrel and it is a pita when a fst reload is required. i dearly want to change the extractor for a snappy ejector.

do any know if this can ever be a reality?

ok ... dont know what the deal is here ... maybe i have too much Body Odor ... maybe my questions are too ditzy to you all ... guess i need to learn my lessons in peace and quiet but it aint my style. i ussually have a thing or two to say and this is no different.

this is about the 4rth or 5th posting in this section and i never get any solid advise ... maybe the things i wonder about are too childish for you ... dont know. i do know that unlike anywhere else in this great forum ... this small section has to be the worst possible place to post a question or finding for myself ... every where else i am treated with dignity and respect and politely told the why of some of my mind dribblings but here ... just mostly silence.

i wont be back to this snobish little corner of an otherwise super great forum. i think enough of the rest of this forum that i send in money to support it but if the whole thing were handled like this section ... i most certainly would NOT support any part of it. thanks for nothing! i get it ... i will find out what i seek elswhere ...

Boolit Master
    I wouldn't necessarily accuse anyone of being snobish, possibly no one knows. I have myself had experience with the same thing you talk about and have witnessed another issue like this with a friends .35 Whelen.
    I sold my 6mm-06 Encore because of it, a weak system and chose to not try to fix a bad design.
    My friends .35 Whelen is down the road for the same reason. In my opinion the Encore should use rimmed cartridges only.
    Good Luck.

I've had and shot an Encore a lot, in a lot of calibers, I understand what your issue is, or, I've heard about it, I only once experienced an issue with tough extractions, and it was from a batch of 375 JDJ brass that I did not full length size. FLS is a requirement for the Encore/Contender platforms. Improperly re sized brass will stick badly.

Using only rimmed brass only limits the versatility of the Encore platform. Also, having clean, polished brass helps a lot.

It is a good idea but as far as I know no one sells an ejector kit for an encore. You could check with Mike Bellm.
    http://www.bellmtcs.com/store/index.php?cid=562 or maybe one of the other custom gunsmiths such as SSK
    http://sskindustries.com/. Good Luck!!

The Encore platform does not permit the necessary mechanics for an ejector. If you wanted such an animal you would have to do some pretty serious modification to the lug. Mainly making a new extractor/ejector that will travel further. Tighter spring to hold the E/E tighter on the rim (maybe). and drill a new stop hole for the cross pin to stop the E/E from further travel at the extent of the cycle. All without damage or modification to the bolt hole/assembly.

Can it be done? Likely. The question is more of, do you have the experience and mechanical know-how to do so?

I get your issue, but I can re-load my T/C's fast enough for me to take a second shot. If you are experiencing tough extraction of the brass you may want to back the load off a little or practice more with a follow up shot. I do this more in shotgunning, but I hold two shells between my fingers (index and mid finger, and then between mid and ring) and pull the fired case with my thumb and index and slap the new shell in, jack the action, cock the hammer, and away we go. This is on a T/C platform. I have 32ga, 24ga, and 20ga that I do this with. 410 on another (stevens) platform too. Not hard, and just takes practice and a lot cheaper than a modification.

Generally I would phrase this a little different, but my gruffness is in direct response to your negative comments. I tend to not post to comments if I don't have anything useful to say or help to give and I think that most are the same. So the lack of comments to your post are likely just that and the jump of conclusion to anyone here not "liking" you is a little childish. I'm not trying to be an ***, but your comment kinda rubbed me the wrong way. No hard feeling held though. If this is something you want to pursue I would be happy to help in the design and I happen to have a barrel shop for T/C's so I have the parts and know-how

first off i did not say i sniveled about "not being liked". i have spent a bit longer here on this forum then yourself and posted a few helpfull hints OVER THE YEARS for folks in my short stay here. till now i have been blissfully unaware of you or any of your thoughts so i recon you were not the intended recipient of my "negitive comments".

as to childish? guess we are not that unlike each other in this respect huh? i admire your understanding of the Encore platform and am thankfull for your insight and suggestion ... however ... blah blah blah ... ill shut up now that i have deleted most of my sad statement of displeassure. the writing and reading seems to be helpfull to release my "childish" written words of stupidity.

Boolit Master
    BIGTED.....The Encore is a picky finicky little beast. If your loaded rounds are hard to insert or eject... that is a sizing issue. if the fired case sticks coming out that is a "Too Hot of a Load issue.
    I know alot about the encore. been shooting one since they first came out.

When T/C came out with the encore, they could have engineered a spring loaded ejector.... but they didnt... because it was not feasible and more so, cost prohibitive.

I missed all the info you posted because i was not looking. curious as to what you are doing with your reloads.

There is much machining for an ejector and another style of ejector is needed, since your current one doesn't have a foot for the spring to load against. It can be done but it would easily cost more than the barrel is worth. T/C used to offer it but they obviously found the same to be true.

first off i did not say i sniveled about "not being liked". i have spent a bit longer here on this forum then yourself and posted a few helpfull hints OVER THE YEARS for folks in my short stay here. till now i have been blissfully unaware of you or any of your thoughts so i recon you were not the intended recipient of my "negitive comments".

as to childish? guess we are not that unlike each other in this respect huh? i admire your understanding of the Encore platform and am thankfull for your insight and suggestion ... however ... blah blah blah ... ill shut up now that i have deleted most of my sad statement of displeassure. the writing and reading seems to be helpfull to release my "childish" written words of stupidity.
    Touched a nerve 'eh?

Quote Originally Posted by reed1911 View Post
    Touched a nerve 'eh?
    maybe ... ... i must have touched one myself ...

and back to the encore ... my empty cases come rite out without sticking any ... just that when i desire a fast reload [kinda like the Ruger #1 & 3 where they just spit out] the Encore has the need to finger the empty outta the way before the next round can be placed in the chamber.

it all works to expectation for an extractor gun ... just wondered if it could be easily changed to an ejector. guess i got my answer and i appreciate the replies thus far ... mostly ... ...

Boolit Master
    if anyone knows for sure, it would be the custom barrel maker that specializes in the encore.
    one of them is MATCH GRADE MACHINE. ST. GEORGE UTAH

T/C custom shop used to make an ejector for barrels on the contender. I think you have to machine the lug for it before you weld on barrel. Been a long time since I got rid of the only one I've seen. Never heard of a retro fit for one.

Alternative is to check Bellm site for the mod to machine away the breech a bit to make case head much easier to grab. Was going to do it to a 45/70 but... http://www.bellmtcs.com/store/index.php?cid=174
    I'm just the welder, go ask him>